White Night by Jim Butcher

White Night (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher

Member:wookiebender
Title:White Night
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2008), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:source: Better Read

White Night by Jim Butcher

Recently added byechoindarkness, private library, Hlynsson, JAHunter13, MaraBlaise, avengingspleen

English (78)  Dutch (1)  All languages (79)
Continues story of Dresden's struggle to prevent an all out war between vampire clans and humans. Dresden is a fully-developed character by now that garners interest no matter what situation he is in. I sense this series is heading for a jaw-dropping turn soon. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Still loving my Dresden Files journey. Book 9 doesn't disappoint. Harry is still deeply flawed with a heart of gold, solving crimes and keeping the streets of Chicago safe from the supernatural.

It begins with Harry reluctantly continuing to be a warden, and also tutoring Molly so she doesn't turn to the dark side. Murphy has been busted down to Sergeant, and she brings Harry in covertly on a murder masquerading as suicide. Harry catches the clues, naturally, and it's off to catch another supernatural killer. Yes, the White Court is still up to their shenanigans, and Laura Raith is still running the show. It ends in a fantastic battle that will not disappoint.

Things I loved: Gentleman Johnny Marcone. I like him now that we see more of his layers. He's complex, conflicted, and the enemy Harry knows. Rameriz as Harry's warden partner (love him even more now that Laura outed his secret). Thomas as a White Court knight in shining armor (literally). Murphy because she kicks ass, always. Mouse. He's simply the best part of Harry's life. The conclusion with Lasciel was more satisfying than I would have imagined.

Things I didn't love: Not enough Bob. Elaine. She's bad news for Harry, and I don't want her around. No Michael Carpenter--every book should have Michael.

Butcher has set things up for an interesting showdown between the White Council and the Black Council, but I'm ready for the war with the various vampires to be over. Looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Library/audio

Harry Dresden, wizard and PI extraordinaire, discovers that witches in his city of Chicago are committing suicide at an alarming rate. Not just alarming, but suspicious. Digging into the matter Harry finds out the magical community is afraid him now that he’s a Grey Cloak or Warden of the White Council. If someone had only talked to him about the suspicious deaths then lives could have been saved. But digging into the matter doesn’t just involve finding who is responsible. Oh, no. That would be too simple and nothing in Harry’s life is ever simple. Harry needs to figure out the players and the end game fast before more people, himself included, die.

Guest reviewers:
A ~ my 16-yr-old daughter
T ~ my 15-yr-old son
K ~ my 13-yr-old son

This series continues to entertain, but I’m sure that’s no big surprise. The humor, as always, is a big hit and the mystery kept us guessing and involved. We learned more magic and with Harry training Molly we like how he’s becoming more focused and disciplined with his powerhouse talent. Learning about the magical community was interesting since not much has ever been mentioned about the lesser powers in Chicago. Elaine is back in town and we find out what she’s been up to and there are more machinations by the White Court.

Favorite characters are back: Thomas, Murphy, Marcone, Ramirez and, as always, Mouse. Everyone agrees the magical fight towards the end was awesome and Harry’s solutions are always so fun to read. Lasciel is also back and what she does is…unexpected. New baddies are introduced and an unexpected baddie turns up, one we thought was dead. Also, everyone agrees that Harry’s idea of setting up a network for the magical community is a good idea. He doesn’t like being seen as a boogeyman for the paranormal community simply because he has to be a Warden.

Favorite quotes:

“Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!”

“She gave me a hard look. ‘No one likes a wiseass, Harry.’
“Are you kidding? As long as the wiseass is talking to someone else, people love ‘em.”

“There was a sound like a human yawn, and then the skull turned slightly toward me and asked, ‘What’s up, boss?’
‘Evil’s afoot.’
‘Well, sure’, Bob said, ‘because it refuses to learn the metric system. Otherwise it would be up to a meter by now.’” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Aug 6, 2014 |
When his brother seems a possible suspect in a series of murders, Harry Dresden teams up with his apprentice Molly, Sergeant Murphy, gangster Johnnie Marcone, and Elaine Mallory to clear Thomas of all suspicions, only to be dragged into the political mayhem of the various vampire Courts. Another entertaining installment in the series with the same great characters. If you like the style of the series, this won't disappoint. The plot is tight and there are a few tense and a few hilarious moments that'll keep you turning the pages. Mouse is still my favorite character, no change there. ( )
  -Eva- | Apr 26, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit:

White Night is the ninth novel in Jim Butcher??s DRESDEN FILES series. If you havenƒ??t read up to this point in the series yet, please stop here and go away...

Well, now Iƒ??m sure that Iƒ??ve been left talking to myself because nobody whoƒ??s read this far is going to care what I have to say about White Night. The previous novel, Proven Guilty, was awesome, so youƒ??d have to be brain-dead to not want to pick up White Night immediately, which means you donƒ??t need to read this review. Thatƒ??s how I know youƒ??re not there. In fact, I can say anyhoting I want ot say here and not evein bother to correct my spellign or grammar because I know yhouƒ??re not there. Youƒ??re reading White Night and nothing I say matters. So, Iƒ??m going to just tlak to myself here and jot down a few notes so I can later distinguish this book from the other DRESDEN FILES ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/white-night/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

Someone is targeting Chicago's magic practitioners - the members of the supernatural underclass who don't possess enough power to become full-fledged wizards. Some have vanished. Others appear to be victims of suicide. But now the culprit has left a calling card at one of the crime scenes - a message for Harry Dresden.

Harry sets out to find the killer, but his investigations turns up evidence pointing to the one suspect he cannot possibly believe guilty: His half-brother, Thomas. to clear his brother's name, Harry rushes into a supernatural power struggle that renders him outnumbered, outclassed, and dangerously susceptible to temptation.

And Harry knows that if he screws this one up, people will die - and one of them will be his brother ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146155X, Mass Market Paperback)

The inspiration for the Sci Fi channel television series

In Chicago, someone has been killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

The Dabel Brothers are bringing the Dresden Files to life in comic book form—look for issues beginning April 2008! View more here!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:24 -0400)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible