White Night by Jim Butcher

White Night

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (9)

English (100)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
This book mainly deals with the White Court vampires. I'm not too big of a fan of this particular group, but the story is still entertaining enough. It seems like more and more people are starting to become aware of the Black Council, so it will be interesting to see how that develops and who is revealed to be a member. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
As far as I am concerned this is one of the better Dresden books. I has a fairly straightforward story without too many bizarre twists, Harry is a real badass and he does not put his foot in a string of obvious traps. Well, he does put his foot in a few traps, it is Harry after all, but at least he is going about it in a somewhat more intelligent way than he often did in the past.

Although I wrote that the story was straightforward that does not mean that it is simple and uninspired. It is a well developed story and it does have a twist or two. However it is straightforward in that it starts at point A and methodically works itself towards the goal at point B and when it twists the twist are logical and well done. Okay, we are dealing with urban fantasy and magic here so “logical” should be considered in that context.

Harry is dealing out some serious pain in this instalment and I am not talking about his jokes. He is very far from the wimpy person he was in the first couple of novels in this series. He have some friends to help him with the pain distribution as well. The end result is a fairly spectacular showdown between the good guys (yes that is Harry & Co even though some of the Co might not entirely classify as all that good) and the bad ones.

Of course the book is not all magical mayhem. The somewhat perverse talking skull is back of course. So is Harry’s new apprentice who is going through some character development. Harry’s relationship with his daemon, Lasciel, is also developing although I would not say it was all for the good. Then we have Thomas of whom we get a few revelations. That was one I did not see coming.

If I should complain about something it was Harry’s somewhat asinine behavior towards some people. Yes they are not really the good guys but they were helping him so he could really have kept his mouth a bit more in check on a couple of occasions.

As I wrote, one of the better books in the series with a good mix of humor, investigative work, character development and violent action. I was not convinced after the first couple of book but now I am glad that I stuck to this series. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Thomas was already my favorite. Maybe Butcher will give him a spinoff series. In, you know, a decade or so.... I'd wait. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
UPDATED: Second time around and I liked this one a LOT more. The final fight is pretty exciting, but it does go on a bit long.

3.75 stars. Super entertaining Dresden entry, but I felt like Butcher's writing is a notch lower than it was for the previous two books. Also, the insanely long battle at the end of this book just wore me out. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Harry discovers that someone is preying on low level magic users and somehow gets dragged into a civil war among the vampires (because when does Harry not get dragged into "end of the world" situations??). There are some throwbacks to the past and more about the relationship between Harry and his brother, Thomas. Harry always amazes me with his resiliency and his strength. There's also a nice resolution to the fallen angel aspect. ( )
1 vote tjsjohanna | Jun 15, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
For the newest members of the family,
Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

Someone is targeting Chicago's magic practitioners - the members of the supernatural underclass who don't possess enough power to become full-fledged wizards. Some have vanished. Others appear to be victims of suicide. But now the culprit has left a calling card at one of the crime scenes - a message for Harry Dresden.

Harry sets out to find the killer, but his investigations turns up evidence pointing to the one suspect he cannot possibly believe guilty: His half-brother, Thomas. to clear his brother's name, Harry rushes into a supernatural power struggle that renders him outnumbered, outclassed, and dangerously susceptible to temptation.

And Harry knows that if he screws this one up, people will die - and one of them will be his brother ...
Professional wizard Harry Dresden is investigating a series of deaths in Chicago. Someone is killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146155X, Mass Market Paperback)

The inspiration for the Sci Fi channel television series

In Chicago, someone has been killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

The Dabel Brothers are bringing the Dresden Files to life in comic book form—look for issues beginning April 2008! View more here!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,739,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible