Chasing the North Star: A Novel by Robert…

Chasing the North Star: A Novel

by Robert Morgan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book about the the escape of 2 slaves a boy and a girl and there journey traveling north. Many things go wrong along the way. ( )
  rachelep | Mar 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting book following an escaped slave from South Carolina to freedom. Jonah and Angel's story was one filled with lucky encounters and scary moments. This book was from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers. ( )
  sochri | Aug 4, 2016 |
The main story in this book, a young man's escape from slavery, is pretty straight forward. It's a good story with plenty of tension and well defined characters. In it, eighteen year old Jonah journeys north towards freedom and dignity and gains something more along the way. It's the kind of story that's been told before and will likely be told again. What stands out is the phrasing and cadence of the writing - it's almost song-like or poetic. Ar first I thought this was written to include younger readers with its simple wording (it's not) but I soon realized it's like the proverbial still waters - it runs deep.

I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In 'Chasing The North Star' you follow Jonah from when he makes a run from his plantation in South Carolina to make a run for the north, for Canada. With what I imagined before I opened the book, to what actually happened was quite different. More that I assumed that Jonah would try to be a lot more sneaky on his journey north, but with going through the book, I realized it may be quite obvious one is a runaway that way. (Though it probably does have it's usefulness.) Along his way north, around North Carolina, Jonah meets Angel. She realizes what he's doing and decides to follow him. I wasn't really fond of Angel at first, we meet her after about four or so chapters with Jonah, and I realized since Jonah wasn't fond of Angel following behind him, neither was I. It seems I took my cues on my opinion of Angel from Jonah himself, which fascinates me, since that's usually not the case when I read books. Overall I can say I liked 'Chasing The North Star'. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. ( )
  princess_mischa | Jun 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've enjoyed Robert Morgan's writing in the past (Gap Creek novels) so I was looking forward to this one. I was disappointed to find a work much less polished and more emotionally disconnected than I was expecting. The story of two young slaves' treacherous journey toward freedom was interesting, but the characters themselves seemed to struggle to connect to their own plight. Many developments seemed to be more of a catalog of common slave circumstances than personal experiences. ( )
  melopher | Jun 23, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Chasing the North Star by Robert Morgan is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible