Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha…

Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot) (original 1937; edition 1986)

by Agatha Christie

Member:psychedelicmicrobus
Title:Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley (1986), Edition: Open market ed, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages

Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie (1937)

How Does Your Garden Grow and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: How Does Your Garden Grow? is a short story written by Agatha Christie. Its plotline is nearly identical with that of Dumb Witness. Anyone who has enjoyed Dumb Witness may want to check this short story out.

English (35)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  English (39)
I loved it, especially chapter 18! Very well constructed, difficult to figure who committed the crime. Highly recommend it. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I love that no matter how many books by Christie I read, I can still never guess the murderer. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
A great story as always. Hercule Poirot does a wonderful job of finding out who the murderer is and unveiling him (or her) amid the group of possible suspects. I find in her earlier books, that there are often a lot more clues to who the murder is than in her later books. The time period of the story is also interesting. As it was written in 1937, a lot of the references to places and customs are very realistic since Christie would have been living during that time as well. A fun book to curl up with on a rainy afternoon. ( )
  Hanneri | Jul 27, 2016 |
Dumb Witness – Agatha Christie
Also published as Poirot Loses a Client and as Silent Witness,
Audio version performed by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Poirot receives a letter from a distressed, elderly lady. She has reason to be afraid for her life. Unfortunately, she had forgotten to mail the letter. When Poirot seeks to investigate, he finds that the lady has been dead for some time. Although it appears to have been a natural death, Poirot is not convinced. Every member of the victim’s family is a potential suspect.
I thought I had this one figured out. I was sure I knew the name of the murderer, but I must not have sufficient little gray cells. Agatha Christie stumped me again.
There were a great many unlikable, unpleasant characters in this book. I didn’t find myself caring about any of them. The best part of the story was the dog, Bob. Bob has a major role and even some dialog as Christie wrote a verbal interpretation of his barks. Captain Hastings was able to be truly useful as a ball throwing playmate for the dog. ( )
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
A fairly standard Poirot mystery, with the slight twist that he's investigating on behalf of someone who has already died. Pleasant light crime fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

TO DEAR PETER

Most faithful of friends
and dearest of companions,
a dog in a thousand
Miss Arundell died on May 1st.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098540, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Emily was old, rich, and afraid--and now, she's dead. Her terrified plea to Hercule Poirot came a little too late. All that's left is a house full of greedy heirs, and a very strange letter that could solve the mystery--or add to it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

As Hercule Poirot sifts through his post one particular morning, he alights upon a letter from an elderly and (as it transpires) exceedingly rich spinster--Miss Emily Arundell. She is clearly in great distress and seeking his help, but doesn't say why. Her only specific mention is "the incident of the dog's ball." However, what intrigues Poirot is the date of the communication--it was written two months ago. He persuades Captain Hastings that they must visit the lady with all haste. On arrival, they discover that she has died, apparently of natural causes. But Bob, Miss Arundell's devoted wire-haired terrier, knows better. And so, soon, does Poirot.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible