THE HUNTERS: MONSTER HUNTING 101 by Richard…

THE HUNTERS: MONSTER HUNTING 101

by Richard Bamberg

The Hunters: Monster Hunting 101 hit every mark for a great read!

In many books I've read lately I've been disappointed with the amount of "filler" that adds nothing to the storyline in between peaks of interest. Happily this was not the case in The Hunters: Monster Hunting 101! Author Richard Bamberg has an intriguing start to the story and skillfully keeps the pace going until the books end.

Main character, Jesse, hasn't heard from Hiigh School sweetheart, Gail, in years but goes to her aid after she calls asking for help but gives no details. Minutes after his arrival Jesse starts on the job training (for a job he didn't apply for) fighting preternatural beings he didn't even know existed. Between the action filled battles Bamberg still makes it hard to put the book down adroitly using the time they make preparations for what they must face next, Gail, born into a long line of Hunters, gives Jesse a crash course in Monster Hunting 101. She schools Jesse in the reality of ghouls, werewolves and ghosts versus the Hollywood version, with their lives on the line Jesse proves to be a quick study. As an Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan, he shows he is able to keep his head in the heart of battle and thankfully is more than qualified when it comes to the use of weapons. Bamberg's deft writing was well balanced overall with the perfect amount and timing of humor, romance (sexual tension may be more apt wording) and predominantly for his interactions between the Hunters and monsters and the characterization of each. The monsters weren't over-the-top, nearly indestructible creatures and the Hunters didn't possess unrealistic abilities or exhibit unbelievable physical skill as is needed to say take on a horde of creatures all at once. Don't get me wrong "The Hunters" is nowhere near as wholesome and simplistic as Scooby Doo and the Mystery Gang but nor is it overly fantastical and gory as say Night of the Living Dead.

I truly hope this will be the first book in a series, the emotional investment for Jesse and Gail has only heightened with the books ending!!

If the 5 star rating I gave was not recommendation enough perhaps I can illustrate it better with this. The morning after I started reading I was sent to the ER and upon being told I was to be admitted the first thing I asked was for someone to get my iPad from home to continue reading the book. Under normal circumstances no doubt I would've finished the book in two days!! ( )
  mtchrista | Apr 23, 2017 |
First I would like to thank Richard Bamberg for providing me a free copy of The Hunters: Monster Hunting 101 for an honest review.

My first novel by Richard Bamberg and I was really entertained from page one! This one earned a haunting 5 stars from me! I would be definitely reading more of this authors’ books in the future.

This book is about Hunters. Hunters hunting for ghouls, werewolves, ghosts and other paranormal entities. It’s got everything I like from humour, action, romance, paranormal to horror. I loved the interaction between the main characters, Jesse and Gail. And I am quite curious to know if there’s going to be a book 2. Wow…and the ending…I wanted more!

If you like action, horror and paranormal, this one is definitely for you! ( )
  marizavw | Jan 4, 2016 |
I loved this book and cant wait to read more of your books. thanx for letting me read it!! amazing!! :) ( )
  jennifferhope | Dec 18, 2015 |
The Hunters: Monster Hunting 101

If you like the TV show Supernatural, chances are good you’ll like this too.

Jesse is a college student studying for an exam. It’s the next phase of his life after getting out of the Army with fresh memories of Afghanistan.

He leaves the leftover pizza on the coffee table when he gets a call from Gail Drexler. She was the girl he was in love with before she and her family suddenly left town and he went into the military. When he meets her again, she’s still as beautiful and sexy as he remembered and the chemistry between them snaps tight even after so many years.

Gail ignores the tension between them to explain that she comes from a family of hunters, people who kill the things that go bump in the night. Ghouls, werewolves, and ghosts are her expertise, and she’s got the guns, the special ammo, and the scars to prove it. She calls Jesse to do something important - kill her.

Jesse refuses and the fun begins.

I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review. I liked the characters. Gail is strong, practical and decisive. A “shoot first, ask questions later” kind of person. She lives her life knowing that being a hunter means her chances of living to old age are slim to none. She likes her bourbon neat and her coffee hot. She trusts no one but Jesse.

Jesse thinks he’s gone crazy when Gail abruptly introduces him to her world, but he decides that no matter what, he needs to be there for Gail. The sexual tension is tough on him, but he knows they will work it out in time. In the meantime, he follows her lead and supports her when he can, using all the skills the military taught him to keep them both safe. He knows his life will never be the same.

The story line revolves around a Native American artifact with special properties. An item Gail gets to experience the effects of, first hand.

If you’re a fan of fast paced action, a gun enthusiast or a student on how to dispatch supernatural bad guys, this is the book for you. ( )
1 vote Kai45 | Dec 6, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible