Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2) by Lois…

Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Member:fullyarmedvishnu
Title:Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Book 2)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Harper Voyager (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

The Sharing Knife: Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold

After the first book turned into a tawdry romance novel, I almost refrained from picking up the second in the series. But I did, because I really liked Ms. Bujold's 'Miles' series and she writes exceptionally well. The begining of Legacy made me suspect the story remained stuck in the dull and self-absorbed sex lives of the two major characters. I persevered and glad I did. I ended up skimming much of the first half of the book, but it got better with more development of the interesting world that provides the setting and more focus on the clash of cultures between the "Lake Walkers" and the "Farmers." ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Main review at the end, on Horizon. This is the one where they live in Dag's camp. ( )
  atreic | Jul 10, 2016 |
I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed reading this book. I still don’t like Fawn, who is oh-so-sweet and naïve, or Dag, whose “I’m just an old warhorse” schtick is pretty tired. In fact, I find their entire romance contrived and unrealistic, and their “artfully” yet explicitly described sex scenes are far from erotic. And yet, Bujold is a good enough author that even though I didn’t like any of the characters, I still couldn’t help but want to read more of their adventures. Despite a battle and some council meetings, nothing much happens in this book, but it's a fast read. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Unfortunately, I read some of the negative reviews of book 1 of this series before proceeding to book 2, and it may have colored my experience. One of them talked about Fawn, the female lead, being a total Mary Sue. This is a term often thrown around on a writers' forum I used to frequent, and I kind of wondered what all the fuss was about. Now I know.

By the end of this book I was thoroughly sick of Fawn. She's always trying to please people, only minimally disobedient, and vaguely smug. I also felt a little uncomfortable with the May (April?)-December romance, but that was done well and believable and Dag himself never came across as creepy, only maybe a little emotionally stunted from his first wife's death, and still charismatic enough for Fawn's affection for him to seem genuine.

That said, there were a lot of cool things going on in this story, and on the whole I enjoyed it, but not enough to move on to Book 3 just yet. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

It sincerely hurts me to give Lois McMaster Bujold a negative review but I didn't get very far into The Sharing Knife: Legacy before giving up. It tried it on audio, with the same reader who read Beguilement.

The first scene was a sex scene: Dag (who's 55 years old) and Fawn (who's 19) on their wedding night. I rolled my eyes through most of it, and when Fawn started chatting about her family's propensity to produce twins and other unsuitable topics for a wedding night scene (this is during the act, mind you), I had had enough of Fawn.

Part of the problem is the audiobook reader's voice — so naive and hickish sounding (though Fawn is actually quite bright) that it grates on my nerves. I thought to myself, "I can't listen to hours of this," so I deleted it off my MP3 player and opened the book instead. It was better in print than on audio, but after reading the cover blurbs and flipping through a bit, I realized that again, the focus would be on the romance and Dag's family's rejection or acceptance of Fawn. I just didn't want to go through that again.

Bujold is one of my favorite fantasy authors, but I read her for her lovely writing and amazingly creative magic, not her romance. If you want to read a romance novel, I recommend this series. If not, I don't. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dag had been married for a whole two hours, and was still light-headed with wonder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006113905X, Hardcover)

Fawn Bluefield, the clever young farmer girl, and Dag Redwing Hickory, the seasoned Lakewalker soldier-sorcerer, have been married all of two hours when they depart her family's farm for Dag's home at Hickory Lake Camp. Having gained a hesitant acceptance from Fawn's family for their unlikely marriage, the couple hopes to find a similar reception among Dag's Lakewalker kin. But their arrival is met with prejudice and suspicion, setting many in the camp against them, including Dag's own mother and brother. A faction of Hickory Lake Camp, denying the literal bond between Dag and Fawn, woven in blood in the Lakewalker magical way, even goes so far as to threaten permanent exile for Dag.

Before their fate as a couple is decided, however, Dag is called away by an unexpected—and viciously magical—malice attack on a neighboring hinterland threatening Lakewalkers and farmers both. What his patrol discovers there will not only change Dag and his new bride, but will call into question the uneasy relationship between their peoples—and may even offer a glimmer of hope for a less divided future.

Filled with heroic deeds, wondrous magic, and rich, all-too-human characters, The Sharing Knife: Legacy is at once a gripping adventure and a poignant romance from one of the most imaginative and thoughtful writers in fantasy today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

Bujold continues her Hugo Award-winning romantic fantasy series that began with "The Sharing Knife: Beguilement," a Book Sense Pick for November 2006.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible