Dirty by Kylie Scott

Dirty

by Kylie Scott

Series: Dive Bar (1)

4/5 stars

This was a cute story. I liked that Lydia stood up for herself and she was funny. If you're looking for a fun, sweet, short book that's a tiny bit predictable, than this is your book. I was looking for something light and I really enjoyed it. some parts were really funny and I like the extra characters. Vaughan was great and I enjoyed their blossoming relationship. I do wish the ending of the book was a bit slower, it felt a little rushed. But all in all, it was quite enjoyable. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
A-Mazing! Freaking love this book so hard. I cannot wait for the rest of the series. ( )
  KGarner | Aug 4, 2018 |
This book. This book. I just can't put into words. It starts out with such an opener, I was reeled in from the start.

Many times I get annoyed with those instant attractions. They seem so cliche'. However, that wasn't the case with this one. Considering the situation the instant attraction fit. From that point on, the story continued to flow and entertain.

I don't know how Kylie contunies to come up with books that are both unique and constantly entertaining. I never want to put her books down.

Lydia and Vaughn are two characters who are portrayed so well, you can't help but to love them. Their chemistry is written so poetically. It almost felt like watching a movie rather than reading a book. That is always a huge plus.

If you are a Kylie fan or have never picked up one of her books. this is definitely one you should pick up. Or at least have on hand for one of those days you just want to sit and devour a book in one afternoon. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
Last year I devoured the Stage Dive series by Kylie Scott. This year will be the year of the Dive Bar series, which is loosely connected to the Stage Dive series through a minor character and its main setting. No matter if you haven’t read them though, as Dirty stands up on its own easily.

Like Kylie Scott’s earlier books, the story is told in the first person by the heroine. For Dirty, that’s Lydia. She’s about to get married when someone sends her a video of her fiancé and best man getting it on. So Lydia bolts straight over the back fence and breaks into her unknown neighbour’s house. That neighbour is Vaughan, guitarist in a recently-split band who has returned home to contemplate his fate. Naked, he finds Lydia in her wedding dress, in the bathtub. It’s an awkwardly hilarious scene made easier by the fact that both are into each other. Vaughan offers to help Lydia out to get back on her feet and out of town while he tries to sell the family home and then do the same thing. But sparks fly and the pair decide a little extra enjoyment wouldn’t go astray as the lives of Vaughan’s sister and her employees at Dive Bar make everything more complex.

Being a new series, there’s quite a bit of world building here. There are a range of new characters to introduce, from Vaughan’s family to the colleagues at Dive Bar who will be looking for a happy ever after in future stories. It’s worth being patient here because in my experience, the Stage Dive series hit its stride running in book 2. So naturally I’m looking forward to the second book, Twist! It’s going to take me some time to warm to the characters and get thoroughly invested in their lives. I think it was really clever to have Vaughan as the hero in this book, as he was an intriguing character in Deep. We learn about his past and a bit more about what makes him tick. He’s not the sweet but sleazy guy that he was while in the band though. This guy is broken and confused. You could say the same of heroine Lydia. She’s been searching for a family after her own didn’t really fit the criteria. She latches on to the first person to show her affection, which ends in a spectacularly bad way. There’s talk of lawyers, police and defamation cases. Lydia paints herself as shy and pretty straight laced, but she finds a spine pretty darn quickly to be a sassy character. She and Vaughan also have an insta-attraction that develops into friends with benefits. For me, it all happened a little too quickly (within days of the not-wedding). I found it a bit hard to believe that Lydia was so reserved when it came to relationships and so ready to forget her ex so quickly. If it had happened just a little slower, I would have been completely cool with it. And maybe a little time between the angsty breakup/makeup bits…

I did like how Lydia managed to stand on her own two feet beyond Vaughan. Finding a job at Dive Bar and pushing herself toward to offer her expertise was a great example of girl power. The female friendships she developed were also strong in such a short time frame. I’m looking forward to more in the series now that we’ve established the world of Dive Bar.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I wanted a sexy fun audiobook as I had a lot of driving to do, and I got my sexy fun audiobook in spades. Loved it! Given the title and the cover photo I expected real smut, and it was not that. It's a proper whirlwind romance. There is semi-graphic sex, spicy but free of fetish. I would not classify it as erotica since it is never really about sex -- rather the physical relationship flows with the story. It is sweet and amusing and authentic (no 28 year old billionaires, but 28 year old semi-failed musicians with money problems and emotional baggage of the sort we all have.) The funny and sexy leads are people you would want to hang out with and there are really good secondary characters as well. The reader was lively and fun and a great fit for the material. I am completely onboard, and will be reading more Kylie Scott soon. ( )
  Narshkite | Oct 10, 2017 |

Kylie Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arndt, AndiReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, MacmillanPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Love--on the rocks...The last thing Vaughan Hewson expects to find when he returns to his childhood home is a broken hearted bride in his shower, let alone the drama and chaos that come with her. Lydia Green doesn't know whether to scream or cry in a corner. Discovering the love of your life is having an affair on your wedding day is bad enough. Finding out it's with his best man is another thing all together. Just when this runaway bride has nowhere left to turn, a handsome stranger offers her a broad, muscular shoulder to cry on. Vaughan is the exact opposite of the picture perfect, respected businessmen she's normally drawn to. This former musician-turned-bartender is rough around the edges and is facing his own crossroads. But Lydia's already tried Mr. Right and discovered he's all wrong--maybe it's time to give Mr. Right Now a chance. After all, what's wrong with getting dirty?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,628,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible