Alice Mongoose and Alistair Rat in Hawaii:…

Alice Mongoose and Alistair Rat in Hawaii: The Classic Children's Picture…

by Mary Pfaff

441,664,912 (4.5)None

children's, illustrated, Hawaii, mongoose

It's a lovely book with a simple story and delightful illustrations. Alice leaves her home and family in India and travels to the Hawaiian Islands to start on an adventure. It is short and intriguing, just right for shared reading with child and parent or grandparent. We loved it! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 8, 2017 |
I received this book free for my honest review. Alice Mongoose and Alistair Rat in Hawaii by Mary Pfaff is a cute story about a young lady mongoose that has decided to be on her own. The book takes you through her journey into her adult life, future job and home with an unlikely new friend. This story is written in the style of some classic tales by Beatrix Potter, Arnold Lobel, and Jan Brett. The artwork is very well done as it is as essential to the story as the words themselves. (Spoiler alert) I do have a complaint in that it is a story for children and it references the mongoose’s new job is to “kill” the rats. It could have been written to say, run them off or make a lot of noise when she sees the rats. It is because of this that I can not recommend this book for young children. ( )
  starcatchers | Jan 2, 2016 |
A delightful picture book, set in India, authored by Mary Pfaff. www.alicemongoose.com, alicemongoose on Facebook.com, provide an introduction to this series. Including Alistair Rat, a friend found on the island of Hawaii. Written in a peaceful and proper tone.
The book starts in India, with her mongoose family, Alice has a privileged upbringing. While out marketing, she reads of an invitation for mongooses to come to Hawaii. Wanting to travel, she decides to pack her steamer trunk, hat boxes, and with her parents' permission, she embarks on a ocean voyage to Hawaii.
Given the opportunity to kill rats, as her new job, on a sugar cane field, she is dismayed at the prospect of killing. Her prospective employer says, "You've never met a rat. when you meet one, you'll know what to do."
Alice debarks the ship, and goes off to look for a proper place to live, on the Big Island of Hawaii. She is fortunate enough to meet a landlord, a rat named, Alistair, who shares his time and breakfast with her.
Alice decides to accept a friendship with a rat, rent the adjoining house next to Alistair, and turn an occupation of
killing a rat, into a new found friendship, a sharing of hard boiled eggs, dreams of being home, missing her parents, and the ensuing adventure in Hawaii.
I would encourage this book to be shared, imaginative, practical, and a nice time to be had, reading.
Thank you. ( )
  barbara.kilpatri2558 | Nov 30, 2015 |
"Alice Mongoose and Alistair Rat in Hawaii" by Mary Pfaff is a wonderful children's book set in Hawaii. Loved it and it's beautiful illustrations of Alice and her friend, Alistair. The author, Mary Pfaff, has been called the "Beatrix Potter of Hawaii". Loving all things Hawaiian, I just had to read this book. I highly recommend this to readers of all ages. It is an excellent children's book that anyone that is young at heart will enjoy.

I would like to thank the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this work. I received this e-book through the Membership Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. Five stars! ( )
  jcozart | Nov 19, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mary Pfaff's book Alice Mongoose and Alistair Rat in Hawaii was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible