La Condition Humaine, texte intégral,…

La Condition Humaine, texte intégral, dossier (original 1933; edition 1996)

by André Malraux

Member:hnn
Title:La Condition Humaine, texte intégral, dossier
Authors:André Malraux
Info:Gallimard (1996), Poche
Tags:fiction

Man's Fate by André Malraux (1933)

English (20)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (27)
“Tonight, his life was going to change: the power of thought is not great against the metamorphosis to which death can oblige a man. He was henceforth thrown back upon himself. The world no longer had any meaning, no longer existed: the irretrievable immobility, there, beside that body which had bound him to the universe, was like a suicide of God.”

I’ve not read any fictionalized version of the Chinese Revolution. Admittedly, it’s mostly been of the Soviet variety. So, I can appreciate getting a backdrop to events that I only know cursorily through history—the motivations and psychology that went into each moving part, each country or faction’s stake in the event, each principle character lending a hand in constructing (or deconstructing, depending on the instance) a picture to a very complicated puzzle.

Unfortunately, the characters really have no personality deeper than those motivations or allegiances to their faction. Whether Chinese, Japanese, French, or Russian, I really don’t get a sense of any individual personality outside of its group. They seem more facsimile than real beings of pathos. And the settings leave you wondering just where in the hell you are. If that were the point—to leave you disoriented and crouched in the jungle gloom—I’d get it; but, honestly, it’s hard to pay attention to flat characters moving from offices to bombed-out buildings to forests to streets, especially with all that action.

Don’t get me wrong—there are some shining moments here. Some truly painful moments. One scene with a character splitting his cyanide tablet in half for a pair of suffering revolutionaries who then drop those pieces . . . yeah, more of that kind of shit. A character stumbles across a child’s severed arm, and that visual is strong, but then it’s immediately whisked away with more bombing. Which, to be fair, wouldn’t probably get properly assessed until later, anyway. But we never get that character’s reckoning of the horror in any real sense. More complexity of characters and their interactions instead of merely steamrolling the action would’ve had more impact.

Honestly, with all that death and self-sacrifice, I was kind of bored with the politics, the boardroom meetings, the too-quick revelations of man’s condition. Which is especially disappointing since the French title is 𝘓𝘢 𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘏𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦. I wanted more than just shrapnel to stick into the meat. Maybe I was looking for too much. But I often found myself drifting . . .

“The room remained the same: the mosquito-net, the blank walls, the clear rectangle of light; murder changes nothing . . .” ( )
  ToddSherman | May 8, 2018 |
Early in Man’s Fate, before the armed uprising in Shanghai that proved a key conflict in China’s early 20th century history, André Malraux describes an interesting way his Chinese revolutionaries transmit secret messages.

Two vinyl recordings labeled as language-teaching records are played, each starting at the same instant. The first record hisses so one can’t hear the words on the second record. At select moments the hissing briefly stops, a quiet interval just long enough so that a single word from the second record is heard. Then the hissing resumes until it stops again to allow a second word to be heard. The hissing/quiet/hissing/quiet continues until, by the time both records reach their ends, all words of the message have been revealed. Plus, the two records are always shipped separately to ensure security of the message.

Vinyl Encryption! Nice. Effective for 1920s rebels and not a bad name for a band. It’s even possible to see it as a symbol for how essential coordination and communication are to success, which becomes terribly evident as the revolt goes on.

In this novel Malraux gives the impression he would rather be thought to have a highly original intelligence, or a great capacity for the profound, than anything else praiseworthy. The risk of appearing ordinary in the extraordinary scenes he has composed seems to me slight but, just in case, his characters often express thoughts more apt to arrest and distract the reader than immerse him in the story. In this he does those characters, notably the Gisors, no favors. This heightened desire for originality reminds me of the similarly surnamed Norman Mailer who often seemed to be striving to find ideas that would make people want to talk to him at parties. Malraux emerged into fame from 1920s Paris, a competitive scene for the creatively gifted where one could not, I imagine, not value any effort that might make a memorable impression.

In contrast, Malraux does well with how he makes us aware of conditions provoking the general strike that occurred just before the uprising, simply reporting the slogans expressing demands on banners hung about Shanghai: “A twelve-hour working day,” “No more employment of children under eight,” “Right to sit down for women-workers.” No explanation needed. No wonder the protests and revolt.

I’ve read complaints about Haakon Chevalier’s translation of La Condition Humaine, voiced mostly by readers who acknowledge not knowing French. When one doesn’t know the original language, how is it decided that the translator, not the author, is at fault? One way would be to compare Chevalier’s version to Alistair MacDonald’s, titled A Storm in Shanghai, a title not boding well for McDonald’s effort. Let’s give Haakon some credit. Man’s Fate is a way better title than MacDonald‘s invention. As for the immediately obvious The Human Condition, that strikes me as a literalism that could hardly be duller or more vague. If we have to choose between pretentious titles then at least let us choose the most portentous.

But, well, that’s just, like, my opinion, man.

My other opinion is that this is a dramatic story Malraux has told, with the playing out of the revolution having the qualities of suspense, excitement, and surprise that I like such a story to have. And despite what can seem excessive devotion to profundity and portent in Malraux’s telling, he often enough hits on just the right tone and mood to make his story have an impact it could not otherwise have. He is even, at times, original and possibly profound.

For a more conventional but also good novel set during the Chinese revolution of the 1920s, try The Sand Pebbles by Richard McKenna. ( )
1 vote dypaloh | Jan 28, 2018 |
This was an interesting read; one of my random picks for 2017 and also chosen because it was a winner of the Goncourt (1933), it tells the story of the 1927 Chinese revolution and the violent suppression of the communist party in China.

Authors of this period, such as Malraux, André Gide and Romain Roland were attracted to leftist politics, specifically the version put forth by the Soviet Union. Both their own ideological convictions and material concerns played a role in this, as the USSR sponsored conferences of writers and helped found literary organizations during the Popular Front era, which for it marked a definite de-emphasis of the revolutionary role of the working class, and an accommodation with intellectuals as well as the ruling class itself in the name of anti-fascism. https://thatfaintlight.wordpress.com/.... The author of this book is French and this is French literature but it is set in China. It does feature a Ferrel, a French man who would be a typical capitalist stereotype, definitely lacking in redeeming traits and other foriegn countries are represented. This story is of 4 men; Kyo Gisors, an idealist, Chen Ta Erh, a communist terrorist, Baron Clappique – a French merchant and smuggler, and Kaptov, a Russian advisor to the communist party.

I found the story interesting in comparison to the history I had been taught about Chiang Kai-shek and conservative factions in the Kuomintang (Nationalist Party). This was a whole different perspective and a look at the world of the terrorist from the point of view of the terrorist. I found the book easy to read. My translation was by Haakon M. Chevalier.

Quotes;
"the sons of torture victims make good terrorist", pg 189 Suan
pages 238-239; talks about his fate as man.... All that man is willing to die for " A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, of what he can do" "to be more than a man, in a world of men. To escape man's fate." "Not powerful: all powerful. The visionary disease, of which the will to power is only intellectual justification is the will to god-head. Every man dreams of being god."

pg 243, "it was necessary that terrorism become a mystic cult."

Rating: 4 ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 30, 2017 |
580. Man's Fate (La Condition Humaine), by Andre Malraux translated by Haakon M. Chevalier (read 25 July 1959) (Prix Goncourt for 1933) I was not overly impressed by this rather turgid book ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 26, 2013 |
The book that made Malraux famous. A story of revolution, and the endurance of humanity in the most despairing and inhumane conditions. The kind of story that's needed, now more than ever.

There's a good book in here somewhere. Some of the scenes are incredibly vivid, but much is lost in translation. The prose is clunky, and some explosive scenes are ruined by bad phrasing.

Very frustrating - this is the sort of thing that makes me want to learn French. Ah well.

Recommended for die-hard revolutionaries, and Francophones. ( )
2 vote HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Malraux, Andréprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chevalier, Haakon M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Du Perron, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Høst, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Høst, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
a' Eddy du Perron
Should he try to raise the mosquito-netting?

Man's Fate is Malraux's most celebrated novel. It describes the 1927 Communist uprising in Shanghai, and encompasses one of the author's favorite themes: that all men will attempt to escape, or to transcend, the human condition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679725741, Paperback)

Man's Fate was first published in 1933. As a fictional account of the early days of the Chinese Revolution, this novel remains a powerful expression of psychological insight into the spirit of political revolution. From the opening scene, in which Chinese terrorist Ch'en Ta Erh struggles internally over his task of assassinating a sleeping man, Malraux combines gritty action with an elaboration of the existential principle that social change is powered by the actions of individuals.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

As explosive and immediate today as when it was originally published in 1933, Man's Fate (La Condition Humaine), an account of a crucial episode in the early days of the Chinese Revolution, foreshadows the contemporary world and brings to life the profound meaning of the revolutionary impulse for the individuals involved. As a study of conspiracy and conspirators, of men caught in the desperate clash of ideologies, betrayal, expediency, and free will, Andre Malraux's novel remains unequaled.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible