Tres noches by Austin McGiffert Wright

Tres noches (original 1993; edition 2012)

by Austin McGiffert Wright, Héctor Silva (Translator)

Member:ceguiliorv
Title:Tres noches
Authors:Austin McGiffert Wright
Other authors:Héctor Silva (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Salamandra, 2012
Tags:Narrativa americana siglo XX

Tony and Susan by Austin Wright (1993)

English (15)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (23)
This book is a story within a story and is the basis of the new movie “Nocturnal Animals” starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams. Susan, divorced from Edward and now married to Arnold, receives a letter from Edward, whom she hasn’t heard from in 20 years. He’s written a book and wants her opinion. His book is “Nocturnal Animals”, a very suspenseful thriller whose main character, Tony Hastings, is driving his wife and daughter to their summer home in Maine when they run into some seriously scary problems.

I wanted to read this book before seeing the movie but the only edition I could get from the library was the audio version. I haven’t listened to an audio book in a very long time but think I could get very used to being able to do other things, like cook dinner or work on a jigsaw puzzle, while someone is reading to me – nice! I found this to be thoroughly addictive and stayed up late into the night wanting to hear just one more chapter.

The book smoothly moves back and forth between Edward’s novel and what’s happening to Susan as she reads this book. Susan begins to re-live her past with Edward. She begins to wonder what type of man Edward has become and whether this book and Edward’s request for her to read it is his means of sending her some type of a message about their marriage. Is he calling her to account for not trusting his ability to become an author? The book started to drag a bit for me towards the end and Susan at times could be irritating but the ultimate endings of both stories was pitch perfect. This is a literary work so don’t get it just for the thriller part. It’s the type of literary work that will have different meaning to different readers and would be a great choice for discussion in a book club as it leaves a lot of questions in the reader’s mind. I’ve actually seen this marketed as the new “Gone Girl” even though it was written in 1993. This book is much more profound than “Gone Girl” will ever be.

A unique and inventive story about the power of the written word, the responsibility of authors to their readers, revenge, grief, marriage and trust. The movie has become a must see for me but I’m not sure if a movie version of this book will fly since it’s the author’s writing ability that shines more so than the story. Though I’ve started another book, I can’t stop thinking about this one and know I will never forget it. Sad that the author is no longer with us and won’t know of the revival his book has had.

Highly recommended. ( )
  hubblegal | Dec 29, 2016 |
Got because Margot recommended the movie. The first chapter sounded familiar, and eventually I realized I had read it before, as Tony and Susan, a book either given to me or recommended by Sergi years ago. I happily read it again, however! ( )
  KymmAC | Dec 9, 2016 |
Knowingly disturbing and deliberately gratuitous. This is not an easy ready by any means. But it is undeniably clever, and it's for this reason I gave it 4 stars. It's a novel within a novel, while at the same time being an essay on what it is to write, and to read. No shortage of references to literary theory here, for those that like their close reading to have been provided by the author. For me, Paul Auster's Oracle Night is an infinitely more subtle readable novel/essay which is a joy to read, rather than something you feel you ought to get through because you can see how smart it is, if this makes sense. If I was rating this simply on reading pleasure, I'd give it 2 stars. ( )
  Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
Started off like a thriller and the storyline was a good page-turner. Nevertheless, I spent most of the book suspecting that Tony had actually killed his family. Never believed the other three did, not even at the end when Tony was facing Ray. The ending was quite brutal, not knowing what happened to Tony, but even moreso the letdown of Susan never speaking with Edward. Weird, as her whole attitude that day was familiar to me. Being coy and not calling, then panicking, then playing at nonchalance. I enjoyed reading it more for the plot than for the writing. ( )
  KymmAC | Jan 16, 2013 |
What a travail! The novel within the novel, "Nocturnal Animals" which takes up about 90% of this book is written in the style of Jim Thompson where the characters having no moral compass appear to have undergone extensive lobotomies having little similarities to any humankind that I've ever run into. I found it impossible to care or identify with anyone inside or outside of the internal novel. If we were told that the entire story took place on a planet other than Earth or perhaps in some other dimension this would make for more of a satisfying ending than the one we are presented with. ( )
  SulfurDog | May 9, 2012 |
De roman Tony & Susan verscheen in 1994 voor het eerst in Nederland als Het schreeuwen van de nacht en is onlangs herontdekt en heruitgegeven. Anno 2010 heeft het boek de titel Tony & Susan meegekregen. Maar zij zijn niet de enige personages: de roman gaat over Tony & Laura en Helen en Susan & Edward en Arnold. Wie zijn al deze mensen en wat doen ze in dit boek?

For Sally
This goes back to the letter Susan Morrow's first husband Edward sent her last September.

Fifteen years ago, Susan Morrow left her first husband Edward Sheffield, an unpublished writer. Now, she's enduring middle class suburbia as a doctor's wife, when out of the blue she receives a package containing the manuscript of her ex-husband's first novel. He writes asking her to read the book; she was always his best critic, he says.

As Susan reads, she is drawn into the fictional life of Tony Hastings, a math professor driving his family to their summer house in Maine. And as we read with her, we too become lost in Sheffield's thriller. As the Hastings' ordinary, civilized lives are disastrously, violently sent off course, Susan is plunged back into the past, forced to confront the darkness that inhabits her, and driven to name the fear that gnaws at her future and will change her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:13 -0400)

While reading the manuscript of her ex-husband's first novel, a thriller involving a math professor whose ordinary life careens off violently off course, Susan Morrow is plunged back into the past and forced to confront her fears.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,284,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible