Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin…

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (edition 2007)

by Doreen Rappaport, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:lisa1.
Title:Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:biography/picture book

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport

I really liked Martin’s Big Words: The life of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. First, I liked how the author combines Martin Luther King Jr own words with her own to help tell the story. The reader can easily identify MLK’s who is telling the story because the words of Martin Luther King Jr are shown in large bold and colored type so the stand out from the rest of the print. I also liked this book because it provides a good start for class discussions on history, equality and segregation. This book and its illustrations will help readers absorb the message of Martin Luther King Jr. ( )
  Sluper1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
This book is an excellent introduction to the biography of Martin Luther King Jr. I really liked this book because it was a pictorial biography that provided great descriptions and inspirational quotes on each page such as "You are as good as anyone" or "Everyone can be great". The story had an excellent progression from Martin's childhood to the day he died, but did not cut short on any of the amazing things that he accomplished. The illustrations were beautiful and the style of the pictures only enhanced the story's message even more. This book was well organized and even provided a list of important dates in Martin Luther King's life at the end of the story. The big idea of this story is too explain the main details of his life and to show children how much of an inspiration he was to many people in the world. ( )
  agassa1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I loved this book by Doreen Rappaport. First, I loved the illustrations. They were very big and detailed. This made it appealing to the eye and the expressions of each character were clear. For example, you can see on Martin's face that he is upset when talking about reading the white only signs. I also loved the sequence of events in the story, I thought it flowed very nicely. The book didn't jump right into Martin's speech but rather talked about him growing up and seeing the "white only" signs to him becoming a pastor, to the Rosa Parks story, and finally about his journey in politics. Lastly, I enjoyed the quotes throughout the story. At the end of each page was an inspirational quote from Martin. For example one of the quotes was "everyone can be great." The overall idea of the story was to inform children about Martin's experience and to stand up for what you believe in even if it will challenge others. ( )
  bmalon6 | Feb 8, 2015 |
I liked "Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.", the central message of which was that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s words were highly influential, and were successful in making him one of the world’s greatest civil rights leaders. The story also conveyed the significance of making a difference with one’s words as opposed to through the use of violent actions. I liked the story’s colorful and larger-than-life illustrations, which I felt greatly enhanced the story and were appropriate to its mood. I also liked the story’s clear language. Like Dr. King, the writing in the story was eloquent and well-stated. Additionally, I liked that the book pushed its readers to think about tough issues – specifically, segregation and civil rights. I feel that this was done in a respectable way by making readers think, but not forcing on them any particular opinion. Finally, I liked the central message of the story, which was to make a difference with one’s own “big words”. I feel that is a beautiful message to send to young children, and teaches them that there lies power behind the words that they use. The book compiled some of Dr. King’s most notable quotes and life events to make his life story accessible to young readers. I feel that this book would be a great one to have in my future classroom library, and could be used to teach my students about the civil rights movement and one of the most influential men behind it. ( )
  kkadal1 | Feb 8, 2015 |
This story is a biography about the life of Martin Luther King. The story really focus on non-violence. I loved this book because it showed important times in Martin Luther King's life. I think this story would be great from children of all ages. This story can make children be more aware of our history. I feel sometimes we forget and this story is just another step to broaden our new generations mind. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Nov 24, 2014 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bryan CollierIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786807148, Hardcover)

In this elegant pictorial biography of Martin Luther King Jr., author Doreen Rappaport combines her spare, lyrical text with King's own words for an effective, age-appropriate portrayal of one of the world's greatest civil rights leaders. From King's youth, when he looked up to his preacher father and vowed one day to "get big words, too," to his death at a garbage workers' strike ("On his second day there, he was shot. He died."), Rappaport imbues the story with reverence.

Acclaimed artist Bryan Collier depicts his subject with stunning watercolor and collage illustrations, balancing glorious recreations of stained glass windows with some of the more somber images of peace marchers and the famous bus that pitched Rosa Parks into the civil rights movement. A brief chronology and bibliography provide additional resources for readers. Here is an exquisite tribute to a world hero. (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:47 -0400)

A short biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,819,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible