Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin…

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (edition 2007)

by Doreen Rappaport, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:lisa1.
Title:Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:biography/picture book

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport

Summary:This book tells a short summary of Martin Luther King Jr's life. It starts out telling the reader that when he was a little boy all he ever saw was White Only signs around town and that made him sad. The book then goes on to say that even when he was little he decided he would preach like his father. It tells the reader that he did grow up and began preaching and started a movement for blacks to have equal rights. It tells how he went from place to place in this movement and finally won. It then tells how he went wherever people needed him and then ended up being shot and killed.

Personal Reaction: I enjoyed this book because I think it is a great children's book that was short and to the point hitting the main things needed to teach the students that part in history and about Martin Luther King Jr's life.

Classroom Extensions: A classroom extension I would consider doing would be to just sit in a circle around a rug and have a classroom discussion about what was read and see what questions the kids might have about him or that time in history. Another extension I would consider doing would be to watch the video of Martin Luther Kings I Have A Dream Speech so allow the students to really see his impact on video instead of just reading about it.
  CherokeeDavies | Jul 19, 2016 |
This book is about MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR's life, and how it was hard being black back then. He gave a big speech and he said "I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY IN ALABAMA LITTLE BLACK BOYS AND BLACK GIRLS WILL JOIN HANDS WITH LITTLE WHITE BOYS AND WHITE GIRLS AS SISTER AND BROTHERS". This meant a lot to black people. But one day he got shot on April 1968. People were so very sad. I would recommend this book to any one. I love this book because it's happy that someone stood up, but sad that people shot him. ( )
  AlexisF7 | May 23, 2016 |
This is an excellent book when discussing the Civil Rights movement, Martin Luther King Jr. day or Black History Month which are all wonderful opportunities to bring up who King was and the impact he made during the Civil Rights movement. This would be good for grades 2-5 when students can study King and really understand the story of his life and the different things he went through to become a leader and impact millions of people in an effort for change. ( )
  aeuin01 | Apr 27, 2016 |
I like this book and would use it in my classroom with second grade and up. I would use it because I think that it does a good job of explaining to kids about Martin Luther King Jr. And what he stood for. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Apr 14, 2016 |
This informational text about Martin Luther King Jr shows the impact he had on the civil rights movement. This book tells the story of his life in an easy way that is easy for kids to read and interesting. One part of this book that stands out is the authors use of bold and color to put emphasis on the quotes King had said. The picture in this book are also something that stands out, the picture alone could tell the story of King's life without the words in the book. I would recommend this book to 1st grade and up. ( )
  Courtney_Lee | Apr 5, 2016 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bryan CollierIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786807148, Hardcover)

In this elegant pictorial biography of Martin Luther King Jr., author Doreen Rappaport combines her spare, lyrical text with King's own words for an effective, age-appropriate portrayal of one of the world's greatest civil rights leaders. From King's youth, when he looked up to his preacher father and vowed one day to "get big words, too," to his death at a garbage workers' strike ("On his second day there, he was shot. He died."), Rappaport imbues the story with reverence.

Acclaimed artist Bryan Collier depicts his subject with stunning watercolor and collage illustrations, balancing glorious recreations of stained glass windows with some of the more somber images of peace marchers and the famous bus that pitched Rosa Parks into the civil rights movement. A brief chronology and bibliography provide additional resources for readers. Here is an exquisite tribute to a world hero. (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

A short biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,509,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible