Personal: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child

Personal: A Jack Reacher Novel (edition 2015)

by Lee Child (Author)

Member:adamtyoung
Title:Personal: A Jack Reacher Novel
Authors:Lee Child (Author)
Info:Dell (2015), Edition: Reissue, 544 pages

Personal [with bonus short story 'Not a Drill'] by Lee Child

The setting was much more believable in this one (compared to the previous book in the series), and, otherwise, it's the same old Jack Reacher doing what he does best.

There is a little less physical violence in this one, a little more "thinking", and possibly a bit more mystery (though we don't read these books for the plot/mystery do we...)

I enjoyed it. Read it in a single sitting, and it didn't challenge my brain too much. I will read any more books about Jack Reacher that Child wants to put out there. ( )
  crazybatcow | Oct 21, 2016 |
I have to admit - I'm a fan of most "action" books. I enjoy the fast pace, the never die characters the complex stories that seem so unlikely-yet-likely at the same time. I had never read a Jack Reacher story and when I was given this book to read it seemed just like what I like. And while I did finally get into it (after a few chapters), I never did come to LOVE it. Jack Reacher is working to stop a sniper (who he put in jail) who has tried to kill he French President. Filled with action, surprise and suspense - there was just something that was missing for me. ( )
  sunnydrk | Aug 24, 2016 |
While I generally love Lee Child's Jack Reacher stories, this one fell a little flat for me. Not sure if it was because it was based mostly in London and not the typical Reacher scenario. In this story, an old army colleague calls in a favor to have Reacher help capture (kill?) a sniper or snipers thought to have been hired to kill one or more world leaders. It's all a bit too much and not as tightly driven as most of Child's works. Also, sort of an odd Reacher not to have a love interest, or someone he is pining for (though he has aged quite a bit after 19 novels). Overall, a decent and fun read, but not the best. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Mar 9, 2016 |
Jack Reacher is called in to fulfill a debt he owes to someone at the CIA. A sniper has taken a shot at the French president and now the higher ups are worried that the G8 summit will be the snipers next target. One of the suspects for the sniper is John Kott who Reacher put in jail 16 years ago but he's now paroled and has gone missing. This is the 14th book in the series and I haven't read any other books in the series. I'm curious if other books give more background on Reacher. Overall a good thriller with an ending I didn't expect. ( )
  RachelNF | Feb 14, 2016 |
This was a typical Reacher, only this time based mainly overseas, so he has to work within, or without, other laws and jurisdictions.
Because of his history with a killer, who had been put away (thanks to Reacher), he is called back onto duty to try and track this man (or possibly others) threatening to assassinate world leaders at a conference.
The story is set a bit in the States and then moves on to London and Paris. It wasn't as immediately grabbing as usual and I wasn't able to suspend belief for the final revelation. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Do not combine this 2-in-1 book with the individual stories contained in the book. Thanks.

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Jack Reacher returns in the latest fast-moving, action-packed, suspenseful book from Lee Child.

You can leave the army, but the army doesn’t leave you. Not always. Not completely, notes Jack Reacher—and sure enough, the retired military cop is soon pulled back into service. This time, for the State Department and the CIA.

Someone has taken a shot at the president of France in the City of Light. The bullet was American. The distance between the gunman and the target was exceptional. How many snipers can shoot from three-quarters of a mile with total confidence? Very few, but John Kott—an American marksman gone bad—is one of them. And after fifteen years in prison, he’s out, unaccounted for, and likely drawing a bead on a G8 summit packed with enough world leaders to tempt any assassin.

If anyone can stop Kott, it’s the man who beat him before: Reacher. And though he’d rather work alone, Reacher is teamed with Casey Nice, a rookie analyst who keeps her cool with Zoloft. But they’re facing a rough road, full of ruthless mobsters, Serbian thugs, close calls, double-crosses—and no backup if they’re caught. All the while Reacher can’t stop thinking about the woman he once failed to save. But he won’t let that that happen again. Not this time. Not Nice.

Reacher never gets too close. But now a killer is making it personal.

Praise for Personal

“The best one yet.”—Stephen King

“Reacher is the stuff of myth, a great male fantasy. . . . One of this century’s most original, tantalizing pop-fiction heroes . . . Child does a masterly job of bringing his adventure to life with endless surprises and fierce suspense.”—The Washington Post

“Yet another satisfying page-turner.”—Entertainment Weekly

“Reacher is always up for a good fight, most entertainingly when he goes mano a mano with a seven-foot, 300-pound monster of a mobster named Little Joey. But it’s Reacher the Teacher who wows here.”—Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times

“Jack Reacher is today’s James Bond, a thriller hero we can’t get enough of. I read every one as soon as it appears.”—Ken Follett

“Reacher’s just one of fiction’s great mysterious strangers.”Maxim

“If you like fast-moving thrillers, you’ll want to take a look at this one.”—John Sandford

“Fans won’t be disappointed by this suspense-filled, riveting thriller.”Library Journal (starred review)

“Child is the alpha dog of thriller writers, each new book zooming to the top of best-seller lists with the velocity of a Reacher head butt.”Booklist

“Every Reacher novel delivers a jolt to the nervous system.”Kirkus Reviews

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 10 Nov 2015 05:06:50 -0500)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,690,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible