Head First Design Patterns by Elisabeth…

Head First Design Patterns

by Elisabeth Freeman, Bert Bates

Series: Head First

Recently added byprivate library, apthorpe, VintiqueBooks, oddogre, Gezemice, syskoplan, livus

English (10)  French (2)  All languages (12)
Informative. ( )
  VintiqueBooks | Mar 22, 2019 |
Very good reference. ( )
  JWoodruff | Jul 12, 2016 |
I bounced off Head First Java and decided the informal, jokey, playful HF approach didn't work for me; however, I gave it a second chance and purchased this book -- and wow, am I glad!

I have a work-based need to learn how to program in an object-oriented fashion (I've been pretty strictly a procedural Perl programmer for some years), and while I don't know that tackling design patterns is the typical first step for this, it's working well for me. I had two introductory programming courses in 2009-10 and the language of instruction was Java ... I've found it fairly easy to re-charge my Java background with this book, and move forward. Kudos! ( )
  tungsten_peerts | Oct 12, 2015 |
I was skeptical of the Head First series before I read this book due to its busy look and feel, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has made me feel comfortable with the most used design patterns in record time where other books failed. I highly recommend this book for helping you design better object-based systems. Be sure to implement the examples as you read for better understanding. ( )
  danrk | Jul 2, 2015 |
Fun to read book (for coding anyway). Not one you can sit down and curl up with, but the subject is approached in a more friendly and easy-to-digest format. Sometimes, I'd just like a more straightforward 'here it is' description, but the book helps you learn as long as you follow it's format. ( )
  Murdocke23 | Jan 31, 2010 |

Elisabeth Freemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bates, Bertmain authorall editionsconfirmed

You're not alone.

At any given moment, somewhere in the world someone struggles with the same software design problems you have. You know you don't want to reinvent the wheel (or worse, a flat tire), so you look to Design Patterns--the lessons learned by those who've faced the same problems. With Design Patterns, you get to take advantage of the best practices and experience of others, so that you can spend your time on...something else. Something more challenging. Something more complex. Something more fun.

You want to learn about the patterns that matter--why to use them, when to use them, how to use them (and when NOT to use them). But you don't just want to see how patterns look in a book, you want to know how they look "in the wild". In their native environment. In other words, in real world applications. You also want to learn how patterns are used in the Java API, and how to exploit Java's built-in pattern support in your own code.

You want to learn the real OO design principles and why everything your boss told you about inheritance might be wrong (and what to do instead). You want to learn how those principles will help the next time you're up a creek without a design pattern.

Most importantly, you want to learn the "secret language" of Design Patterns so that you can hold your own with your co-worker (and impress cocktail party guests) when he casually mentions his stunningly clever use of Command, Facade, Proxy, and Factory in between sips of a martini. You'll easily counter with your deep understanding of why Singleton isn't as simple as it sounds, how the Factory is so often misunderstood, or on the real relationship between Decorator, Facade and Adapter.

With Head First Design Patterns, you'll avoid the embarrassment of thinking Decorator is something from the "Trading Spaces" show. Best of all, in a way that won't put you to sleep! We think your time is too important (and too short) to spend it struggling with academic texts.

If you've read a Head First book, you know what to expect--a visually rich format designed for the way your brain works. Using the latest research in neurobiology, cognitive science, and learning theory, Head First Design Patterns will load patterns into your brain in a way that sticks. In a way that lets you put them to work immediately. In a way that makes you better at solving software design problems, and better at speaking the language of patterns with others on your team.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Provides design patterns to help with software development using the Java programming language.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,219,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible