Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin…

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Doreen Rappaport, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:lisa1.
Title:Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:biography/picture book

Martin’s Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport (2007)

I bought this book today because I have always loved Martin Luther King, Jr....

It was an easy read with beautiful pictures...A well written summary of what he went through from childhood through his death and when MLK day was created and became a national holiday. It's great for children of about the age of about 8 and older (depending on the child)...It does say that he was shot and died, but nothing more specific than that. And of course, it doesn't show him dead...

obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
Summary:
This book is about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King. Its starts the story from when he was just a child and tells about all the wonderful things he did to put an end to segregation.
Personal Reaction:
This was a beautiful book. It made me feel like I was apart of the protests and like I was watching Martin's hard work pay off.
Classroom extension Ideas:
If I read this book to my classroom I would ask my students to write in their journals. I would ask my student to write a thank you letter to Dr. King.
Or I could also have my students share their thoughts on what life would be like today if Martin had not did what he did.
  ToriMackey | Apr 20, 2017 |
I got this book from my professor. I just love that so much. Nice illustrated and powerful words. When I was in China, I have learned something about Martin Luther King. We learned his dream and we know it is a dream which need to become true in this world. This is a biography book. Its own definition: bio=life, graphy=writing. This specialized variety of nonfiction writing focuses on the lives of human beings- usually, people who are famous. Therefore, the book tells us something when Martin was growing and he grew up. It is a biography.
He is a kind man all his life. When he was young, he saw the signs WHITE ONLY everywhere and he felt bad, but he believes what his mother told him'' You are as good as anyone'', when he grew up, he believes "Everyone can be great". And he spend all his life to help people to love the world and have a dream. Unfortunately, he was shot in April 1968. I can not help crying when I read this page, my heart feel pain because we all know how kind a man he is.
To teacher, it is a good story that they can use their voice to involve kids into the history and the leader of civil rights.
To children, it is a good book that can let them realize everyone is equal in this world and we should help and love everyone who live in the world just like us. ( )
  JCHEN16 | Apr 10, 2017 |
Summary- This book was about Martin Luther King Jr's life starting as a child. It talks about how Martin helped others fight for their rights in a peaceful way. It talked about important big words that Martin used to help change things for African Americans.
Genre- This book is a biography since it talks about the story of Martin Luther King Jr's life.
Age- Grades 3rd-6th
Media- Water color and cut paper collage
  crystal.krahmer | Apr 8, 2017 |
Summary: The book is a quick overview of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's life. The book talks about Martins big words and they are not "big" words that some people might think. The big words are very meaningful.

Critique of Genre: Biography because the book tells true facts about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Age: Intermediate or older

Media: Paint and a colleague of painted pictures ( )
  elissamcgeever | Mar 24, 2017 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bryan CollierIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786807148, Hardcover)

In this elegant pictorial biography of Martin Luther King Jr., author Doreen Rappaport combines her spare, lyrical text with King's own words for an effective, age-appropriate portrayal of one of the world's greatest civil rights leaders. From King's youth, when he looked up to his preacher father and vowed one day to "get big words, too," to his death at a garbage workers' strike ("On his second day there, he was shot. He died."), Rappaport imbues the story with reverence.

Acclaimed artist Bryan Collier depicts his subject with stunning watercolor and collage illustrations, balancing glorious recreations of stained glass windows with some of the more somber images of peace marchers and the famous bus that pitched Rosa Parks into the civil rights movement. A brief chronology and bibliography provide additional resources for readers. Here is an exquisite tribute to a world hero. (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

A short biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,519,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible