Hunted by Meagan Spooner

Hunted (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Meagan Spooner (Author)

New York Times bestselling author Meagan Spooner spins a thoroughly thrilling Beauty and the Beast story for the modern age, expertly woven with spellbinding romance, intrigue, and suspense that readers won't soon be able to forget. Beauty knows the Beast's forest in her bones--and in her blood. After all, her father is the only hunter who's ever come close to discovering its secrets. So when her father loses his fortune and moves Yeva and her sisters out of their comfortable home among the aristocracy and back to the outskirts of town, Yeva is secretly relieved. Out in the wilderness, there's no pressure to make idle chatter with vapid baronessas...or to submit to marrying a wealthy gentleman. But Yeva's father's misfortune may have cost him his mind, and when he goes missing in the woods, Yeva sets her sights on one prey: the creature he'd been obsessively tracking just before his disappearance. The Beast. Deaf to her sisters' protests, Yeva hunts this strange creature back into his own territory--a cursed valley, a ruined castle, and a world of magical creatures that Yeva's only heard about in fairy tales. A world that can bring her ruin, or salvation. Who will survive: the Beauty, or the Beast?… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Hunted
Authors:Meagan Spooner (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2017), Edition: Reprint, 335 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Hunted by Meagan Spooner (2017)

3.25 ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
Sort of conflicted about this one. I was flipping between 2 stars and 3 stars for the first 60% and 3 stars and 4 stars for the last 40%, so I ultimately decided to go with 3 stars. It seems most fair to how I feel.

I did really want to like this. I buddy read it with Nana, and it's one of her favorites, so I wasn't going in expecting trash, and I didn't get trash. But it just...didn't really do it for me. I was fine with the opening scenes and exposition, with the characterization and the pacing. I was fine with the writing and the plot.

And that's the thing. It was fine and that's about it.

Yeva, our MC, was constantly switching between being dumb as a plank of wood and being very perceptive. The most obvious things fly right over her head, like that her "ally" with the ability to access her belongings, move about the room, and open locked doors, is the Beast. For some reason, it takes her an extremely long time to figure it out, and only when it's made even more obvious. But then she's like "oh, of course, he can't tell me about the reason why he needs a hunter and what I'm going to be hunting! he must be under a curse, and when things are under curses, they can't talk about being under curses, so that explains why he's not divulging information" and she's right. And there's literally a scene in which the Beast asks Yeva if she can navigate by scent and sound, and she implies that she cannot. And then several chapters later she literally navigates by scent and sound in the exact same hallway as before. Like, wtf???

The Beast was extremely angsty and emo, but I liked his chapter interludes enough. I didn't care for the romance. I didn't care for whole Solmir thing either, though I did appreciate that he wasn't just a regular Gaston. It made the plot a bit less predictable.

The writing contributed a lot to my general apathy, as it seems largely apathetic about it's own content tbh. I expect slightly more flowery--but not pretentious--writing for fantasy, and this was almost there, but was too afraid of the pretentious undertones that it ended up avoiding the magic it had the potential for.

There was one sequence that I loved, in chapter 14, and that was what turned the tide from lowkey extremely bored to pretty darn intrigued. It was spooky and exciting. I really liked it. And then the plot went back into just fine territory, and I was bored again. I liked the very ending enough, but I didn't love it, and ultimately, I found this largely forgettable. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jul 28, 2019 |
This is a retelling of Beauty and Beast with an obvious Russian influence. Yeva is the youngest of three sisters and is the most beautiful. As a young child she run the through the forest and hunt with her father. Now that she is a young women she is being sent to court as one of the baronessa's ladies, but Yeva would rather be out hunting. Eventually, Yeva's father loses his fortune and moves the family to edge of town that borders the woods. Yeva's father is convinced there is a "beast" in the woods and goes out to hunt him one day and never returns. Determined to get her father back, Yeva sets out to find him and hunt the beast. And she succeeds in tracking the beast back to the desolate valley he lives in. In the valley Yeva discovers a ruined castle and creatures she's only hear about in fairy tales. True to Beauty and the Beast tales, Yeva is captured by the beast and must figure a way out of the predicament. Along the way she is forced to interact with the surly beast and learns of his curse. Now she is determined to help him break it and return home to her family. ( )
  hfuhriman | Jul 9, 2019 |
Oh dear.

When it comes to YA fantasy books, I've largely found them to be fluffy flat messes with terrible writing, plot, and characters and the prettiest book covers you ever did see. Still, I keep coming back because occasionally, one is really damn good. And also because those book covers are like crack.

So I took Hunted with a fistful of salt. Sure, it got good reviews. But Beauty and the Beast retellings are a dime a dozen (I've read several on the past couple of years), and I was very prepared for another fluffy mess.

Except Hunted was really good. The writing was solid, if not excellent. The characters were great, the plot moved along. Even when there wasn't much happening story-wise, I was engaged and interested. It looked like Hunted was going to be the rare YA fantasy novel that succeeded.

And then the book tripped over its metaphorical feet and fell flat, and the whole venture collapsed. The end, epilogue.

What really ruined this book was the attempt to combine two very different (and in my opinion totally incongruent) fairytales: Beauty and the Beast and Ivan and the Firebird. Spooner really does her darndest to smush the two stories together, but they frankly aren't meant to. And Spooner's Russian countryside setting is a bit thin, to be honest. A I've read a lot of pseudo-Russian fantasies in my time, and I have a fairly high standard.

Clearly, Spooner recognized that Beauty and the Beast novels are overdone and sought to make her story stand out by adding in the Firebird element. But it just doesn't work. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
A delightful retelling of one of my favourite fairytales ( )
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |

Meagan Spoonerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Damron, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maarleveld, SaskiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the girl who reads by flashlight, who sees dragons in the clouds, who feels most alive in worlds that never were, who knows magic is real, who dreams
This is for you.
We always know before the change comes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,532,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible