Chains and Memory (Wilders Book 2) by Marie…

Chains and Memory (Wilders Book 2) (edition 2016)

by Marie Brennan (Author)

Series: Wilders (2)

Member:wilderwoman
Title:Chains and Memory (Wilders Book 2)
Authors:Marie Brennan (Author)
Info:Book View Cafe (2016), 241 pages
Tags:Urban fantasy, faerie, Seelie, Unseelie, magic

Chains and Memory by Marie Brennan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fantastic! And as usual with all fantastic books I read, I long for more to it. I found myself truly emotionally invested in the characters. Tears were certainly shed. It didn't end quite as I expected, but it was a good ending, despite being a bit heartbreaking.

*I received a copy of this book for free. The review is my own, honest and unsolicited. ( )
  UrbanAudreyE | Jul 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Other reviews give the story line better than I can. This is the 2nd book of a series, but I haven't read the first one. However, I didn't need to read the first to understand what was happening. Enough references were supplied to make this a stand-alone story. Very well written and easy to read and follow the storyline. Certainly a young-adult story, also. I would give this 4 1/2 stars if that option was available. ( )
  tatumjt | Jun 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Early Reviewers copy, and this is an honest review.

I don't want to be too spoilery here, but I will warn right off that this does end in a cliffhanger. I normally don't like cliffhangers, but this one is the sort of cliffhanger where it's a new beginning and it's not really certain what will happen, but the characters are out of danger (at least the immediate danger) so I felt they were okay and wasn't worried about them (too much). I liked the progression of the story a lot. The question of putting a deep shield on Kim, the first person to become a wilder as an adult, is being debated in the legal system. This parallels how things like this happen in real life so closely it's painful--the question of how deeply something effects people on a personal level becomes lost in the cold impersonal bureaucracy of the legal system. I really like the relationships between the wilders--they have "the family you choose" sort of more than "the family you're born into," a very stark contrast between what happens to Kim and her family and the "family" she has grown at Toby's. (Another reason I like this series is that wilders can be substituted for many groups that are marginalized or feared, such as the mutants in The X-Men, etc.). Another area I like is the doubt around the Seelie and the Unseelie and who means the least harm--what do they get from contact with humans. What do they get from releasing the geas? I found the whole aspect of touch very interesting as well, and how much Kim and Julian's relationship changed once that was straightened out; his craving yet pulling away from touch. Kim trying to fit into a world that she didn't belong to until she was an adult. There are so many facets to this book that make it a really fascinating read. Highly recommended. ( )
  waclements7 | May 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed Chains and Memory. I haven't read the first book though I didn't feel this to be too detrimental, the two 'Alien' sides took a while to get my head around, but has peaked my interest to read it.
Interesting, complex premise.
  TinaC1 | Apr 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading the prequel, "Welcome to Welton", and the first book in the series, "Lies & Prophecy", I was very anxious to move on with the story and see where the main characters, Kim and Julian, would go. I admit I was a little surprised by the slower pace at the beginning of this book, but I think it did display a more realistic view of how a newly enhanced, and therefore previously unimagined, magical being would be dealt with legally, even within a society that already accepted magic. The changes wrought on Kim were done to her, not chosen by her, but the ramifications are widespread and potentially, darkly disturbing. The parallels to our own current political and legal treatment of immigrants and other groups could hardly be missed. However, in the books we find out there is much more at stake than the status of one individual and Brennan brings the action back to a very tantalizing cliff-hanger. I eagerly await the next book in this series. ( )
  wilderwoman | Mar 28, 2016 |

Manifestation was only the beginning.

The Otherworld has returned -- bringing with it the sidhe, the source of humanity's psychic powers. Some mortals welcome these creatures of legend, some fear them . . . and no one is ready for the change their presence will bring.

Last autumn Kim and Julian stood at the center of that storm. Now they face a challenge closer to home: a battle over the laws governing wilders, the closest genetic relatives of the sidhe. Many feel that change should wait until the current upheaval has ended . . . but Kim sees opportunity in the chaos, a chance to free Julian and all his kind from the chains of the deep shield that locks their gifts away.

The roots of that shield run deeper than she knows. The quest to destroy it will lead her and Julian back into the world of the sidhe, where they will uncover ancient lies, face betrayal on all sides -- and gamble everything on the possibility of freedom.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marie Brennan's book Chains and Memory was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Marie Brennan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,093,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible