dismiss

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a…

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Cal Newport (Author)

"One of the most valuable skills in our economy is becoming increasingly rare. If you master this skill, you'll achieve extraordinary results. Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It's a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there's a better way. In DEEP WORK, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits. He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four "rules," for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill. A mix of cultural criticism and actionable advice, DEEP WORK takes the reader on a journey through memorable stories-from Carl Jung building a stone tower in the woods to focus his mind, to a social media pioneer buying a round-trip business class ticket to Tokyo to write a book free from distraction in the air-and no-nonsense advice, such as the claim that most serious professionals should quit social media and that you should practice being bored. DEEP WORK is an indispensable guide to anyone seeking focused success in a distracted world"--… (more)
Member:jamesshelley
Title:Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
Authors:Cal Newport (Author)
Info:Hachette Audio (2016)
Collections:Read but unowned

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport (2016)

read (2)

This book is well written, and provides several practical suggestions for focusing on what matters most in our daily work and routines. ( )
  amanlawyer | Mar 28, 2020 |
3.5/5

Deep Work feels like a verbalization of some of my feelings about knowledge and skill acquisition process (and the best ways to do them). So, that's good. The point that distractions keep us off from working with full concentration and intensity is well taken.

However, using Bill Gates as example, or even his own character (which strongly appears to be a type A personality) is not very useful or interesting.

Overall, I recommend for the core ideas that it contains. ( )
  raivivek | Mar 22, 2020 |
The book details how we are surrounded by distractions in this digital world, and to create something meaningful we need to be stingy with our time and attention.

Some of the strategies are really demanding and not feasible for everyone; like shutting out everything and moving to a secluded cabin.
But carving out some time on a regular basis, to do the most important tasks without any distractions, is something we ought to do. This is the only way we can get the maximum out of the precious little time we have besides our job and family commitments.

I got some crucial pointers from this book that I need to implement in my life. ( )
  Govindap11 | Mar 21, 2020 |
A good idea and worth the time to read as a kick the pants. It should have been a two thousand word article, but those don't sell. ( )
  jcvogan1 | Jan 12, 2020 |
I finished this book and immediately reopened it to begin taking notes. Newport's idea of "deep work"—intensive work or study done at the limits of ones cognitive abilities—hit home with me both as a deeply meaningful way to live and as something I struggle to spend enough time doing. As with most books on work habits, much of the content here is applied common sense, but there a lot of good tactical ideas on carving out space for depth in a distracted culture. After reading this, I've got a list of next actions and ideas that I'm excited to try out.

My only beef with the book lies in Newport's attitudes towards social media as a whole: he's curmudgeonly and at times strays into shades of old-man-yelling-at-cloud. He largely ignores the real positive efforts coming from people using networked tools and apps to share the results of their deep work. That said, his stance in the end comes out to "make sure you're getting enough value of the tools you choose to offset their costs", which I can be onboard with.

thegreatape | Jan 7, 2020 |
In the Swiss canton of St. Gallen, near the northern banks of Lake Zurich, is a village named Bollingen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,652,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible