The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

The Fate of the Tearling

by Erika Johansen

4371934,879 (3.66)39

mom (152)

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
2.5 stars. I'm torn because this book would have gotten 4 stars if not for that ending, so I rounded up to 3 for the rating. It was so aggravating. I hate when authors write a good story and then ruin it with the ending. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
The Fate of the Tearling (dt. Die Königin der Schatten - Verbannt) ist der mitreißende Abschlussband der Tearling-Saga. Wie auch im zweiten Band begleitet man Queen Kelsea im aktuellen Geschehen, aber ungefähr gleichwertig daneben stehen ihre Visionen, durch die man viel aus der Anfangszeit der Siedler erfährt. Und dabei wird deutlich, dass es gar nicht so einfach ist, eine "bessere Welt" zu erschaffen, wenn diese auf dem "alle sind gleich"-Prinzip beruhen soll. Und so setzt man sich beim Lesen wieder mit den verschiedenen Gesellschaftsformen auseinander. Kelseas Geschichte bleibt klassische Fantasy, die durch die verschiedenen Zeitebenen meiner Meinung nach eine interessante Wendung erhält. Und waren die dystopischen Elemente im zweiten Band in der Vergangenheit deutlich, im aktuellen Erzählstrang aber nur zu erahnen - hier treten sie nun deutlich zu Tage. Aber Erika Johansen nutzt die Möglichkeiten der Fantasy geschickt, um einen überzeugenden Abschluss der Trilogie zu liefern. Klare Lesempfehlung für die ganze Trilogie - man sollte aber darauf gefasst sein, dass die Bücher nur schwer wegzulegen sind.
  ahzim | May 10, 2018 |
That ending was not what I was expecting, yet I liked it. It definitely left things open and I was still satisfied, if not a little melancholy for Kelsea's situation.

I really enjoyed the characters and their development in this novel, having the addition of Katie was great too. I liked that we got the backstory of Row and The Fetch, and saw how the Tearling became what it was. The world building was done really well. The flashback device was used superbly and I quite enjoyed getting to see the two timelines. I liked how Kelsea developed and came back to herself, and how she fought for her queendom.

The overall plot was paced well, even though I felt like not a lot happened - it didn't hinder the story. I found that the descriptions and scenes were laid out in a way that made the story flow well and kept the pace up. This was very well crafted. I definitely feel like these novels improved as the series went on. I went from feeling meh about the first book to really enjoying the conclusion!

Overall, this was a great series and I am glad that I have finally finished it! ( )
  jdifelice | Mar 5, 2018 |
As disappointed as I am in the last chapter, this book was pretty compelling. The ending nearly ruins the whole series for me. It feels too much like martyrdom. Although, really, was Johansen going to do anything differently? The solution was hinted at through the entire series. ( )
  lesmel | Oct 5, 2017 |
This series was great. I went into the library *on my day off* to pick up this final instalment. Loved it. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Voor Shane, die me nooit vraagt om iemand anders te zijn
Long before the Red Queen of Mortmesne came to power, the Glace-Vert was already a lost cause.

"The finale to the New York Times bestselling Tearling trilogy, in which Kelsea is imprisoned by the Red Queen and her guard must find a way to set her free"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,871,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible