White Night by Jim Butcher

White Night (edition 2008)

by Jim Butcher

Member:wookiebender
Title:White Night
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2008), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:source: Better Read

White Night by Jim Butcher

English (96)  Dutch (1)  All (97)
Another in the Dresden series. As usual, I liked the humor and interpersonal relationships as much as the action packed and supernatural adventure itself. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
It took three tries to get through this book, which is completely off base for me and my love of Harry Dresden, I mean! Jim Butcher's character and series about the wizard PI Harry Dresden.

My husband and I took a 12 hour car ride to and then another 12 hour car ride from Virginia and we spent the entire 24 hours listening to the cd of the book. Well, maybe not the full 24 hours, but you get what I'm saying.

As much as I love Harry, hearing James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel TV series, and Captain Jack's sometime lover from Torchwood - hawt!) read the book was just...well...yummy. He really made Harry come alive for me. And there were a few delicious scenes that made me wish this book could become a really good show instead of a half-assed Sci-Fi channel show that got canceled.

Oh, you want to know about the actual book and not my lust for James Marters/Harry Dresden? Um...well, okay.

So the story was okay. I liked that he finally got rid of Lash, the shadow of the fallen angel Lasciel (sp?). But I don't think it is my favorite book. We finally find out what is going on with Thomas (or should I say Tomas?). Murphy kicks some booty as always (Kincaid is her man-toy!) and it was fun to see some development of Molly.

Oh, and let's not forget about the elusive Elaine! YAY for bringing her into the stories, Jim!! I was kind of hoping that seeing her again would ignite some loving for Harry, get his mind off the would-be vampire/report girl from earlier. I mean, I liked her, but poor Harry, four years, y'all, four years. You know what I'm talking about.

As always there's lots of blowing things up, wise-cracks, and overall good times with some bad guys. Marcone gets a facelift and some character expansion too that was a neat little surprise.

And Ramirez - he's a virgin. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
This is my favourite of the Dresden Files series. It has everything - Harry getting beaten up (a lot), roles for Lara, Thomas and Lash, and Ramirez. Harry is having to cope with his own problems, plus try to keep his rather-too-eager apprentice under control.

This book has some of my favourite scenes out of the series - Ramirez and Lara (classic), and Harry and Thomas.

Can't think how many times I've read/listened to this - and there will be many more times. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
Another solid Dresden Files novel. Not my absolute favorite, but I loved seeing more of Ramirez and Thomas.A bunch of witches have gone missing or have mysteriously killed themselves and Dresden and Murphey decide to investigate and put an end to whatever is terrorizing part of the magic community. Of course, it ends up going way deeper and darker than they imagined and lots of old players are re-introduced. It's fun and violent, and full of laughs. I particularily dug the end of it. Now on to the next one! Slowly, but surely I'll knock this series out! ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 13, 2017 |
White Night
4 Stars

Harry’s search for a serial killer targeting female magical practitioners takes a dramatic turn when the murders are revealed to be part of a larger, more sinister plot to destroy all of wizard kind.

The world building and characterization are highly entertaining as usual, and there are updates on several characters from earlier books, including Helen Beckitt, John Marcone and Lara Raith, There are also developments for Harry’s new apprentice, Molly Carpenter, who is slowly coming to realize the responsibility that comes with power, Harry’s brother, Thomas, whose new profession is unusual yet strangely appropriate, and fellow warden, Carlos Ramirez whose wit makes him a particularly amusing addition to the cast.

Harry is still having trouble in his personal life with love interests, both old and new, playing a role and the storyline is quite complex with much intrigue and revelations surrounding the mysterious Black Council as well as unexpected betrayals and alliances amongst the White Court vampires.

All in all, White Night resolves some ongoing issues and introduces some new conflicts. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
For the newest members of the family,
Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

Someone is targeting Chicago's magic practitioners - the members of the supernatural underclass who don't possess enough power to become full-fledged wizards. Some have vanished. Others appear to be victims of suicide. But now the culprit has left a calling card at one of the crime scenes - a message for Harry Dresden.

Harry sets out to find the killer, but his investigations turns up evidence pointing to the one suspect he cannot possibly believe guilty: His half-brother, Thomas. to clear his brother's name, Harry rushes into a supernatural power struggle that renders him outnumbered, outclassed, and dangerously susceptible to temptation.

And Harry knows that if he screws this one up, people will die - and one of them will be his brother ...
Professional wizard Harry Dresden is investigating a series of deaths in Chicago. Someone is killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146155X, Mass Market Paperback)

The inspiration for the Sci Fi channel television series

In Chicago, someone has been killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

The Dabel Brothers are bringing the Dresden Files to life in comic book form—look for issues beginning April 2008! View more here!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,136,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible