Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets…

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know (2006)

by Meg Meeker

I really enjoyed this book and felt empowered as a father to not have a mentality of, "Well, my daughter is a girl so my wife should handle most of the parenting," which is a big issue I see when talking to other fathers with daughters. The statistics help support the importance of a father in the life of his daughter.

The author uses a lot of real life stories to share practical advice. I did feel as though a couple of the stories seemed fabricated from the dialogue she uses for them, so I needed to get passed that and apply the message of the stories.

My biggest take away is that a father CANNOT be passive. This really goes as being a parent in general, but she brings this point home by the end of the book.

I'm glad I read it and would suggest all fathers with daughters to read it. ( )
  CodyF.Fonseca | Jun 12, 2015 |
Although there are a few parts to this book that I do not agree with or do not like how she words it (especially in relation to spirituality), I think it is a book that all fathers of daughters should read for at least a starting point. Some very shocking statistics. Overall, pretty good book. ( )
  tokoti | Apr 23, 2010 |
Absolutely Fantastic Book! A must read for any one looking to understand the importance of a father-daughter relationship. ( )
  cradle4 | Mar 16, 2010 |
Very helpful in lighting a fire under fathers re: their importance to their daughters. ( )
  kieronbm | Jan 18, 2009 |
some obvious points, a lot of common sense but provides positive reinforcement and good to see a lot of it on paper ( )
  mihaley | Oct 7, 2008 |

Directly challenging the feminist attack on traditional masculinity, Dr. Meeker demonstrates that the most important factor for girls growing up into confident, well-adjusted women is a strong father with conservative values. To have one, she shows, is the best protection against eating disorders, failure in school, STD’s, unwed pregnancy, and drug or alcohol abuse-and the best predictor of academic achievement, successful marriage, and a satisfying emotional life.

The author discusses the importance of fathers in the lives of their daughters, and draws from her experiences as a pediatrician and counselor to girls to explain how fathers can strengthen or rebuild the bonds between them and their daughters.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible