Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Carve the Mark

by Veronica Roth

English (33)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
2.5 stars.
This was an interesting story, and I liked it, but there was so much "I'M SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON, NO ONE CAN LOVE ME" going on that it got annoying. And a lot of the characters were living cliches. The world building was nice, but it could have been so much better. You learn next to nothing about the world. I know that more will be learned in the next book, but if you can read an entire book and hardly know anything about the entire galaxy, then something is wrong. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Veronica's new book - Carve the Mark, takes place in another world, in another galaxy and I would like to be there. The book is told from the perspective of Sierra and Akos, two boys from enemy nations that exist on the same planet.

Unlike her former best seller books, here in this one, the beginning was a little slow and incomprehensible, I felt I wasn't connecting, but I kept on reading, and lucky for me to do so - After this introduction came a fantastic book.
The characters are lovely, and the places are amazing, Veronica's imagination, once again, does wonder!

I know that I make arguments about how excellent the book is, but remember that some things weren't so. For example, the brother of Akos, Elijah, is described at first as a durable man who is hard to change his indifferent expression, but later on, he described as a weeping man, These things cannot coexist. Throughout the book there are a few other small mistakes that I assume will be corrected in the next edition, but they don't detract from the pleasure of this book.

The idea was beautiful and original, and I certainly want to read the next one. ( )
  Ramonremires | Jan 14, 2019 |
There was a hunger inside me, and there always had been. That hunger was stronger than pain, stronger than horror. It gnawed even after everything else inside me had given up. It was not hope; it did not soar; it slithered, clawed, and dragged, and it would not let me stop.

And when I finally named it, I found it was something very simple: the desire to live.

This book is just Divergent with a face lift and some eyeshadow; it's just Divergent with better worldbuilding and better characters, and set in space this time. New and improved. Divergent 2.0

This is told in two perspectives, which only started working about halfway through the book, once Cyra actually started doing things. The first perspective, Akos', is told in third person, and was very well done. Honestly, if someone told me that Cyra's first person was written by a different author, I would believe them. Akos immediately hooked me, and Cyra immediately bored me. I cannot fathom why Roth felt the need to write in two different styles. I thought, perhaps, that the reason was Cyra's isolated and sensation-themed nature, and that the first person was to better show her introspection as a result of her life, but instead it was so unbelievably dull most of the time. She doesn't describe her pain, just says where on her body the currentshadows are now, which tells me absolutely nothing. Akos, however, was sufficiently introspective even in third person. It's utterly baffling.

Also, the first third (after Akos' initial scenes) were SO BORING and they're supposed to be the basis of the romance between the two leads (hint: they failed).

The world was awesome though! I really enjoyed it, and the worldbuilding was done super well. I'm a big fan of space opera, science fantasy stuff. Please explore more planets in the sequel! I also really liked the themes for the most part, and found that many of tropes taken straight out of Divergent fit better here, adding more meaning to the story instead of making it convoluted.

Maybe I could change. Maybe I was changing, just by believing I could. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
I love Veronica Roth!

Ms. Roth knows how to create a world I enjoy getting lost in. Carve the Mark is no different. I hate that I devour her books and then have to wait so long for the next one. But that won't be stopping me anytime soon! I can't wait for more Cyra and Akos! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Mijn volledige recensie is terug te vinden op:

Zowel Cyra en Akos bewijzen dat ondanks vele problemen het goede kan overwinnen.
Ik vind het een geweldig boek.
Er schijnt enige ophef over te zijn? Wel ik wil het niet lezen of weten.
Ik vind het een prima verhaal, kom maar op met het volgende deel!
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
To Ingrid and Karl -
because there is no version of you I don't love
Hushflowers always bloomed when the night was longest.

Living on a violent planet where everyone develops a unique power meant to shape the future, Akos and Cyra, youths from enemy nations, resent gifts that render them vulnerable to others' control before they become unlikely survival partners.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,186,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible