Mice And Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan

Mice And Beans (edition 2005)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Joe Cepeda (Illustrator)

Member:JuanaD.Luna
Title:Mice And Beans
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Joe Cepeda (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Class review, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:chicano, mexican american, latinos, spanish, bilingual, spanglish, dichos, mexican cooking, families

Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan

I really liked this book for the storyline and the writing. I realized after reading this book that the author is the same author who wrote Esperanza Rising. The writing in this book was in English and Spanish. The sentences had words or phrases in Spanish. For example, “Que boba soy! Silly me, I must have forgotten again!” the words and phrases, when set into context made sense, even to someone who doesn’t know Spanish. There is also a glossary of the terms in the back of the book as well as a recipe for the Rice and Beans she was making in the story. Also throughout the book there were a few phrases and thoughts that were repeated multiple times. This helped the progression of the book and made it interesting. The storyline was also really good in this book. It went through the days of the week leading up to the party on each page. It showed the progression of events and helped with the repeating phrases. The main idea of this story is family and the importance of finding new friends in unlikely situations. ( )
  tsmith44 | May 11, 2014 |
In Ryan’s Mice and Beans, a grandmother is busy planning a party for her granddaughter while trying to prevent any mice from “ruining” the grand event. The extensive process and behind the scenes planning reveals how significant family events and people are in the [Latino] culture and how they are highly valued.
I was glad to have had the chance to read this book by Pam Munoz Ryan. I had read Esperanza Rising for my Lit Circle book so it was a nice shift in writing style and imagery to see from her. Mice and Beans is an extremely humorous and lively book. The illustrations are brightly colored and very expressive. The reader gets a sense of the hectic-ness of the story and is able to become engaged with it as well. The amount of activity and movement with the pictures is not only aesthetically pleasing, but contributes a great amount to how the book is read.
  rebeccarodela | Mar 8, 2014 |
What a sweet story of Rosa Maria, who lived in a tiny casita but made room for her family. She said, "Where there is room in the heart, there's room in the house, except for a mouse." What a great saying! Rosa is preparing for a fiesta at her house with her family and throughout the week finds that there are things missing but focuses on what is importa! She discovers she's had some help! A darling book, for all ages. ( )
  KelseyDavison | Mar 2, 2014 |
Rosa María is preparing for her granddaughters Catalina’s birthday party in one week. As the week goes by, she prepares different things for the party and notices each day that she is missing items, each time she says “No importa” meaning “it doesn’t matter” and continues with her list. As the book progresses, we see that the mice are taking the missing items and then we also see them fill the piñata which is the last item on the list. On the day of the party, Rosa sees that the piñata is full even though she didn’t fill it seeing the mice did it and remembers what her mom said “When there’s room in the heart, there’s room in the house EVEN for a mouse”.
This book does a great job at having fun with the pictures, which contributes to the story as the plot continues through the pictures. The use of color is amazing as well, without being too much for children. The fact that the illustrations are done in pastels is surprising because it has such detail. The story itself is so wonderful because it truly gives you the experience of latino/a families’ celebrations. The point of view is from a 3rd person which children will love because they can see everything going on.
Personally, I love this book! To begin with, the author does a great job of incorporating Spanish words within the book and explains them to the children reading. She also has a saying for the main character, which is great because Latino’s do have a lot of sayings and includes this without having an explanation for it. The overall theme is great of course, by saying that even something as “meaningless” or unliked as a mouse still is important. The overall presentation of this book is lovely and I can relate to it a lot because it makes me think about my family.

I would use this book to teach word choice because the author does a great job of incorporating spanish words to readers in a fun way. Students will think about their own sayings and add it to their texts. Voice is a great idea to use this book too because the characters are so funny and really stand out from the book. ( )
  JuanaD.Luna | Nov 14, 2012 |
Rosa Maria was planning her youngest grandchild's birthday party. She had a small house but a big heart and anyone was welcome in her house, except for mice! She planned to make enchiladas, beans, and rice. She never made a meal without beans and rice. She got pinatas, lemonade, and her granddaughter a swing set. She worked all week getting things together and each day of the week she did something different. The only thing that was the same every day of the week was that she set mouse traps every night before bed. Every night before she went to bed she realized the traps were disappearing. She thought she was just crazy and forgetting to set them. She made it through out the week and to her granddaughters birthday party. Everything was going great but she kept feeling like she was forgetting something but didn't know what. Just as the kids lined up to hit the pinata she realized what she had forgot, the candy! She tried to stop them but it was too late they busted it open and somehow candy fell out! She thought "I don't remember doing that" and was confused. Just before going to bed when she was sweeping out the pantry she found candy rappers that led to a small mouse hole, she then realized the mice helped her out. So in the end she had a small house with a big heart and everyone was welcome, even mice!

I personally enjoyed this book. I thought it was cute how she thought she was just losing her mind and the whole time the little mice were playing tricks on her. I also liked how it was repetitive and every night she set the mouse trap only to find it gone the next morning.

1. As a teacher I would really enjoy this book for the kids because it teaches them the days of the week.

2. I also like how it had some Spanish words here and there and then showed them in English. I don't think it would hurt at all to mix Spanish with English in the classroom.

3. I would also make Rice and Beans and maybe some kind of Mexican dip or tortillas to go with it since Rosa always had rice and beans with everything.

4. Lastly I would let the kids participate in helping read where the book says "When it was set and ready to snap she turned off the light and went to be." It's repetitive and would keep the kids paying attention because they had a part in the book as well.
  chelseannorman | Aug 26, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439701368, Paperback)

"When there's room in the heart, there's room in the house, except for a mouse." Those are the words that Rosa María remembers (an old saying from her mother) as she's preparing for the birthday of Little Catalina, her soon-to-be 7-year-old granddaughter. She's hoping to squeeze the entire family into her tiny casita for a fiesta with enchiladas, rice and beans ("no dinner was complete without rice and beans!"), birthday cake, a brand-new swing set, and even a piñata packed with candy.

But in the week before the party, there's so much to keep track of ("I am so busy that I'm forgetting to remember!") that she's just not sure she'll have everything ready. And to top it off, she keeps forgetting to set mousetraps for all the ratones scurrying around her home... or does she? She might not know it yet, but Rosa María lives with some pretty clever mice.

Illustrator Joe Cepeda's forgetful abuelita is a riot as she preps for the party, with her giant red glasses and braided blonde hair like a loaf of bread. Those frisky little rodents also manage to put on quite a show scrabbling around the vibrantly colored casita. Pam Muñoz Ryan's expert timing, rhythmic repetition, and skillfully sprinkled Spanish (with pronunciation glossary in the back) keep the story moving muy rápido, and the party--of course--turns out wonderfully, but with at least one good surprise. Maybe Rosa María misheard her mother's saying about those mice after all. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:29 -0400)

In this rhythmic cumulative tale Rosa Maria spends the week getting ready for her granddaughter's birthday party and trying to avoid attracting mice--unaware that the mice in her walls are preparing for a party of their own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible