White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9) by…

White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:Shrike58
Title:White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 407 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, urban fantasy, 2012

White Night by Jim Butcher

English (81)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
Dresden waxes philisophical. Although he might choose inopportune moments to muse eloquently, I like it. I will always like a book with Ramirez as well.
  2wonderY | Apr 6, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, why do I keep reading these things? I mean, it's not like they're really that good or anything. It was okay. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it, really. Or would I? ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
White Court politics, the murdering of female practitioners of magic. Molly looks like she might be more than just a twit. Collapsing the deeps, Marcone's assistance = signing on as free lord on the accords. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
Continues story of Dresden's struggle to prevent an all out war between vampire clans and humans. Dresden is a fully-developed character by now that garners interest no matter what situation he is in. I sense this series is heading for a jaw-dropping turn soon. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Still loving my Dresden Files journey. Book 9 doesn't disappoint. Harry is still deeply flawed with a heart of gold, solving crimes and keeping the streets of Chicago safe from the supernatural.

It begins with Harry reluctantly continuing to be a warden, and also tutoring Molly so she doesn't turn to the dark side. Murphy has been busted down to Sergeant, and she brings Harry in covertly on a murder masquerading as suicide. Harry catches the clues, naturally, and it's off to catch another supernatural killer. Yes, the White Court is still up to their shenanigans, and Laura Raith is still running the show. It ends in a fantastic battle that will not disappoint.

Things I loved: Gentleman Johnny Marcone. I like him now that we see more of his layers. He's complex, conflicted, and the enemy Harry knows. Rameriz as Harry's warden partner (love him even more now that Laura outed his secret). Thomas as a White Court knight in shining armor (literally). Murphy because she kicks ass, always. Mouse. He's simply the best part of Harry's life. The conclusion with Lasciel was more satisfying than I would have imagined.

Things I didn't love: Not enough Bob. Elaine. She's bad news for Harry, and I don't want her around. No Michael Carpenter--every book should have Michael.

Butcher has set things up for an interesting showdown between the White Council and the Black Council, but I'm ready for the war with the various vampires to be over. Looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
1 vote GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

Someone is targeting Chicago's magic practitioners - the members of the supernatural underclass who don't possess enough power to become full-fledged wizards. Some have vanished. Others appear to be victims of suicide. But now the culprit has left a calling card at one of the crime scenes - a message for Harry Dresden.

Harry sets out to find the killer, but his investigations turns up evidence pointing to the one suspect he cannot possibly believe guilty: His half-brother, Thomas. to clear his brother's name, Harry rushes into a supernatural power struggle that renders him outnumbered, outclassed, and dangerously susceptible to temptation.

And Harry knows that if he screws this one up, people will die - and one of them will be his brother ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146155X, Mass Market Paperback)

The inspiration for the Sci Fi channel television series

In Chicago, someone has been killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

The Dabel Brothers are bringing the Dresden Files to life in comic book form—look for issues beginning April 2008! View more here!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:24 -0400)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible