Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot by…

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (edition 1990)

by John Callahan

Member:alluvia
Title:Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
Authors:John Callahan
Info:Vintage (1990), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:11-22-2011

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot by John Callahan

Story of a quadraplegic and how he got that way and how he copes The man is nuts - writes cartoons and comes up with lines like the title. ( )
  WinonaBaines | Dec 5, 2015 |
Quadriplegic and a recovering alcoholic and yet able to laugh and to find humor in things others would find a reason for self pity. This moving account of his alcoholism and his accident which left him paralyzed from the neck down, is inspirational, but also full of humor, yes sick humor, but humor, nevertheless,His drawings are priceless and every page of this book is worth reading over and over again. Want a laugh? Run out and buy this book, if you can find it, as it was written in 1990. Try, try to find a resource to buy it. You won't regret it, ever. I heartily recommend this book for everyone! ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Mar 15, 2014 |
Surprisingly entertaining disability narrative that turns out to be an alcoholism narrative, by the Portland cartoonist. Has many startlingly funny turns of phrase ("standing at the corner of Whatsa Vista Boulevard and Three Millionth Street" in Orange County) and some excellent shop talk on the cartooning business.
  athenasowl | Aug 2, 2011 |
I'm sorry that I didn't find this book until just after Callahan's recent passing, but glad that I found it at all. I'd certainly seen a few of his cartoons, but knew nothing of the complex personality behind them. A deceptively slim volume for the amount of misery and hilarity crammed into it (plus it has pictures!). Fragrantly foul and purely honest, and funny, funny, funny. ( )
  Knicke | Feb 18, 2011 |
My dad got me this book for my birthday one year. I'm a great fan of all things having to do with comic strips, so I was delighted. I love the title. I love the little cartoons scattered throughout the pages. Callahan's attitude throgh the whole thing is great, despite all of the very traumatizing experiences he had through his life. Very inspiring, but doesn't cram any mushy stuff down your throat. ( )
  Arkholt | Sep 28, 2009 |
For my family and Debbie Levin
On the last day that I walked, I woke up without a hangover.

Is it possible to find humor -- corrosive, taboo-shattering, laugh-till-you-cry humor -- in the story of a 38-year-old- cartoonist who's both a quadriplegic and a recovering alcoholic? The answer is yes, if the cartoonist is John Callahan -- whose infamous work has graced the pages of Omni, Penthouse, and The New Yorker -- and if he's telling it in his own words and pictures. But Callahan's uncensored account of his troubled -- and sometimes impossible -- life is also genuinely inspiring. Without self-pity or self-righteousness, this liberating book tells us how a quadriplegic with a healthy libido has sex, what it's like to live in the exitless maze of the welfare system, where a cartoonist finds his comedy, and how a man with no reason to believe in anything discovers his own brand of faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

In 1972, at the age of 21, John Callahan was involved in a car crash that severed his spine and made him a quadriplegic. A heavy drinker since the age of 12 (alcohol had played a role in his crash), the accident could have been the beginning of a downward spiral. Instead, it sparked a personal transformation. After extensive physical therapy, he was eventually able to grasp a pen in his right hand and make rudimentary drawings. By 1978, Callahan had sworn off drinking for good, and begun to draw cartoons. Over the next three decades, until his death in 2010, Callahan would become one of the nation's most beloved--and at times polarizing--cartoonists. His work, which shows off a wacky and sometimes warped sense of humor, pokes fun at social conventions and pushes boundaries. One cartoon features Christ at the cross with a thought bubble reading "T.G.I.F." In another, three sheriffs on horseback approach an empty wheelchair in the desert. "Don't worry," one sheriff says to another, "He won't get far on foot." Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot recounts Callahan's life story, from the harrowing to the hilarious. Featuring more than 60 of Callahan's cartoons, it's a compelling look at art, addiction, disability, and fame. A film adaptation scheduled for 2018, starring Joaquin Phoenix as John Callahan, will bring fresh attention to this underappreciated classic. - publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,618,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible