A Prisoner in Malta by Phillip DePoy

A Prisoner in Malta

by Phillip DePoy

I have been going through a bit of a rough patch lately, and I needed just the right book to distract me and make me laugh. A Prisoner in Malta fit the bill perfectly. It’s packed with all the right ingredients (for me!): humor, history, intricate mystery, witty banter, a dashing hero, and an absolutely kick ass heroine.

I rarely think about picking up mysteries. Maybe that’s because I am such an enthusiastic reader of historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy, and history. My TBR is already jam-packed with so many of those books. But, when I pick up a great mystery, like A Prisoner in Malta, I almost always enjoy it. Then I end up wondering why I don’t read more mysteries.

The book opens with poet and playwright Christopher Marlowe taking classes at Cambridge. He’s a wee bit of a trouble maker and has a few enemies among his classmates. While at Cambridge he comes to the attention of Sir Francis Walsingham, spymaster for Queen Elizabeth I. Walshingham soon recruits Marlowe and tasks him with retrieving a fellow spy from a heavily guarded prison on the island of Malta. The prisoner has vital information regarding a plot to assassinate the Queen. Marlowe must free the prisoner and bring him back to London.

Along the way, Marlowe encounters many difficulties. The plot twists and turns until the very end. I admit I got a little confused at times, and had to go back and re-read a few passages. This didn’t bother me. What does bother me is figuring out the plot halfway through the book. Thankfully, that did not happen here.

This book is the first in a new series of mysteries starring Christopher Marlowe. I really enjoyed this book, and can’t wait to read the others. A Prisoner in Malta was absolutely what I needed to distract me and lift my spirits. If you like mysteries and some humor, I highly recommend it. ( )
  asoutherngirlreads | Jun 8, 2016 |
I read almost half of this book but could not continue because of the forever increasing cast of characters and subplots. However, I think it is witty and well-written and enjoyed the premise of the novel. ( )
  bogopea | Feb 14, 2016 |
Would make a good film. ( )
  LeighScarletRyan | Feb 7, 2016 |

In 1583, the nineteen-year-old Christopher Marlowe---with a reputation as a brawler, a womanizer, a genius, and a social upstart at Cambridge University---is visited by a man representing Marlowe's benefactors. There are rumors of a growing plot against her majesty Queen Elizabeth I, and the Queen's spymaster, Sir Francis Walsingham, has charged young Marlowe with tracking down the truth. The path to that truth seems to run through an enigmatic prisoner held in complete seclusion in a heavily guarded dungeon in Malta. Marlowe must use every bit of his wits, his skills, and his daring to unravel one of the greatest mysteries in history and help uncover and unravel scheme of assassination and invasion, one involving the government of Spain, high ranking English nobles, and even Pope himself.

Christopher Marlowe---Elizabethan playwright, poet, and spy---is one of the most enigmatic figures in Renaissance England. The son of a shoemaker from Canterbury, he attended Cambridge University on scholarship and, while frequently in trouble, was bailed out through the intercession of Queen Elizabeth I's Privy Council. Long rumored to have been an agent on behalf of the Queen's spymaster, Edgar Award winner Phillip DePoy's new series brings Marlowe and his times to life. [retrieved 5/16/18 from Amazon.com]

"In 1583, the nineteen-year-old Christopher Marlowe--with a reputation as a brawler, a womanizer, a genius, and a social upstart at Cambridge University--is visited by a man representing Marlowe's benefactors. There are rumors of a growing plot against her majesty Queen Elizabeth I, and the Queen's spymaster, Sir Francis Walsingham, has charged young Marlowe with tracking down the truth. The path to that truth seems to run through an enigmatic prisoner held in complete seclusion in a heavily guarded dungeon in Malta. Marlowe must use every bit of his wits, his skills, and his daring to unravel one of the greatest mysteries in history and help uncover and unravel scheme of assassination and invasion, one involving the government of Spain, high ranking English nobles, and even Pope himself. Christopher Marlowe--Elizabethan playwright, poet, and spy--is one of the most enigmatic figures in Renaissance England. The son of a shoemaker from Canterbury, he attended Cambridge University on scholarship and, while frequently in trouble, was bailed out through the intercession of Queen Elizabeth I's Privy Council. Long rumored to have been an agent on behalf of the Queen's spymaster, Edgar Award winner Phillip DePoy's new series brings Marlowe and his times to life"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible