Among the Wicked: A Kate Burkholder Novel by…

Among the Wicked: A Kate Burkholder Novel (edition 2017)

by Linda Castillo (Author)

Member:brendajanefrank
Title:Among the Wicked: A Kate Burkholder Novel
Authors:Linda Castillo (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2017), 352 pages
Tags:Amish, Kate Burkholder, cops, child abuse, crime, cult, audio book

Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo

Description
Chief of Police Kate Burkholder goes undercover as a widow in a reclusive Amish settlement in upstate New York to investigate the death of a young girl. As she unearths a world built on secrets and a series of shocking crimes, Kate finds herself trapped and fighting for her life.

I like Kate and her boyfriend Tomasetti and learning more about the Amish life, which is part of all the books in this series. But I didn’t think Kate had convincing reasons for going undercover and then staying in the situation when it was obviously dangerous and risky. It makes me lose believability and some interest in the story. Castillo did write a few very suspenseful scenes that completely drew me in, though, which is one of the reasons I come back to this series. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 11, 2018 |
As always- Linda Castillo pulls it off again- yanks you back into Kate's world from the start and you can't put it down. This was interesting in that it was more Kate "involved". Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. Another great book in the Kate Burkholder series. ( )
  Thelmajean | Jun 17, 2018 |
I’ve been on a bit of a Linda Castillo run this year and have enjoyed every minute of it. This is the 8th in the Kate Burkholder series that finds Kate going back to her roots and going undercover in an Amish community. One wouldn’t think that’d be a dangerous assignment but one would be wrong. At times I did question Kate’s sanity as she found herself in some precarious situations, I think she must have used up most of her nine lives by now.
This series has the right amount for me; right amount of mystery, right amount of romance. I love reading of her and John’s relationship of two damaged souls finding each other and there still are enough surprises in this series to keep me guessing.
A 4 1/2 for me! ( )
  maggie1961 | Oct 29, 2017 |
A gritty cozy mystery involving the Amish in upstate New York. ( )
  seitherin | Jul 17, 2017 |

"Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called upon by the sheriff's department in rural, upstate New York to assist on a developing situation that involves a reclusive Amish settlement and the death of a young girl. Unable to penetrate the wall of silence between the Amish and "English" communities, the sheriff asks Kate to travel to New York, pose as an Amish woman, and infiltrate the community. Kate's long time love interest, State Agent John Tomasetti, is dead set against her taking on such an unorthodox assignment, knowing she'll have limited communication - and even less in the way of backup. But Kate can't turn her back, especially when the rumor mill boils with disturbing accounts of children in danger. She travels to New York where she's briefed and assumes her new identity as a lone widow seeking a new life. Kate infiltrates the community and goes deep under cover. In the coming days, she unearths a world built on secrets, a series of shocking crimes, and herself, alone... trapped in a fight for her life"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,658,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible