Heart of Stone by Trevor Baxendale
1121,200,109 (3.25)None

3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I still have to watch the last season of Doctor Who, but since I don't have a lot of time I'm coping for the moment with reading these short Doctor Who books. Which also focus on characters that I like better.

The 11th Doctor, Amy and Rory find themselves on a farm where they find some weird moon rock. Definitely something strange is going on.

I really quite liked this one. It was a reading an episode of the series. which always is a good thing. It was a very quick read as well, the story moved fast and there was a nice mystery to solve. The characters from the series were portrayed very well in my opinion. I would certainly pick up other Doctor Who novels by this author.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Out of the few Doctor Who novels I've read in the past few years, this one did the best job of capturing the feel of the show. The Doctor (#11) felt like pretty much like the Doctor; Amy and Rory felt pretty much like Amy and Rory. And Amy wasn't nasty and unpleasant as she was in the others.

So the TARDIS lands in the pig pen of an English farm, and turns out there's a monster on the loose – a huge man made of stone, who turns everything it touches to stone. And that's sort of a problem with the story, because the author seems to kind of forget about that when int's inconvenient; there's a dog whose condition is never addressed, and also a pregnant pig. The former bothered me for obvious reasons (dog), and the latter was probably pretty important to the farm. Since both animals were specifically singled out in the writing, I was surprised their fates weren't followed up.

When the Doctor says "Do you remember I said that the transformation was unstable, and therefore reversible?" it results in eye-rolling and and a sighed "Yes, I do, because you've repeated it a good half dozen times now".

And … I'm sorry … TARDIS in pig pen. And no one comments on it – or the fact that three adults pile in and out of it on a regular basis. I know Doctor Who isn't a model of logic and sense at the best of times – but … big blue box in a pig pen. Unusual, no? But no one raises an eyebrow. Not even the pigs.

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review. ( )
  Stewartry | Mar 30, 2016 |

The Doctor, Amy and Rory are surprised to discover lumps of moon rock scattered around a farm. But things get even stranger when they find out where the moon rock is coming from--a Rock Man is turning everything he touches to stone! Can the Doctor, Amy and Rory find out what the creature wants before it's too late?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,918,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible