Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot by…

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

by John Callahan

Quadriplegic and a recovering alcoholic and yet able to laugh and to find humor in things others would find a reason for self pity. This moving account of his alcoholism and his accident which left him paralyzed from the neck down, is inspirational, but also full of humor, yes sick humor, but humor, nevertheless,His drawings are priceless and every page of this book is worth reading over and over again. Want a laugh? Run out and buy this book, if you can find it, as it was written in 1990. Try, try to find a resource to buy it. You won't regret it, ever. I heartily recommend this book for everyone! ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Mar 15, 2014 |
Surprisingly entertaining disability narrative that turns out to be an alcoholism narrative, by the Portland cartoonist. Has many startlingly funny turns of phrase ("standing at the corner of Whatsa Vista Boulevard and Three Millionth Street" in Orange County) and some excellent shop talk on the cartooning business.
  athenasowl | Aug 2, 2011 |
I'm sorry that I didn't find this book until just after Callahan's recent passing, but glad that I found it at all. I'd certainly seen a few of his cartoons, but knew nothing of the complex personality behind them. A deceptively slim volume for the amount of misery and hilarity crammed into it (plus it has pictures!). Fragrantly foul and purely honest, and funny, funny, funny. ( )
  Knicke | Feb 18, 2011 |
My dad got me this book for my birthday one year. I'm a great fan of all things having to do with comic strips, so I was delighted. I love the title. I love the little cartoons scattered throughout the pages. Callahan's attitude throgh the whole thing is great, despite all of the very traumatizing experiences he had through his life. Very inspiring, but doesn't cram any mushy stuff down your throat. ( )
  Arkholt | Sep 28, 2009 |
Great book & I highly recommend it! I heard they were going to make it into a movie with Robin Williams in the lead. Still waiting.... ( )
  clm256poetry | Nov 25, 2007 |

Is it possible to find humor -- corrosive, taboo-shattering, laugh-till-you-cry humor -- in the story of a 38-year-old- cartoonist who's both a quadriplegic and a recovering alcoholic? The answer is yes, if the cartoonist is John Callahan -- whose infamous work has graced the pages of Omni, Penthouse, and The New Yorker -- and if he's telling it in his own words and pictures. But Callahan's uncensored account of his troubled -- and sometimes impossible -- life is also genuinely inspiring. Without self-pity or self-righteousness, this liberating book tells us how a quadriplegic with a healthy libido has sex, what it's like to live in the exitless maze of the welfare system, where a cartoonist finds his comedy, and how a man with no reason to believe in anything discovers his own brand of faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible