Mice And Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan

Mice And Beans (edition 2005)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Joe Cepeda (Illustrator)

Member:JuanaD.Luna
Title:Mice And Beans
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Joe Cepeda (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Class review, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:chicano, mexican american, latinos, spanish, bilingual, spanglish, dichos, mexican cooking, families

Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan

A little girl helps to prepare for her grandmother party, trying not to attract mice to the party. However the mice are planning a party of their own, and have ever intention to get anything they need for their fiesta. This cute little book is fun for all young readers. I suggest you grab this book and read along side of young one. Good book to read. ( )
  amartino1208 | May 1, 2015 |
Forgetful Abuelita is preparing for her daughter's 7th birthday. Day after day, she prepares, but keeps thinking she has forgotten to set the mice traps. When the big day comes, she has forgotten to put the candies in the piñata, only to find that the mice in her walls have done it for her, in addition to hiding all of those traps!
  mlbailey77 | May 1, 2015 |
I absolutely love this book! I actually used it as a read aloud for my placement in a 2nd grade classroom and the kids loved it! Within this book, there are a few Spanish words and phrases that are mixed into the English text. I think that the inclusion of these words is extremely important and significant because it allows the students to hear another language alongside their native language of English. Also, it allows them to work on their inference and context clue skills because they can use the surrounding text to make inferences of what the Spanish phrase or word means! However, if in case the students don’t quite comprehend the word based on those skills it is always imperative to know what the words and phrases mean (as the teacher)! In addition to knowing what the Spanish words and phrases mean, the teacher should try their best to pronounce them as best as they can! From my personal experience, I tried my best to speak the Spanish words and phrases while doing the read-aloud and all of the students genuinely liked the book and how they could learn some words in a new language! And if you happen to mispronounce a few of the words or phrases, a 2nd grader who happens to be a fluent Spanish speaker can help you out!
Another reason why I really enjoyed this book is the illustrations and organization of the text. The vibrant colors along with the textures of the characters and setting really allow the reader/audience to become interested and involved in the story. The bolded words within the text also keep the reader/audience engaged with the storyline because the teacher (during a read aloud) can put more emphasis on those words as well as ask questions to the reader/audience. Overall, I really loved this book and I definitely plan on using it once I have my own classroom! ( )
  srogel1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
A precious story about a grandmother getting ready for her granddaughter's birthday party and overcoming her fears of mice. ( )
  jlaurendine | Feb 3, 2015 |
Great book to bring Latino culture into the classroom. Can be used to teach about different cultures and customs and vocabulary in Spanish as well.
  hugo.johnson | Aug 13, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439701368, Paperback)

"When there's room in the heart, there's room in the house, except for a mouse." Those are the words that Rosa María remembers (an old saying from her mother) as she's preparing for the birthday of Little Catalina, her soon-to-be 7-year-old granddaughter. She's hoping to squeeze the entire family into her tiny casita for a fiesta with enchiladas, rice and beans ("no dinner was complete without rice and beans!"), birthday cake, a brand-new swing set, and even a piñata packed with candy.

But in the week before the party, there's so much to keep track of ("I am so busy that I'm forgetting to remember!") that she's just not sure she'll have everything ready. And to top it off, she keeps forgetting to set mousetraps for all the ratones scurrying around her home... or does she? She might not know it yet, but Rosa María lives with some pretty clever mice.

Illustrator Joe Cepeda's forgetful abuelita is a riot as she preps for the party, with her giant red glasses and braided blonde hair like a loaf of bread. Those frisky little rodents also manage to put on quite a show scrabbling around the vibrantly colored casita. Pam Muñoz Ryan's expert timing, rhythmic repetition, and skillfully sprinkled Spanish (with pronunciation glossary in the back) keep the story moving muy rápido, and the party--of course--turns out wonderfully, but with at least one good surprise. Maybe Rosa María misheard her mother's saying about those mice after all. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:29 -0400)

In this rhythmic cumulative tale Rosa Maria spends the week getting ready for her granddaughter's birthday party and trying to avoid attracting mice--unaware that the mice in her walls are preparing for a party of their own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible