Not Afraid of Dogs by Susanna Pitzer

Not Afraid of Dogs (edition 2006)

by Susanna Pitzer, Larry Day (Illustrator)

9423128,437 (4)1
Member:ira_morton
Title:Not Afraid of Dogs
Authors:Susanna Pitzer
Other authors:Larry Day (Illustrator)
Info:Walker Childrens (2006), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Crisis, Boy, dog

Not Afraid of Dogs by Susanna Pitzer

The big idea from this book is friendship and compassion overcoming fear. I really like the overall message that the book portrays, that sometimes showing compassion for others can help us overcome our own fears and misconceptions. I also think that the illustrations really elevate the story, and you can see the emotion drawn into the characters faces (especially Daniel when he hides in the bathtub after Bandit runs in at night) ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story. I like it because I think students could really relate to the main character. The little boy does not want to admit that he is afraid of dogs, and he is not ready to face his fear when he comes home to a dog! I think students can relate to this because every has fears that are scared to face! I also liked the illustrations. The pictures were big and very visible, great for a read aloud or shared reading. The overall message of this story is to not be scared to face your fears. Also, that sometimes a fear can just be a misconception about a topic. ( )
  eschoe1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Not Afraid of Dogs

I enjoyed the story, Not Afraid of Dogs, by Susanna Pitzer. The big idea in this story is facing your fears. This book is good because it has repetition of "I am not afraid of dogs, I just don't like them." It is fun to read aloud. Also,the writing and illustrations pull at the heartstrings when the dog is afraid and the boy helps the dog cope. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Sep 18, 2014 |
Daniel says he isn't afraid of anything until he is faced with a dog. He says that he just doesn't like dogs because he isn't sure how to deal with his fear. When he and the dog share an experience of being scared he is able to overcome his fear and lets the dog share his bed.

Ages: 4-5

Source: Pierce College
  StephanieVega | May 19, 2014 |
A little boy who is afraid of dogs will not admit it until one day his family pet sits a little dog. When the dog is afraid of the storm the two bond and he is no longer afraid of the animal.
4-5
ECE Classroom
  Katrinaalyn | May 19, 2014 |

Daniel is the bravest boy of all!

Daniel isn't afraid of spiders. He isn't afraid of snakes. He isn't even afraid of thunderstorms. And no matter what his sister says, he's certainly not afraid of dogs -- he just doesn't like them. But there's no avoiding them when he comes home and his mother is babysitting his aunt's dog.

Susanna Pitzer's humorous look into the nature of courage, fear, and friendship has a touching outcome for both the brave and the frail of heart, with expressive illustrations by Larry Day.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

Young Daniel must confront his fear of dogs when his mom dog sits his aunt's pet.

Susanna Pitzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible