A World Without You by Beth Revis

A World Without You

by Beth Revis

I finished A World Without You by Beth Revis sometime last week, and it's taken me a bit to process it. A World Without You follows the story of Bo, who believes he has the ability to travel through time. He attends Berkshire Academy, which on the outside is a school for troubled youth, but Bo knows that it's really a cover up for the truth: Berkshire is a place for kids who have superpowers.

After Bo's love, Sofia, commits suicide, Bo has difficulty believing that she's really gone. Instead, he believes that she's trapped somewhere in the past, and that only he as the ability to save her. As Bo gets deeper into his mission to save Sofia, Bo's reality gets more and more muddled until he is no longer sure what is real and what isn't.

The premise of this book sounded awesome to me, which is why I picked it up at the library. Revis drops the reader right in the middle of the action at the beginning of the book, which is a bit disorienting but also mimics the way that Bo must be feeling at the death of Sofia. Revis did an excellent job of constructing well-rounded characters, characters that you become attached to by the end. The portrayal of mental illness here was really strong, giving readers a variety in terms of the way it affects different individuals.

While I think this book is important in the way that it deaths with mental illness, I had issues with the structure of the plot itself. I felt as though there were scenes and parts of the story that weren't needed; eliminating these would have created a more immersive experience for me, as the reader. I also wanted Bo's sister, Phoebe, to take a stronger role in Bo's struggle with mental illness. She was given a strong presence in the book, yet I wasn't exactly sure why, or whether or not her chapters were really necessary. I think the book could have gotten along fine without them.

Overall, if you're looking for an immersive read that positively portrays mental illness, I think I would still recommend this book. Despite the plot flaws (in my opinion), it's super important in terms of the YA mental illness genre. ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Absolutely heartbreaking story & fantastic writing. ( )
  cecilywolfe | Jan 4, 2018 |
I was looking forward to this because I really liked Across the Universe but this felt really long and repetitive. It was okay and I like that it portrays severe psychosis but. Eh. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Very nicely written, imaginative (so rare these days!) novel about mental illness, love, despair, and hope, and the private worlds we create for ourselves that help us survive. It's a complex view of teenage love, grief, and mental illness, and though the subject matter is I think very heavy for a YA book, many will love this gripping view of what it's like to live in a world of one's own making.

Thank you to the author and publisher for a review copy. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | Jul 30, 2017 |
This book kept me wondering about what was real, which is the same struggle that Bo has for much of this book. He's in a special school for students with emotional issues, at least that's the cover the school uses. Bo believes it is a school for students with superpowers. His power is the ability to manipulate the time stream. He's determined to save his girlfriend, Sofia who either committed suicide or is trapped in time. The book uses multiple narrators, both Bo and his sister Phoebe.
I was with Bo, but then started to have my doubts. Revis does a really good job walking the line between supernatural and delusion. ( )
  ewyatt | Apr 14, 2017 |

"After the unexpected loss of his girlfriend, a teenage boy suffering from delusions is convinced that he can travel through time to save her"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible