White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9) by…

White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:Shrike58
Title:White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 407 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, urban fantasy, 2012

White Night by Jim Butcher

English (84)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
THIS BOOK IS OVERDUE AT THE LIBRARY IT WAS DUE YESTERDAY BUT MAYBE IF I GET THERE BEFORE THEY OPEN AND THEY FIND IT IN THE "RETURN" BIN THEY'LL BE ALL "OH, SHE TOTALLY RETURNED THIS LAST NIGHT AND THAT COUNTS WE WON'T CHARGE HER ANYTHING" WHICH STILL MAKES ME A BAD PERSON BECAUSE SOMEBODY HAD IT ON HOLD THAT'S WHY I COULDN'T RENEW IT AND HAD TO SPEND ALL DAY YESTERDAY READING SO I COULD BRING IT BACK TODAY

(pant pant pant)

So. Um. Okay. This is a good book. Good wizard-is-a-private-detective-in-modern-day-Chicago book. You should read it.

First, though, go read eight other books. Not eight random books. I mean, you can. If you want. I'm not the boss of you, the way my local library is the boss of me. I'm just saying, you should read this book but first you should read the eight "Dresden Files" books that come before it. Jim Butcher does a decent job of summing stuff up, but the world-building is amazingly intricate and the plot is way complicated and there are all kinds of awesome characters you'll want to follow from day one.

Seriously. You do NOT want to just jump into the middle of this party. That'd be like showing up at a New Year's Eve bash at 11:45 and then drinking really fast to try to catch up to where everybody else is, which will kill you or at least make you barf since they've all been here swigging away since five o'clock.

Okay, the analogy isn't perfect. But I don't have time to MAKE it perfect, because did I mention THIS BOOK IS DUE AT THE LIBRARY AND THE LIBRARY OPENS IN (checks watch) LESS THAN TWO HOURS AND I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE?

So read this book but first read the previous books in this series and be happy that Harry Dresden has finally stopped giving that pages-long speech he used to give once per volume like clockwork about how people don't believe in the supernatural anymore, which is TOTALLY BOGUS because have you looked around lately? People TOTALLY believe in all sorts of weird supernatural stuff.

Plus Harry's stopped being quite so much of an idiot when it comes to being all protective about women, possibly because he got his stuff stolen once too often by a female perp he let his guard down with in a way he never would have with a guy.

(checks watch again)

GOTTA GO BYE HAVE FUN READING BEST DRESDEN BOOK SO FAR BYE! ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
The series is still going strong. Jim Butcher brings in many new elements and Harry Dresden and his companions get better and better. It's a fun series that keeps me excited for the next one. ( )
  renbedell | Jun 17, 2015 |
Since the first The Dresden Files book I have been waiting for a book that would finally, finally captivate me enough to give it the highest rating (because my ratings of the series gradually and certainly went from 2 to 4 stars), and BINGO - White Night is IT! Unputdownable and so engrossing that I could not stop reading it, this story has made me ridiculously excited to read the next book in the series.

The book has some of the best metaphors EVER

This was the room we'd been in when a necromancer and a gaggle of zombies had put a bullet through the head of Butters's capacity to ignore the world of the supernatural.

It is surprisingly quotable

...when writing a book review

I read the words, but there was an odd sense of blankness inside. I read them, understood them, but they somehow didn't seem relevant.

...when you just HATE that BIACH

The reflection of light from her teeth could have left scars on my retinas.

...when you need to explain your need for swearing to your mom or your boss

Hell, the whole practice of invective was developed to add extra emphasis when the mere meaning of the words alone just wasn't enough. And I was [AM] feeling plenty emphatic.

It has very important life lessons

Just because you start out as one thing, doesn't mean you can't grow into something else.

You don't leave an injured friend all alone.

It has genuinely funny, laugh-out-loud moments

Welcome, sir [...] May I take your coat and... and stick?

All in all, this instalment is darker, angrier and urges you to pray to God [or to Jim Butcher] to finally get Harry Dresden laid. *fingers crossed* ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Dresden waxes philisophical. Although he might choose inopportune moments to muse eloquently, I like it. I will always like a book with Ramirez as well.
  2wonderY | Apr 6, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, why do I keep reading these things? I mean, it's not like they're really that good or anything. It was okay. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it, really. Or would I? ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

Someone is targeting Chicago's magic practitioners - the members of the supernatural underclass who don't possess enough power to become full-fledged wizards. Some have vanished. Others appear to be victims of suicide. But now the culprit has left a calling card at one of the crime scenes - a message for Harry Dresden.

Harry sets out to find the killer, but his investigations turns up evidence pointing to the one suspect he cannot possibly believe guilty: His half-brother, Thomas. to clear his brother's name, Harry rushes into a supernatural power struggle that renders him outnumbered, outclassed, and dangerously susceptible to temptation.

And Harry knows that if he screws this one up, people will die - and one of them will be his brother ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146155X, Mass Market Paperback)

The inspiration for the Sci Fi channel television series

In Chicago, someone has been killing practitioners of magic, those incapable of becoming full-fledged wizards. Shockingly, all the evidence points to Harry Dresden's half-brother, Thomas, as the murderer. Determined to clear his sibling's name, Harry uncovers a conspiracy within the White Council of Wizards that threatens not only him, but his nearest and dearest, too...

The Dabel Brothers are bringing the Dresden Files to life in comic book form—look for issues beginning April 2008! View more here!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,040,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible