Henry's grote liefde by P. G. Wodehouse

Henry's grote liefde (original 1967; edition 1969)

by P. G. Wodehouse (Author)

Member:divinenanny
Title:Henry's grote liefde
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse (Author)
Info:Spectrum (1969), Utrecht, Paperback, 187p.
Collections:Your library, To read, Buy and Get 2011, Unread, Readable
Tags:humor, england, fiction

Company for Henry by P. G. Wodehouse (1967)

English (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (2)
A pleasant tale, near the end of PGW's output, of broke but landed gentry off-loading the family pile on a handy American millionaire while the niece dispenses with an unsatisfactory fiance and finds her true soul mate. The book is a good example of Plum's recycling skills, of plots, people and other tit-bits. Characters we have met before include Algy Martyn, a member of the Drones (The Little Warrior) and schoolfriend of thriller writer Thomas "Bill" Hardy, our hero, Lionel P Green, handsome but effete interior decorator, also at school with Algy and Bill and affianced to Jane Martyn, our heroine, and Orlo Tarvin, Lionel's decorator partner. The last two are straight out of Money in the Bank, in which Lionel has exactly the same role vis-a-vis the heroine and thriller writer (another one!) hero, who, again, was a contemporary at school. There is a butler named Ferris who seems familiar and the impecunious house owner's wine merchants, whose efforts to have a long overdue bill paid are central to the plot, are Duff and Trotter, previously known (Quick Service, Money in the Bank) as purveyors of London's premiere ham and pork pies.

The story coasts agreeably along until everyone has got what he or she wants - all except Lionel, but I am unconvinced that he really wanted the girl (or, indeed, any girl) in the first place. All in all, not bad for an 82 year old.

An unusual pun caught my eye. I don't think of PGW as a great punner and, although there are plenty of literary quotes and allusions around, I can't remember a reference to one of his contemporaries. On p.169 of my Penguin edition we have the following: '......there's a portrait of him in the picture gallery and he looks like Nero Wolfe'. 'Stout?' 'Bulging. I'm surprised he....'

The book was first published in the USA as The Purloined Paperweight. ( )
1 vote abbottthomas | Mar 17, 2011 |
UK title 'Company for Henry', US title 'The Purloined Paperweight'

A zany story of eccentric characters and humorous plot twists about one man's obsession with paperweights.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:55 -0400)

"Everyone in 'Company for Henry' wants to escape from something. Hard-up Henry Paradene would like to unload his hideous country house on his millionaire American cousin, J. Wendell Stickney. Wendell wishes he could be rid of his embarrasing aunt Kelly, while Kelly wants to escape her financial dependence on Wendell. Henry's niece, Jane, needs to part from her glamorous but ghastly fiance, Lionel, while Bill Hardy, who falls for Jane, needs no convincing to abandon the bachelor state. Jane's brother Algy, meanwhile, spends his time thinking up dodgy schemes to lift himself out of poverty. Everything ends happily ever after for most of them, but only when they have been put through the hoops of a classic Wodehouse plot"--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible