Tres noches by Austin McGiffert Wright

Tres noches (original 1993; edition 2012)

by Austin McGiffert Wright, Héctor Silva (Translator)

Member:ceguiliorv
Title:Tres noches
Authors:Austin McGiffert Wright
Other authors:Héctor Silva (Translator)
Info:
Tags:Narrativa americana siglo XX

Tony and Susan by Austin Wright (1993)

English (13)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (21)
Knowingly disturbing and deliberately gratuitous. This is not an easy ready by any means. But it is undeniably clever, and it's for this reason I gave it 4 stars. It's a novel within a novel, while at the same time being an essay on what it is to write, and to read. No shortage of references to literary theory here, for those that like their close reading to have been provided by the author. For me, Paul Auster's Oracle Night is an infinitely more subtle readable novel/essay which is a joy to read, rather than something you feel you ought to get through because you can see how smart it is, if this makes sense. If I was rating this simply on reading pleasure, I'd give it 2 stars. ( )
  Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
Started off like a thriller and the storyline was a good page-turner. Nevertheless, I spent most of the book suspecting that Tony had actually killed his family. Never believed the other three did, not even at the end when Tony was facing Ray. The ending was quite brutal, not knowing what happened to Tony, but even moreso the letdown of Susan never speaking with Edward. Weird, as her whole attitude that day was familiar to me. Being coy and not calling, then panicking, then playing at nonchalance. I enjoyed reading it more for the plot than for the writing. ( )
  KymmAC | Jan 16, 2013 |
What a travail! The novel within the novel, "Nocturnal Animals" which takes up about 90% of this book is written in the style of Jim Thompson where the characters having no moral compass appear to have undergone extensive lobotomies having little similarities to any humankind that I've ever run into. I found it impossible to care or identify with anyone inside or outside of the internal novel. If we were told that the entire story took place on a planet other than Earth or perhaps in some other dimension this would make for more of a satisfying ending than the one we are presented with. ( )
  SulfurDog | May 9, 2012 |
Compelling and clever. Susan is more-or-less happily married to a brilliant surgeon and they have three children. But a long time ago she was briefly married to neurotic Edward, who was obsessed with what seemed an unrealistic need to be a writer. Out of the blue Edward sends Susan a novel he has written, with the double-edged comment that she was always his best critic. But it's not a pleasant novel and it's not clear what Edward's motive might be. A very good book about being a reader. ( )
  annesadleir | Mar 1, 2012 |
After reading the synopsis, I couldn't wait to read this book, but what a letdown. It's clear that plenty of people have enjoyed this book, but frankly I couldn't wait to finish it. The thriller within a book was a good idea and the 1.5 stars I've awarded are for that part of the book which at least kept me vaguely entertained. As for the interludes, they droned on and on with words being rehashed over again. I found the style completely clunky; wierd grammar, incomplete sentences, repetition and lack of punctuation was driving me mad by the end. There is obviously some underlying message about feminism within the text, but quite frankly it was far too clever for me and couldn't hold my attention.

Quote to illustrate: "It was important to recognize the importance of things, for he knew now that everything important was important, nothing was more important than importance" ( )
1 vote bibliobeck | Jan 24, 2012 |
For Sally
This goes back to the letter Susan Morrow's first husband Edward sent her last September.
original title: Tony and Susan

Fifteen years ago, Susan Morrow left her first husband Edward Sheffield, an unpublished writer. Now, she's enduring middle class suburbia as a doctor's wife, when out of the blue she receives a package containing the manuscript of her ex-husband's first novel. He writes asking her to read the book; she was always his best critic, he says.

As Susan reads, she is drawn into the fictional life of Tony Hastings, a math professor driving his family to their summer house in Maine. And as we read with her, we too become lost in Sheffield's thriller. As the Hastings' ordinary, civilized lives are disastrously, violently sent off course, Susan is plunged back into the past, forced to confront the darkness that inhabits her, and driven to name the fear that gnaws at her future and will change her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:06 -0400)

While reading the manuscript of her ex-husband's first novel, a thriller involving a math professor whose ordinary life careens off violently off course, Susan Morrow is plunged back into the past and forced to confront her fears.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible