Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your…

Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully…

by Linda Dobson

I was excited to read this book which is for homeschooling ages 3-8 because of course I've started basic homeschooling with my 21 month old and wanted to be ready for more instruction when my child gets older.

However I must say this book didn't live up to my expectations. The best part of the book was the ideas on teaching Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic and the books and websites listed in the resources at the back of each chapter. The information itself is pretty good but the writing style is a little nonsensical. I don't feel the author stayed on the topic she was talking about in each section.

The book is based on the results of a questionnaire of 66 homeschooling parents. Each section is talked about based on the results and quotes are given from the different parents about the subjects. I enjoyed the quotes directly from homeschooling families as I think this is the best advice you can get. (ie. directly from the source.) Although some of the statistics were interesting, a lot of it wasn't very much help.

I wouldn't recommend this book as a first one to turn to about homeschooling but if you have read quite a few already and want some ideas on teaching the early years, then pick up this book. All the more if it's from the library. I did copy down quite a few books from the resources that I'd like to read and although some of the websites were no longer available (as is expected since the web changes so frequently) there were some good ones listed that I know have bookmarked. ( )
  callista83 | Sep 19, 2008 |
The book is packed with lots of great ideas for energizing lessons. I'll be referring to this for awhile. ( )
  smbmom | Sep 29, 2007 |
I liked the familiar approach where the challenges of homeschooling young children are discussed in the context of describing how different families did it. ( )
  smbmom | Sep 29, 2007 |
#83, 2006

I think I’ve now officially read all the “new to homeschooling” material that I need to read. In fact, I think this book was one book too many. It was a good book, focusing less on logistics and detailed advice, and more on dealing with emotions and common issues that come up when deciding to homeschool and throughout the first year. From that stand point, it was reasonably inspirational – lots about trusting yourself and your child, remembering that it takes a while to get into the swing of things. That sort of thing, which is definitely worthwhile information, although I think I’m mostly past needing that sort of pep talk (although who knows how I’ll feel a month from now). :D

I did get a couple of good tips here, but most of the information was, for me, a repeat of things I’ve read in other books. Still, for someone just getting started, I wouldn’t dissuade you from reading this book. In my case, though, I’d already read enough similar material to make this one a bit redundant. ( )
  herebedragons | Jan 15, 2007 |

Fun and Effective Home Learning Activities for Every Subject
As a homeschooling parent, you're always looking for new and creative ways to teach your child the basics. Look no longer! Inside this innovative helper, you'll find kid-tested and parent-approved techniques for learning math, science, writing, history, manners, and more that you can easily adapt to your family's homeschooling needs. And even if you don't homeschool, you'll find this book a great teaching tool outside the classroom. You'll discover fun and educational activities for kids ages 3 to 12, including how to:
·Create maps based on favorite stories, such as Treasure Island or The Wizard of Oz
·Make letters out of French fries as an alphabet learning aid
·Explore architecture by building igloos, castles, and bridges with sugar cubes and icing
·Review spelling words by writing them on the sidewalk with chalk
·And many more!
This comprehensive collection of tried-and-true—and generally inexpensive—ideas provides the best-of-the-best homeschooling activities that can be done anywhere, anytime, and by anyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:05 -0400)

Handbook written in plain language.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible