Not Afraid of Dogs by Susanna Pitzer

Not Afraid of Dogs (edition 2006)

by Susanna Pitzer, Larry Day (Illustrator)

Title:Not Afraid of Dogs
Authors:Susanna Pitzer
Other authors:Larry Day (Illustrator)
Info:Walker Childrens (2006), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Crisis, Boy, dog

Not Afraid of Dogs by Susanna Pitzer

I really liked this book. The first reason I liked this book was because the author was able to relate with me as a read by reminding me of when I was scared of dogs. For example, “Daniel stayed away from dogs. He crossed the street when he saw one.” When I was younger I avoided dogs anyway I could. There were many times when I had to cross the street. Another example was “Honey you have to come out sometimes. Bandit won’t hurt you.” This example reminded me of when people would tell me that it will be okay and the dog won’t hurt me. Another reason I liked the book was because of the way the author created a relationship between Daniel and Bandit. For example, “Daniel climbed out of the bathtub and knelt down. “It’s all right, Bandit.” Daniel picked her up.” In this example Daniel went from being terrified of Bandit to comforting her so she wouldn't be scared. Another example; “Daniel carried Bandit into his room and put her on the bed. “You can sleep with me tonight.” This example shows Daniel overcoming his fear of dogs. The big message from the book was that it is okay to be afraid of something because other people and even animals are afraid of something too. ( )
  KinderelHodgson | Mar 22, 2015 |
The story is about a boy who say he isn't afraid of anything until he sees a dog. He is scared of the dog and gets help on trying to overcome his fears. In the end the boy and the dog end up liking each other.
  shantetwatson | Mar 13, 2015 |
This was another book that I thoroughly enjoyed. The main message of this story is to teach children that it's OK to have fears, we just have to face them at some point. One of the reasons why I liked this book is because of the descriptive language. It really made the story come to life. For example, "With one finger, Daniel touched Bandit's shaking back. Her fur was soft." With all this detail in a single sentence the reader is able to really imagine Daniel and be in his shoes. I also liked how the plot was well developed. This allowed the reader to really understand Daniel and and his struggle to facing his fears. It first started with Daniel saying he isn't afraid of dogs. Then one day his family has to dog sit and Daniel gets locked in the bathroom with the dog. Daniel faces his fear by petting her and realizing dogs aren't that bad. I also liked the story because this is a topic children of all ages can read about. No matter how old someone is we all have fears and that is completely acceptable. ( )
  bmalon6 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The big idea from this book is friendship and compassion overcoming fear. I really like the overall message that the book portrays, that sometimes showing compassion for others can help us overcome our own fears and misconceptions. I also think that the illustrations really elevate the story, and you can see the emotion drawn into the characters faces (especially Daniel when he hides in the bathtub after Bandit runs in at night) ( )
  jknuts1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story. I like it because I think students could really relate to the main character. The little boy does not want to admit that he is afraid of dogs, and he is not ready to face his fear when he comes home to a dog! I think students can relate to this because every has fears that are scared to face! I also liked the illustrations. The pictures were big and very visible, great for a read aloud or shared reading. The overall message of this story is to not be scared to face your fears. Also, that sometimes a fear can just be a misconception about a topic. ( )
  eschoe1 | Oct 22, 2014 |

Daniel is the bravest boy of all!

Daniel isn't afraid of spiders. He isn't afraid of snakes. He isn't even afraid of thunderstorms. And no matter what his sister says, he's certainly not afraid of dogs -- he just doesn't like them. But there's no avoiding them when he comes home and his mother is babysitting his aunt's dog.

Susanna Pitzer's humorous look into the nature of courage, fear, and friendship has a touching outcome for both the brave and the frail of heart, with expressive illustrations by Larry Day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

Young Daniel must confront his fear of dogs when his mom dog sits his aunt's pet.

Susanna Pitzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible