Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2…

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2 The Hammer of Thor (Magnus… (edition 2016)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

"Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon--the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki--and the price he wants is very high. Magnus Chase, a homeless boy living in Boston, finds out he is the son of a Norse god."--… (more)
Member:EileenConnon
Title:Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2 The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (2))
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2016), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, 480 pages

The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan (Author)

SHOUTING TILL THE END OF DAYS ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
Liked this one better than the first in the series! ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
Even better than the first book. We get great character development and representation of minorities. Magnus is still 'Love, Love, Peace, Peace' with a side of 'If you mess with my friends I'll kick your ass.' I can't wait to start the final book (OMG PERCY IS IN IT!!1!) ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
”I thought about Uncle Randolph. How did you decide when someone was irretrievably lost—when they were so evil or toxic or just plain set in their ways that you had to face the fact they were never going to change? How long could you keep trying to save them, and when did you give up and grieve for them as though they were dead?”

Once again, I am always surprised by the depths of emotional territory that Riordan can go into, and how he can balance them with the humor we know and love. His books have been a mainstay since my childhood, growing up with Percy, and I first loved them for their humor and adventure. Now, old as Percy and Annabeth in New Rome, I still love both of those things, but the deeper lessons and meanings of Rick’s books are what stick with me. Luckily, “The Hammer of Thor” was ripe with these.

In Hearthstone’s relationship with his father, as well as Sam and Alex’s with theirs, Riordan asks what it means to be a child of an overbearing or horrible parent: when do you step out of their shadow and become yourself? What happens when you feel you can’t escape their influence, but you can learn that from their hardships can come strengths? I was refreshed, in this regard, by Alex embracing her powers: shapeshifting and owning it is her way of showing that just with Loki’s legacy, she can still be her own boss. From Randolph, we learn what extremes grief can wrack on even the most unassuming of people, and how destructive it can be when it becomes all-consuming. Alex isn’t only a well-written character, but showing a different type of gender fluid person than often shows up in fiction, and Magnus is well on his way to showing us pan representation by (pretty obviously) crushing on Alex, whichever gender they are at the moment.

For kids, these themes aren’t going to be invisible, either, and I’m thankful: I’m grateful to have grown up with the lessons from Rick’s other books, and I’ll be happy to have kids grow up with the lessons (and humor) from Magnus Chase.",true,,1,,,0,,,,,
618164,The Collected Poems,Theodore Roethke,Roethke ( )
  priorfictions | Jun 24, 2020 |
p 42

This is not a dnf. As much as I wasn't able to get into it, I do 100% plan to return to this series and continue with it.

However it's due back to the library and I'm going away and I just didn't have the time or motivation to finish it on time, so that will be,,, some other time.
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. J. R. Tolkien,
who opened up the world of Norse mythology for me
LESSON LEARNED: If you take a Valkyrie out for coffee, you'll get stuck with the check and a dead body.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,607,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible