Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha…

Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot) (original 1937; edition 1986)

by Agatha Christie

Member:psychedelicmicrobus
Title:Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley (1986), Edition: Open market ed, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages

Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie (1937)

How Does Your Garden Grow and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: How Does Your Garden Grow? is a short story written by Agatha Christie. Its plotline is nearly identical with that of Dumb Witness. Anyone who has enjoyed Dumb Witness may want to check this short story out.

English (34)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (38)
A great story as always. Hercule Poirot does a wonderful job of finding out who the murderer is and unveiling him (or her) amid the group of possible suspects. I find in her earlier books, that there are often a lot more clues to who the murder is than in her later books. The time period of the story is also interesting. As it was written in 1937, a lot of the references to places and customs are very realistic since Christie would have been living during that time as well. A fun book to curl up with on a rainy afternoon. ( )
  Hanneri | Jul 27, 2016 |
Dumb Witness – Agatha Christie
Also published as Poirot Loses a Client and as Silent Witness,
Audio version performed by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Poirot receives a letter from a distressed, elderly lady. She has reason to be afraid for her life. Unfortunately, she had forgotten to mail the letter. When Poirot seeks to investigate, he finds that the lady has been dead for some time. Although it appears to have been a natural death, Poirot is not convinced. Every member of the victim’s family is a potential suspect.
I thought I had this one figured out. I was sure I knew the name of the murderer, but I must not have sufficient little gray cells. Agatha Christie stumped me again.
There were a great many unlikable, unpleasant characters in this book. I didn’t find myself caring about any of them. The best part of the story was the dog, Bob. Bob has a major role and even some dialog as Christie wrote a verbal interpretation of his barks. Captain Hastings was able to be truly useful as a ball throwing playmate for the dog. ( )
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
A fairly standard Poirot mystery, with the slight twist that he's investigating on behalf of someone who has already died. Pleasant light crime fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Also known as "Poirot Loses a Client".

You know, I just realised that many of Christie's are remarkably the same from book to book, as are the settings & circumstances..... as well as her prejudices. This time it was Greeks, Turks, & Argentines, which was mentioned more than once.... So I knocked off a star.

Aside from my little rant, I enjoyed the story. Aunt Emily is in her 70's and is not so well of health but is still as sharp as a tack and nobody's fool. She is the survivor of 3 sisters and a brother, all who lived well under their means, as does Aunt Emily.

Aunt Emily's two nieces, their husband & fiancee, and nephew come to visit, all looking for a handout. Emily knowing that they should all still have money from their previous inheritance denies them all.

Aunt Emily's dog, Bob, is a very intelligent terrier and is very good at playing ball. He likes to take his ball to the top of the stairs and push it down to whomever is at the bottom... when they toss it back up to Bab, he catches it and tosses it back down.

One evening close to Easter, Bob leaves his ball at the top of the stairs and Aunt Emily takes a tumble head first..... It is at this point she changes her will and writes to M. Poirot intimating she is in danger and requests his help...... It is several months later after Aunt Emily's family has once again visited (asking for money) and she falls ill and dies that M. Poirot receives her letter.

Suspects include: Nephew Charles (a bounder & a cad), Niece Natalie (a fast & loose woman who loves the finer things in life), Niece Bella (a dull woman & good mother married to the "Greek"), the Greek (a doctor of a charming & jovial nature), and Minnie (the most current of a long line of "spinster" companions).

Captain Hastings is along to help M. Poirot, but honestly, he is a right old ass and as obtuse as ever.

I liked the story, I especially like Bob, and I "got" the clue as to who done it. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

TO DEAR PETER

Most faithful of friends
and dearest of companions,
a dog in a thousand
Miss Arundell died on May 1st.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098540, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Emily was old, rich, and afraid--and now, she's dead. Her terrified plea to Hercule Poirot came a little too late. All that's left is a house full of greedy heirs, and a very strange letter that could solve the mystery--or add to it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

As Hercule Poirot sifts through his post one particular morning, he alights upon a letter from an elderly and (as it transpires) exceedingly rich spinster--Miss Emily Arundell. She is clearly in great distress and seeking his help, but doesn't say why. Her only specific mention is "the incident of the dog's ball." However, what intrigues Poirot is the date of the communication--it was written two months ago. He persuades Captain Hastings that they must visit the lady with all haste. On arrival, they discover that she has died, apparently of natural causes. But Bob, Miss Arundell's devoted wire-haired terrier, knows better. And so, soon, does Poirot.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,560,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible