The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon

by David Elkind

"David Elkind [is] one of psychology's leading lights."--Washington Post With the first edition of The Hurried Child, David Elkind emerged as the voice of parenting reason, calling our attention to the crippling effects of hurrying our children through life. He showed that by blurring the boundaries of what is age appropriate, by expecting--or imposing--too much too soon, we force our kids to grow up too fast, to mimic adult sophistication while they secretly yearn for time to act their age. In the more than two decades since this book first appeared, our society has inadvertently stepped up the assault on childhood through the media, in schools, and at home. In this twenty-fifth anniversary edition of this classic, Dr. Elkind adds important new commentary to put a quarter century of trends and change into perspective for parents today, including a detailed, up-to-the-minute look at the Internet, classroom culture, school violence, and movies and television. Showing parents and teachers where hurrying occurs and why, Elkind offers insight, advice, and hope for encouraging healthy development while protecting the joy and freedom of childhood. "A landmark book."--Chicago Sun-Times… (more)

"Examines the pressures--from peers, parents, school, and society--imposed on today's children and offers advice on how to cope with the problems brought on by the excessive emphasis on competition and achievement."--WorldCat.
  Yandell_Kindergarten | Feb 21, 2016 |
In this book-the first to take a hard look at children and stress- psychologist David Elkind explores the unique burdens we have brought upon our children and offers insights, advice, and hope for solving those problems.
  LLLSouthCentralMiami | Apr 26, 2010 |
Summary: By blurring the boundaries of what is age-appropriate, by expecting—or imposing—too much too soon, we force our kids to grow up far too fast.
Review: I was thinking about signing up our infant for swimming lessons last year, but now I'm glad that I didn't. I knew that I didn't want to be like Rick Moranis' character in Parenthood, but where do you cross the line? When is it appropriate to encourage the child and when should you back off? A lot of parents around me are signing their kids up for toddler playgroups, Gymboree, swimming, foreign language immersion, etc., etc. 'Socialization' is a word that keeps being mentioned... as in, it's better for the kids than just being with a parent or just being at home. After reading this book, I have better information about why I should take it easy and let our child have time to play.
  jwitsoe | Aug 9, 2007 |
To the beloved memory of my sister Ruth
The concept of childhood, so vital to the traditional American way of life, is threatened with extinction in the society we have created.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,740,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible