A Red Death (Easy Rawlins #2) by Walter…

A Red Death (Easy Rawlins #2) (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Walter Mosley

Member:libgirl69
Title:A Red Death (Easy Rawlins #2)
Authors:Walter Mosley
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 284 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Easy Rawlins

A Red Death by Walter Mosley (1991)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
another book I read for my contemporary lit class, and I am glad I read it. I am finding that this genre, the hard boiled PI novels, have depth! the main character, Easy, is SK tragic hero. He knows that no matter what happens in this case, there will be other battles. I liked this a lot ( )
  michaelbartley | Jan 23, 2013 |
Great dialog, strange but wonderful characters. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Dec 4, 2012 |
Not as good as first novel, 'Devil in the Blue Dress'. The book flow is kind of laboring. I noticed that both novels suffer from the same shortcoming - Easy (main character) just suddenly figures out everything in the end but there is no really logical explanation how he got to that conclusion. We will see how it is handled in other Walter Mosley novels. ( )
  everfresh1 | Sep 4, 2012 |
After reading Devil in a Blue Dress for my California Fiction class, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a wonderful new author and series I needed to keep tabs on. Naturally, I continued with the second book in the Easy Rawlins series, A Red Death. Like its predecessor, A Red Death was a page turner that I could not put down. A few things still bothered me about the book though. One was a passage in the book where Easy is being interrogated by the black police officer Naylor: "He had an educated way of talking. I could have talked like him if I'd wanted to, but I never did like it when a man stopped using the language of his upbringing. If you were to talk like a white man you might forget who you were." I feel that it is hypocritical of Easy to say the aforementioned lines because he uses code-switching in the first book depending on who he is communicating with - the blacks in his neighborhood or the whites. I know what Mosley meant to convey by adding those lines in the book, but it makes his character appear inconsistent.

The other thing that bothered me is the way all of the information kind of piled up in the end. I am not sure how to explain it except it's a similar scenario to Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, but for some reason, it didn't feel like it flowed as well. Maybe I was reading too quickly so I didn't catch all the little details and made the little connections, but in a way, the ending didn't really surprise me like Devil in a Blue Dress did. I was kind of expecting what would happen, but the information just wasn't explained well. Otherwise, this is another great book filled with crime, violence, and deaths. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. ( )
  Hantsuki | Dec 4, 2011 |
CD VERSION
  sherikawashington | Jan 30, 2010 |
"If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all.."

old blues refrain
Dedicated to the memory of Alberta Jackson and Lillian Keller with special thanks to Daniel and Elizabeth Russell

In order to avoid a prison sentence for a trumped-up tax evasion charge, Easy Rawlins agrees to infiltrate the First African Baptist Church and spy on alleged communist organizer Chaim Wenzler. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:35 -0400)

Nailed by a racist IRS agent for tax evasion, Easy Rawlins is asked by the FBI to infiltrate the First African Baptist Church to spy on alleged communist union organizer Chaim Wenzler, but the case soon takes a deadly turn, in a mystery set in 1953 Los Angeles.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,882,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible