Closing Time by Joseph Heller

Closing Time (1994)

by Joseph Heller

Series: Catch-22 (2)

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The original story of Yossarian and company; "Closing Time" is the sequel.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Referenced in the story; Kurt Vonnegut was also a good friend of Joseph Heller.
    The Deer Park by Norman Mailer (posquacchera)

English (9)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (12)
Vervolg op Catch 22
  Marjoles | Mar 3, 2019 |
As a big fan of Catch-22, I was eager to read Closing Time yet at the same time not expecting much.

Part of the story focuses around Sammy Singer, the tailgunner on the plane in which Yossarian fails to save Snowden, and new character Lew Rabinowitz. Most of the rest of the story follows the elderly Yossarian, Chaplain Shipman and Milo Minderbinder.

I found that the story following the characters retained from Catch-22 were full of the outrageous and witty anecdotes that you'd expect to find in a Heller novel. To my surprise, the introduction of Milo's son, nicknamed M2, is a welcome addition to the story and he fits in perfectly with the classic characters.
Where, I feel, the novel lacks is in the sections on Singer and Rabinowitz. These parts just lack the charm and ridiculousness that people familiar with Heller would come to expect.

Overall, while this book is certainly a long way off its prequel in terms of quality, I think that this should be considered entirely separately to Catch-22 and it is definitely worth a read for those who are curious. ( )
2 vote GeorgeW49 | Mar 27, 2012 |
I struggled to maintain interest as the context kept switching and the climax is tedious as it is thoroughly disconnected fro the characters struggles and experiences in the book.

There are two distinct stories threaded through the book. The absurdities experienced by the Catch 22 characters and the more down to earth experiences of the other WW2 veterans Sam and Lew. Neither of the two stories are particularly bad, but intertwined as they are it falls apart. Either would have been okay as a stand alone story.

Frankly I recommend you to skip this one. There are better things to spend your time on. ( )
1 vote craigwbrown | Mar 1, 2010 |
4/10. Non-sensical and not funny. ( )
1 vote theboylatham | Jan 25, 2010 |
I was anxious to read this once I learned of its existence, and re-read Catch-22 to familiarize myself once again with those characters that I had formed such a bond with so many years ago.

However, I found myself a bit disappointed in reading this. I don't want to discourage anyone, as I did not feel it was a "bad" book at all, and I did want to keep reading and find out what should happen... but it certainly did not entertain me and move me as Catch-22 did.

Here, we visit again with Yossarian, much later in his life. He has been married, had children, and in general just gone on living his kooky life. We also re-visit some of the folks he used to know, but most of the characters are new to us. Some of them likable, some of them not, all of them with their own quirks. Yossarian, of course, is still they key figure in the tale, but I found him a bit more lacking than before. In my eyes, he wasn't nearly as easy to fall "in love" with as he was in Catch-22, not nearly so wild and crazy. The plot and storyline still were, but it just didn't have the same feeling or appeal as the one that came before.

However, while it's not something I think I would pick up again, I am glad to have read it, and learned what happened with more of his life, and some of those I came to love so preciously.

Yossarian lives! ;) ( )
  .Monkey. | Oct 22, 2009 |
Interview:
In 'Sluitingstijd', zoals de Nederlandse vertaling luidt, maakt Heller de balans op van de afgelopen vijftig jaar. De belangrijkste personages uit Catch-22 maken opnieuw hun opwachting zoals Yossarian, de eigenzinnige luchtmachtkanonnier, en Milo Minderbinder, de dubieuze regelneef die zijn werkterrein verlegd heeft naar de wapenindustrie. Yossarians commentaar op het gekonkel van de politici en schimpscheuten aan het adres van de president, die het hele boek door consequent wordt aangeduid met 'het lulletje', sluiten direct aan op de satirische toonzetting van Catch-22.

Interview:
Heeft u met Closing Time een allesomvattend boek willen schrijven, een meesterproef van alle mogelijke genres en stijlen?

“Niet van alle mogelijke stijlen, maar wel van de stijlen die mij ter beschikking stonden. Het was een boek waarvan ik het gevoel had: dit moet ik nu schrijven, want zoveel jaren resten me niet meer. En gaandeweg kwam ik erachter dat mijn beheersing van de taal nog steeds groeiende is. Dat verbaasde me, want het schrijven zelf wordt er niet makkelijker op met de jaren. The longer we do it, the harder it gets.”

Joseph Hellerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carrero, NataliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerrigan, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When people our age speak of the war it is not of Vietnam but of the one that broke out more than half a century ago and swept in almost all the world.

A sequel to Catch-22, the 1961 humorous bestseller about a group of American airmen during World War II. The novel follows many of the same characters in their current escapades--mainly to do with selling defense equipment to the Pentagon. In addition, there are their views on the decline of America.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,826,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible