Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin…

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (edition 2007)

by Doreen Rappaport, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:lisa1.
Title:Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Authors:Doreen Rappaport
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:biography/picture book

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport

This story is a biography about the life of Martin Luther King. The story really focus on non-violence. I loved this book because it showed important times in Martin Luther King's life. I think this story would be great from children of all ages. This story can make children be more aware of our history. I feel sometimes we forget and this story is just another step to broaden our new generations mind. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Nov 24, 2014 |
I liked the book, Martin’s Big Words, by Doreen Rappaport. The big idea in this story is a biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, primarily focused on the “big words” that he spoke. I liked the way the author chose specific words that were important to the times of segregation. She wrote about the time that Martin walked with the people that were protesting the arrest of Rosa Parks. He said, “When the history books are written, someone will say there lived black people who had the courage to stand up for their rights.” The author also quoted Martin Luther King’s speech that is still famous today, “I have a dream that one day in Alabama little black boys and black girls will join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I also liked the illustrations and text features in this book. The illustrator, Bryan Collier, used lots of painted images of Dr. King preaching in church and walking besides his community members. There are many pages that show pictures of stained glass. This was done because the illustrator said, “When I close my eyes, and think about Dr. King’s life, the main image that comes to me over and over again is that of stained glass windows in a church.” The text features in the book are bold words, colorful text, and a special quote in large print on every page. The words that the author wants her readers to remember are written in a way that makes them stand out from the rest of the text. ( )
  JenniferEckley | Nov 16, 2014 |
SUMMARY

This biography was about Martin Luther King Jr life and work. It shows how as a child he didn't understand why African Americans weren't allowed to do a lot of things that whites could. It also talked about civil rights.

PERSONAL REACTION:

I think that this story is a good story to share with children for black history month. This story can teach a lot about previous history.

CLASSROOM EXTENSION:

This can be used to have the children write about a big dream they have.
This can also be read during black history month.
  christianf | Nov 13, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a biography of the important life and work of Martin Luther King Jr. This biography focuses on his words and non-violent actions toward achieving change and freedom from segregation for African Americans. The author uses Martin's big words to captivate the reader and weave them into a story of his life.

Personal Summary:
I was very moved after reading this story. I was impressed by the author's ability to use Martin's words in a way that made me realize how much they are still alive today. I like how she wrote Martin's words in quotes on each page. Word's such as, "together not separate, love not hate, peace not war". I think the important dates in the back of the book are very helpful for students who may want to do more research on Martin Luther Kind Jr.'s life after reading this book. The illustrations in the book are beautiful. I love how there is symbolism in the illustrations as well. There are four candles on one page of the book that represent the four girls who died in the 16th St Baptist Church bombing. There is so much I could write about this book because I loved it so much.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Print off several of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speeches and have each student choose one. Using the speech they chose, have students make blackout poems. When students are done volunteers may share their poems with the class.
2. Before reading the book with students discuss the two meanings of the word big-size and importance. Tell students in this book big is referring to importance. Tell student that while you read this book to them you want them to listen for words they think might be big, important words to Martin Luther King Jr. After reading the book discuss with students the words they heard.
  SydneySays | Nov 11, 2014 |
Summary:
This story tells the story of Martin Luther King's life. As a child he didn't understand why the white people got to so things the African Americans could not. He grew up to be a preacher and wanted to make a difference. It explains the impact he had during the Civil Rights Movement. He was murdered in 1968.

Reaction:
I think this book is a very important book to read to children. It is apart of our history. He was a very brave man who changed the world.

Classroom Extension:
1. Read it during Black History Month.
2.Have the students draw their "dream" on a sheet of paper.
  AmberDimmitt | Nov 8, 2014 |

Doreen Rappaportprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bryan CollierIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786807148, Hardcover)

In this elegant pictorial biography of Martin Luther King Jr., author Doreen Rappaport combines her spare, lyrical text with King's own words for an effective, age-appropriate portrayal of one of the world's greatest civil rights leaders. From King's youth, when he looked up to his preacher father and vowed one day to "get big words, too," to his death at a garbage workers' strike ("On his second day there, he was shot. He died."), Rappaport imbues the story with reverence.

Acclaimed artist Bryan Collier depicts his subject with stunning watercolor and collage illustrations, balancing glorious recreations of stained glass windows with some of the more somber images of peace marchers and the famous bus that pitched Rosa Parks into the civil rights movement. A brief chronology and bibliography provide additional resources for readers. Here is an exquisite tribute to a world hero. (Ages 4 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:47 -0400)

A short biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,385,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible