Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2) by Lois…

Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Member:fullyarmedvishnu
Title:Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Harper Voyager (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

The Sharing Knife: Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold

Recently added bykpevjen, qux, Susan.Marton.Heins, skullduggery, mbernardi, jason9292, mathsie, private library

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

It sincerely hurts me to give Lois McMaster Bujold a negative review but I didn't get very far into The Sharing Knife: Legacy before giving up. It tried it on audio, with the same reader who read Beguilement.

The first scene was a sex scene: Dag (who's 55 years old) and Fawn (who's 19) on their wedding night. I rolled my eyes through most of it, and when Fawn started chatting about her family's propensity to produce twins and other unsuitable topics for a wedding night scene (this is during the act, mind you), I had had enough of Fawn.

Part of the problem is the audiobook reader's voice — so naive and hickish sounding (though Fawn is actually quite bright) that it grates on my nerves. I thought to myself, "I can't listen to hours of this," so I deleted it off my MP3 player and opened the book instead. It was better in print than on audio, but after reading the cover blurbs and flipping through a bit, I realized that again, the focus would be on the romance and Dag's family's rejection or acceptance of Fawn. I just didn't want to go through that again.

Bujold is one of my favorite fantasy authors, but I read her for her lovely writing and amazingly creative magic, not her romance. If you want to read a romance novel, I recommend this series. If not, I don't. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Basically set in an "alternate universe" approximating frontier America, with the requisite spunky pioneer heroine, the pseudo-Native-American, and the usual complement of Bad Guys. Would be suitable for teens except for the graphic sex scenes, especially in the opening chapters (deemed necessary for later plot development, but overly specific in my opinion).
Reasonably interesting characters and lively action.
Bujold is a writer of great skill; this is just not my favorite series. Read Book 1 c. 2008, didn't care for it then, but might like it better now.
(There are 4 books in the series, to date.) ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 22, 2013 |
The second in the Sharing Knife series. Bujold is always great, and I really enjoy this world. I love the fact that it’s based on the Midwest (go, overlooked regions of the US!) and find the magical system fascinating. [May 2011]

maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I'm enjoying this series, but I wish Fawn didn't sound so much like Mal from Firefly. It's starting to bug me. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
The plot was slow and generally not super exciting, but as in the first volume, I really enjoyed this book's earthy, domestic atmosphere. This book celebrates the sights, scents, sounds, and everyday routines of traditional American life in a way that perfectly complements the magic system and the love story. There's something impressive about a series peppered with steamy sex scenes giving equal attention to other physical experiences - injuries and aches, fabric coarse and fine, cool water and hot summer days. The story may be lightweight but I really admire Bujold for writing genre fiction that's so mimetic, that describes the world as real people experience it and isn't just a shallow, saccharine entertainment.

I'm not in a hurry to finish the series - there's not a whole lot of urgency, honestly - but I'm really glad I read these first two books and I wish more people would write American-inspired fantasy fiction.

Oh, and on a sillier note, the matching book covers of the first two volumes? SO cute. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dag had been married for a whole two hours, and was still light-headed with wonder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006113905X, Hardcover)

Fawn Bluefield, the clever young farmer girl, and Dag Redwing Hickory, the seasoned Lakewalker soldier-sorcerer, have been married all of two hours when they depart her family's farm for Dag's home at Hickory Lake Camp. Having gained a hesitant acceptance from Fawn's family for their unlikely marriage, the couple hopes to find a similar reception among Dag's Lakewalker kin. But their arrival is met with prejudice and suspicion, setting many in the camp against them, including Dag's own mother and brother. A faction of Hickory Lake Camp, denying the literal bond between Dag and Fawn, woven in blood in the Lakewalker magical way, even goes so far as to threaten permanent exile for Dag.

Before their fate as a couple is decided, however, Dag is called away by an unexpected—and viciously magical—malice attack on a neighboring hinterland threatening Lakewalkers and farmers both. What his patrol discovers there will not only change Dag and his new bride, but will call into question the uneasy relationship between their peoples—and may even offer a glimmer of hope for a less divided future.

Filled with heroic deeds, wondrous magic, and rich, all-too-human characters, The Sharing Knife: Legacy is at once a gripping adventure and a poignant romance from one of the most imaginative and thoughtful writers in fantasy today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:45 -0400)

Bujold continues her Hugo Award-winning romantic fantasy series that began with "The Sharing Knife: Beguilement," a Book Sense Pick for November 2006.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible