Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Before the Fall (edition 2017)

by Noah Hawley (Author)

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Before the Fall
Authors:Noah Hawley (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Audio books
Tags:CA, ODMD, sansa

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Constellation by Adrien Bosc (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: It too is a novel telling of an airplane crash--this, of a real one--and of the lives and thoughts of some of the passengers.

English (110)  German (1)  All (111)
When a lone man and a small boy are the only survivors of a crash of a private plane, the man must swim the freezing cold ocean with the frightened boy on his back.

By random chance, the man was invited to join the members en route from Mass. to New York. Well written, the author keeps the reader guessing who was responsible for the crash. Not many members, some of whom were exceedingly rich. Chapter after chapter is filled with descriptions of each of the passengers and what they have lost.

The ending is unexpected, and a bit of a let down.

Overall, I recommend this one. ( )
  Whisper1 | May 31, 2017 |
When I initially saw this book, I was not impressed. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I did and it looked bland. Additionally, suspense is usually not the genre that I gravitate towards. However, after hearing buzz on social media, I thought I would see what it was all about if only to be able to offer discussion and recommendations to my patrons.
I was pleasantly surprised. It starts out with a plane crash and works through the lives of the survivors and everyone involved with flashbacks into the lives of those that did not survive. I have been recommending it to my patrons and have not heard a bad word about it. ( )
  Bibliophilly | May 30, 2017 |
Although the ending is a bit abrupt, but the characters are well developed and with good story line. It is a bit hard to take for the angry white male side of thing due to current politic environment. ( )
  Baochuan | May 23, 2017 |
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley is the winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel 2017. Noah Hawley is a television writer and producer, screenwriter, and bestselling author, best known for creating and writing the FX television series Fargo and Legion. This is the story of a recovering alcoholic artist who gets on a private plane at the last minute on his way to New York to set up a showing of his more recent paintings and ends up finding himself swimming for shore like Jack Lelane, hauling a four year old boy instead of a boat. The story is about survival and how one copes with surviving such a disaster but it is also about the condition of journalism that is more interested in ratings and telling a story rather than reporting facts. I started this book May 1st and finished May 3rd so I guess I would say this story pulls you in and doesn't let go. The setting is the current times (2015). I have to say, the descriptions of the paintings are really intriguing and while I know this is a work a fiction, I would like to see them. So this story is about how we tell ourselves stories in the absence of facts, its about the randomness of life that will place one person on a plane that is going to crash while another stays home and it is about loss. It's a really great story that captures the spirit of the age and mood of the current times. It's a mystery and it has some great characters. Most glaring is the loud mouth journalist. My rating 4.13 ( )
  Kristelh | May 3, 2017 |
I was caught up in this book from beginning to end, and I love the unresolved ending. I kept getting visions of Fox News and Bill O’Reilly as I read about the abrasive news commentator Bill Cunningham. How a mysterious plane crash involving the head of a conservative TV news channel is used by Cunningham to increase his audience and the comeuppance he gets at the end by the lone adult survivor of the crash who points out on air how phones were illegally tapped to get information is great. I love books with clear heroes and villains. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 23, 2017 |
For Kyle
A private plane sits on a runway in Martha's Vineyard, forward stairs deployed.

A story about eleven people-ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter-depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York.  Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are the painter-and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

Although the characters are reasonably well-developed, the plot is predictable with the events relatively easy to anticipate and the ending is not only unsatisfying but extremely unimaginative.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible