Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Before the Fall

by Noah Hawley

Constellation by Adrien Bosc (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: It too is a novel telling of an airplane crash--this, of a real one--and of the lives and thoughts of some of the passengers.

English (119)  German (1)  All (120)
The story begins with a mixed group of people taking a private plane from Martha's Vineyard to Teterboro Airport in NJ.

An extremely wealthy man (who is always too busy), his wife, his young daughter (who had once been kidnapped) and his young son. And their guard.

A neighbor of theirs who is going to be indicted for laundering money and his wife. And another neighbor (a painter) who was invited along.

A pilot, a co-pilot and an attendant.

The plane crashes and the painter and youngest son survive.

What happened the plane crashed. How was the painter able to survive and carry the young child with him.

The book goes back to the lives of all those on board prior to the crash. And it continues on for the painter and the little boy. Great read ( )
  joannemonck | Oct 16, 2017 |
Great mystery novel with a very time relevant message about today's "news". ( )
  Guide2 | Aug 26, 2017 |
This was a well done book in all areas. Interesting plot, good character developed, and a nice pace made this book a joy to read. ( )
  ChrisWay | Aug 22, 2017 |
DNF:
Mlerg. A small private plane goes down in the Atlantic, killing everyone on board except Scott, a small-time painter who had been offered a lift by one of the wealthy owners of the plane, and JJ, the young son of one of the wealthy owners of the plane. Scott swims to shore with JJ on his back and is hailed as a hero. Then we get the story of the people trying to figure out what happened to the plane and of each of the people on the plane, told through flashbacks. *shrug* I like Scott a lot and was invested in his story, especially how he felt connected to JJ after their ordeal. But much of the book is not about him (I quit about halfway through), and I can't stand any of the other characters. And I don't feel terribly compelled to find out what happened to the plane either. My suspicion is that one of the nasty, greedy humans circling around the event made it crash for some nasty, greedy reason. Nothing I've read in the first half of the book makes me think there's anything more interesting than that going on. Put that along with characters I'm not interested in and writing that's certainly fine but not a reason in and of itself to read the thing, and I'm out. ( )
  lycomayflower | Aug 22, 2017 |
This was a very intriguing novel. It starts out with nine people aboard a private plane, heading back to New York from Martha's Vineyard. Only two survive, aspiring artist Scott Burroughs and a four year old boy. The story then switches back and forth between Scott’s attempts to adjust to life, and the individual stories of the plane's other passengers before the crash.

I thought the author did a wonderful job of examining each passenger or crew member and made each one believable. While the story is billed as a thriller, I think it's really more of a character driven novel that focuses on such diverse subjects as art, love, compassion, the role of media, and wealth. The book was very well written and the stories of each of the characters kept me reading. I think the ending was slightly disappointing but, overall, I really enjoyed my time with this book and think it would make a great movie.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
For Kyle
A private plane sits on a runway in Martha's Vineyard, forward stairs deployed.

A story about eleven people-ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter-depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York.  Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are the painter-and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

Although the characters are reasonably well-developed, the plot is predictable with the events relatively easy to anticipate and the ending is not only unsatisfying but extremely unimaginative.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible