Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Booklist-Dec. 2016
  CamiYoung | Jun 26, 2017 |
Booklist-Dec. 2016
  CamiYoung | Jun 24, 2017 |
Cyra is the feared and hated sister of Ryzek Noavek, leader of the Shotet people. Possessing a deadly currentgift she can't control and which causes her insufferable pain, Cyra has been manipulated into serving as her tyrant brother's executioner and torture device. However, few people understand how she has been exploited. That is, until Akos and his brother are captured by Shotet soldiers and forced into servitude in the Noavek manor. Thrust together, Cyra and Akos struggle to overcome their animosity in order to save themselves and one another.

It's easy for me to see why so many people chose to quit Carve the Mark early. I stuck with it because I was intrigued by the world, despite its vagueness, and interested enough in the characters, despite their tendency to not do much of anything, but I spent about 75% of the book wishing Roth would pick up the pace. All of the elements had possibility, it was just... dull. If the second installment was already released I'd probably read it, but it's likely I'll lose interest long before it's published. ( )
  GennaC | Jun 21, 2017 |
The story of Cyra and Akos from enemy countries ... ( )
  EvaW | Jun 18, 2017 |
This beginning of a new series has many elements in common with the "Divergent" series, but in a very different universe. And in fact, Roth spends much of the book on world-building rather than on character-building. In this world, there is a “current” circling the planetary system, and everyone comes into a “gift” from the current when they reach puberty.

Two warring nations on one particular planet are the focus of the story: Shotet and Thuvhe. You will be shocked, shocked to learn there are two attractive 16-year-olds, one from each nation - a boy, Akos, and a girl, Cyra, that are destined to get together.

Cyra Noavek has an unusual “currentgift" - more like a curse, at least at first - she has chronic pain, which she can transfer to other people by touching them. It is so intense that prolonged contact with Cyra can kill the other person. Her evil brother Ryzek, now the leader of the Shotet nation, uses Cyra as his “scourge” to punish his enemies.

Cyra’s people, the Shotet, manage to kidnap two Thuvhens, Akos and Eijeh Kereseth, from across the border and bring them to Shotet. Ryzek wanted Eijeh because Eijeh’s gift is to prophesize. Akos is useful since his gift is to disrupt the current of the gifts of others. By touching Cyra, he can control her pain enough for Ryzek to have her to appear in public with him and do his bidding (which usually involves torture).

Akos is desperate to get Eijeh out of Shotet, because the gift Ryzek has is destroying Eijeh. But Ryzek has eyes everywhere, and a gang of thugs to support him. As Cyra and Akos grow closer, they both try to give each other strength and courage to stand up to injustice.

Evaluation: This book has a predictable attraction between two teens from two enemy groups; very evil people trying to take over the government; a resistance group; lots of training in fighting and weaponry; family loyalty questions; heartbreaking loss; a great deal of angst; and some personal growth, even though it’s only book one.

But I was not impressed with the derivative plot, the superficial characterizations - most of which lacked nuance, or the flimsy motivation for Cyra doing Ryzek’s evil bidding.

While I have seen a number of reviews for this book that condemn a perceived dichotomy between evil dark people and good light people, I didn’t think the comparative characteristics of each group was that straightforward. In my view, each had a mix of good and bad people. But adding color to one side or the other didn’t seem to serve any purpose in any event.

While I didn’t hate this book, I can’t see myself seeking out the next installment. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 16, 2017 |
To Ingrid and Karl -
because there is no version of you I don't love
Hushflowers always bloomed when the night was longest.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible