Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking…

Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions

by Chris Barton

I would liken this to Hadfield's "Darkest Dark" in that I could see this inspiring a kid to pursue similar dreams. (My nephew is all about being an astronaut at the moment). It's illustrated but there is more reading than in a typical picture book, and it makes a good story that also happens to be factual. It focuses on the positive message of overcoming challenges. A good book for someone with interests in tinkering. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Mar 29, 2019 |
The book I chose is, “Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson’s Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions” by Chris Barton illustrated by Don Tate. The book is about the story of Lonnie Johnson, the inventor of the Super Soaker Water Gun. Lonnie was an inventor, however based off a school test he was told he could not be an engineer. Lonnie refused to give up on becoming an engineer. He began his engineering career when he built a childhood robot named Linex for a science fair. Then Lonnie eventually became an engineer for NASA. Shortly after Lonnie invited something life changing when trying to make a new cooking system for refrigerators and air conditioners. Lonnie accidentally invented the Super Soaker Water Gun. Lonnie was astonished at what he made. He attempted to sell it to toy companies, but he had no success. Lonnie however, did not give up. Lonnie quit his job at NASA and devoted himself to his invention the water gun. Lonnie did not give up and eventually he became known as the man who invented the Super Soaker water gun.

This book would be a good read to children because it teaches an amazing lesson. The lesson is don’t allow no one to tell you what you can not do. Another lesson taught in this book is also don’t give up on your dreams. ( )
  A.Bode | Feb 17, 2019 |
Whoosh! is the story of Lonnie Johnson, the inventor of the Super Soaker Water Gun. Lonnie was always an inventor, even as a child. While he was told that he would not make an engineer based on tests he took in school, he did not give up. He worked hard to make his dream come true. Beginning with childhood robots, Lonnie worked his way up to becoming an engineer for NASA.
Whoosh! is Lonnie Johnson’s life accessible to young children. When he accidentally invented the Super Soaker Water Gun, he tried to sell it to toy companies. He had no success, but he did not give up. He quit his job as NASA and had to move his family out of the family home. He did not give up and eventually sold the water gun and made a lot of money from it.

The illustrations are bright and cheerful. I think children will enjoy the story behind the toy that most people are familiar with. Lonnie Johnson is a great role model, he doesn’t give up and he doesn’t let his circumstances define him. He doesn’t fit our ‘mold’ of an inventor. Lonnie shows readers that there is always something new to create. This might encourage readers to get out there and build something of their own. What a great book to read to children before a Science Fair or unit on creativity and inventions. Even though this is a biography, it is geared to children, easy to read and understand. Lonnie Johnson’s story is the perfect book to include in an elementary school or classroom library.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
a beautiful story about a boy who loves science and think up of new ideas! A book for the early grades, fun to read and relatable for the students. ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
I really enjoyed reading the story about Lonnie Johnson. I think the author did a great job writing about his life and capturing how invested he was at such a young age. At the end the author states that he has his own shop today. I think that is an exciting factor to this story that will definitely get student more excited to learn more. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  arizzo | Nov 15, 2018 |

Chronicles the life and achievements of the NASA engineer and inventor, from his childhood to his accidental invention of the Super Soaker water gun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,091,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible