The Pianoplayers by Anthony Burgess

The Pianoplayers (original 1986; edition 1987)

by Anthony Burgess

Member:emily_morine
Title:The Pianoplayers
Authors:Anthony Burgess
Info:Washington Square Press (1987), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:20thcentury, modernist, parentsandchildren, menandwomen, lesbianism, lesbians, rape, fathersanddaughters, showbusiness, vaudeville, silentmovies, cinema, britain, england, british, firstperson, xy

The Pianoplayers by Anthony Burgess (1986)

Burgess is quite hit and miss, of course. Some of my favourite books are by Burgess, but some of my least favourite are too. The titillating cover drew me in. Part of my dissatisfaction might've been thinking there would be far more nunspoloitation and irreverent sex in convents when there was really none at all (the copy is very misleading, likely on purpose). Instead we have hebephilia aplenty, some jabs at the sex lives of Protestants, and a narrative style that just doesn't come off very well. You can see what he's trying to do, but it fails in pretty obvious ways. It was too bad. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Meh. Not my cuppa tea. I'm not prude by any means so it wasn't the subject matter that had me turning my nose up. I just didn't particularly care for the way this was written, i.e., a woman telling her story to a writer who is apparently writing it down word for word. It felt sloppy and rambling.

I never developed an emotional connection to any character in this. It's one of the reasons it took me so long to read (it's not a very long book). Without that connection, I had no reason to want or NEED to pick the book back up again.

Disappointed. This was my first Burgess book. I'm not feeling particularly inspired to pick up another one.

Read more of this review here: https://raeleighreads.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/the-pianoplayers-by-anthony-burgess-a-review/ ( )
  Raeleigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
Read This: This book is wonderfully written by a master of the English language. He writes in the first person as a girl, a difficult task for any man, but if you didn't know who wrote it, you wouldn't be able to tell. The book is entertaining and very interesting. It is very different from "A Clockwork Orange," which is good because here you can see the author's depth and amazing ability.
1 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
A Liana, che conosce tutta la scala cromatica dell'amore.
You can see me any afternoon during the summer months, sitting at one of the tables in the square under the chestnut trees and taking a vanilla ice with a small whisky poured over it.

Legacy Library: Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Anthony Burgess's legacy profile.

See Anthony Burgess's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,773,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible