The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim…

The Memory Keeper's Daughter (2005)

by Kim Edwards

13,672433154 (3.46)1 / 390
Member:joririchardson
Title:The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Authors:Kim Edwards
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Life, Family, Daughters, Mysterious Identity, Secrets, Adoption, Marriage, Down Syndrome, Doctors, Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (2005)

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard (ainsleytewce)
    The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry (thekoolaidmom)
    thekoolaidmom: The idea of a still point moment affecting the rest of your life and the consequences of a decision are prevelent in both books.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (bnbookgirl)
    Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh (ainsleytewce)
    Velocity by Dean Koontz (cometahalley)
    So Far Away by Meg Mitchell Moore (baystateRA)
    The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon (jenreidreads)
    jenreidreads: Similar subject matter, but Simon's novel is written better.
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (paulkid)
    paulkid: Physician-fathers, twins, poor decisions.
    The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (aliklein)

English (423)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (431)
A very sad book focusing on a secret and what it can do to one's life. True, there are some unlikely and hard to imagine moments in the book, but it is the overall atmosphere that I liked. I think the author managed well to draw a parallel between 1960s when the twins were born and the present times. There are many seemingly unimportant characters in the story, but I liked that and I think it added some value to the whole story. However, this is not the book that most people would like. I did. I find it very emotional and moving. Kim Edwards is a great writer who knows a lot about emotions and relationships and how to put those in words. ( )
  Mrvica | Jul 6, 2016 |
Did not like this book at all. ( )
  AveNegron | Jun 29, 2016 |
Overall, I liked the book and read it quite quickly. I wanted to know how the secret was going to be revealed. I also thought the author had profound insight about the fragility of our lives and how an event, a wrong choice, can change one’s life forever and of those around us. I understand it is a debut novel, there are many things I did not like: Paul’s character oftentimes was insufferable, was there really a need for Rosemary to be part of David Henry’s life for 5 years? Or was there a need for Rosemary at all? I also felt a bit let down on how the secret was revealed, as David Henry died the book lost a lot of its ‘power’, I would rather he had revealed the secret. I thought that his death was an ‘easy’ escape as if the author did not know what to do with him. I also thought the sugary Norah & Frederic plot was too much of a contrast with the rest of the book story-line, and grey hair in early twenties ... But, all in all, I liked the book, Kim does a great job in bringing to light the difficulty and stigma, unfortunately, attached to children with special needs and I liked the poetical and beautiful passages thrown here and there over the pages. ( )
  Acia | May 2, 2016 |
Could you raise a special needs child? What would you do if your child was born them? David Henry is faced with that decision when his wife goes into labor in the early 60's, a time when raising a child with special needs was not heard of. This is a decision that effects his family for the next 20 years.

This was a decent book. It took me sometime to get into the book but I liked the last half of it. I felt terrible for characters at times, to go through grief that otherwise could have been prevented. One lie led to this. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
Wonderful! Not at all what I expected. The story unfolds over 24 years of missteps and wrong decisions. The pain of one decision has ramifications far beyond what he could imagine. Not sure what Rosemary was doing in the book, so only 4 stars.

David Henry is a man who has walled off his emotions and who is used to keeping secrets. He marries the lovely Norah just 3 months after first seeing her in a department store.

When their first child is due a snow storm hits and David, who is an orthopaedic surgeon, is forced to deliver the child himself. He manages to get Norah to his clinic and his nurse manages to arrive just in time to provide the anesthetic (1964, they still gave mothers ether to knock them out). His son, Paul, is perfect, but when he is expecting the afterbirth, instead he delivers a second child. Tiny, with obvious physical characteristics, Phoebe is born with Down syndrome.

David doesn’t want Norah to know – he believes she is fragile. And, as is typical for the time, he instructs nurse Caroline Gill to take the child to an institution for the feeble minded. It’s a split-second decision and one he will not reverse. But Caroline can’t bear to leave the infant in “that terrible place,” so she takes Phoebe to a different city and raises her there.

How this one split-second decision – and all the decisions that result – come to affect all the parties involved is the crux of this novel. It takes you in directions you’re not sure you want to follow. It feels very intimate and the reader is uncomfortable at times. The ending leaves room for a sequel. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 12, 2016 |
Kim Edwards's debut novel is a winner, and those who read THE MEMORY KEEPER'S DAUGHTER are going to want to read her next one. Highly recommended.

For Abigail and Naomi
The snow started to fall several hours before her labor began.
They'd live their lives day by day, each one taking them another step away from their lost daughter.
... when he slid his arms around her again, he was thinking, I love you. I love you so much, and I lied to you. And the distance between them, millimeters only, the space of a breath, opened up and deepened, became a cavern at whose edge he stood.
Their lost daughter still hovered between them; their lives had shaped themselves around her absence.
She did not know that her discarded clothes fluttered in a wind that he himself had set in motion so many years ago.
This was the grief he had carried with him, heavy as a stone in his heart. This was the grief he had tried to spare Norah and Paul, only to create so many others.

A heart wrenching novel about human choice. Dr. David Henry makes a choice that forever changes lives of his family. Edwards delves into her characters and makes the reader feel as thought they are looking through a window into someone's life.

Award-winning writer Kim Edwards's The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted family drama that explores every mother's silent fear: what would happen if you lost your child and she grew up without you?

On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy. Yet when his daughter is born, he sees immediately that she has Down's syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the baby away to an institution and never to reveal the secret. But Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the infant. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child herself. So begins this beautifully told story that unfolds over a quarter of a century in which these two families, ignorant of each other, are yet bound by David Henry's fateful decision that long-ago winter night.

A rich and deeply moving page-turner, The Memory Keeper's Daughter captures the way life takes unexpected turns and how the mysterious ties that hold a family together help us survive the heartache that occurs when long-buried secrets burst into the open. It is an astonishing tale of redemptive love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

"On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy. Yet when his daughter is born, he sees immediately that she has Down's Syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split-second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the baby away to an institution and never to reveal the secret. But Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the infant. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child herself. So begins this story that unfolds over a quarter of a century - in which these two families, ignorant of each other, are yet bound by the fateful decision made that long-ago winter night. Norah henry, who knows only that her daughter died at birth, remains inconsolable; her grief weighs heavily on their marriage. And Paul, their son, raises himself as best he can, in a house grown cold with mourning. Meanwhile, Phoebe, the lost daughter, grows from a sunny child to a vibrant young woman whose mother loves her as fiercely as if she were her own." "The Memory Keeper's Daughter articulates a silent fear close to the heart of every mother: What would happen if you lost your child, and she grew up without you?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,592,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible