Outfoxed: An Andy Carpenter Mystery (An Andy…

Outfoxed: An Andy Carpenter Mystery (An Andy Carpenter Novel)

by David Rosenfelt

Series: Andy Carpenter (14)

To Read (308)

Another homerun from Rosenfelt. Carpenter has his hands full trying to keep the mob away while trying to figure out what the mob is up to in the computer world. Since he has little techno-knowledge, he has to rely on Sam and others on his team to solve the mystery.

Loved his conversation in the book about the St. Louis Cardinals! Very fun! ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
I've read or listened to all the Andy Carpenter mysteries, and I have the feeling Andy's getting a bit long in the tooth. By now, his humor is fairly predictable; I often know what how he will respond before he says it. Nevertheless, this is a good mystery, and I didn't guess who the villain was until near the end, at about the time Andy did. His handling of this insight was a bit out of character, and the denouement was convenient but unnecessarily violent.

It'll probably be a while until I hanker to read the next one. I think it's time the series developed a new twist; a deviation from the usual template, perhaps a new character. I thought that adopting Ricky was likely to take things in a new direction, but his wife and son had only bit parts in this story.

Grover Gardner does his usual masterful narration. He could probably read these half asleep, but I hope he never stops. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
Andy Carpenter is a millionaire lawyer who finds himself defending a client already serving time for corporate embezzlement; and who now accused of a double homicide. There is an element of computer tech involved which the author neatly sidesteps getting into by having the protag be technically challenged; and by having the tech explained away as a company secret. There is also a Mob factor; and a modest body count. It's a straight forward cozy; and while readers will probably figure it out a couple of chapters in, it's still fun. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
David Rosenfelt has written a number of Andy Carpenter novels all also involving a dog in some way. Though I would have preferred more involvement of the dog in this novel, I still found it quite interesting and a fast, easy, enjoyable read. In this book, Andy defended a prisoner who escaped from prison with a dog, Boomer, with whom he had been working. Andy and his friend Willie started a program to rescue dogs and place them with good owners, using the prisoners as helpers in this endeavor. In this case, Andy thought the prisoner, Brian Atkins, in jail for defrauding his company and soon to be released, would be a good match with Boomer. About the time Brian escapes, his wife and partner are murdered, making Brian the most obvious culprit in this crime. Andy, a lawyer by trade, sets about defending Brian, hoping to have him found innocent. This story moved along at a fairly good clip and maintained my interest from the start. As he mounted Brian’s defense, Andy uncovered a myriad of intrigue and mystery surrounding the deaths of the two victims. I found the way Andy moved through the various clues he uncovered as he worked on this defense quite interesting to read and follow. The author has done a great job developing Andy as well as all the other characters and has worked through a pretty solid, interesting plot. I have not read any of the other books in the series, yet the author gave me just enough information to bring me up to speed and not to overwhelm me with back story, while keeping my interest piqued. This is a fairly good mystery, and, though following many of the age old familiar steps as the lot develops, still managed to become something new and interesting—a testament to the author’s writing ability as well as to his creativity. After reading this book, I am going to look for others in this series and by the author. Anyone who enjoys a light but still somewhat complex story/mystery will definitely enjoy this. As I said, the only thing that would have made it more enjoyable for me would to have had Boomer play a bigger role. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Aug 9, 2016 |
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press (Minotaur) and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Nice Cover.

Talented David Rosenfelt returns following Who Let the Dog Out (2015) with the fun-loving Andy Carpenter Series #14 OUTFOXED —an entertaining legal thriller whodunit, mixed with mystery, suspense, dogs, french fries, football, sports, organized crime, and lots of wit!

Andy Carpenter, is a defense attorney who has not been taking on any new clients, running the Tara Foundation, a dog rescue group in Haledon, New Jersey with his partner Willie. Andy is also the spreader of human and canine happiness everywhere, and loves his life (he does not miss the courtroom). However, little does he know, he will soon be returning.

Andy also heads up a program called Prison Pals, rescue dogs in need of training and socialization into prisons to be trained by inmates. A win-win; the dogs get needed training and loving care, and the prisoners get the chance to interact and bond with some really great dogs.

Brian Atkins, is currently one of the inmates working in the program, and also a client. His lawyer had been Nathan Cantwell, a legend in NJ legal circles for sixty years. He just died at the age of 87 and now Brian is Andy's client. He was only planning on helping him with his parole and release.

Brian has served three years of a five-year term after being convicted of embezzlement and fraud, the victim being the software company that he co-founded.

In a minimum security area of East Jersey state Prison, he would be up for parole in four months. He was working with an adorable fox terrier named Boomer. Brian loves Boomer, so much that Brian--Andy has learned, from Pete, captain of the police department---Brian has escaped prison with Boomer.

Why would Brian escape now, when he is so close to getting out of prison? To make matters worse, he is accused of murdering two people: his wife, Denise (soon to be ex) and ex-partner, (Gerry).

He was in jail originally for a white collar crime (his own company, Starlight Systems Technology Company) and Andy cannot even consider Brian as a murderer. Even after paying back the embezzled money and a fine, Brian is a wealthy man. A comfortable life awaited him on the outside. The idea he would escape made no sense.

Now, Andy will have to put his lawyer hat on, once again to help Brian. Brian says he did not kill the two. He still says he is innocent of the original charges. Is he being set up? If so, why and how?

In the meantime, on the home front, Andy is happily married to Laurie (former cop) and they have adopted Ricky, in the third grade. Ricky is caught discussing point spreads (sports betting), he has learned from his dad. Some fun stories here. Also we get to catch up with Tara (his best Golden Retriever and Sebastian.

With a GPS tracker in Boomer’s collar they were found; however, now Andy has to dig deep, putting he and his family in danger trying to track down the long list of criminals and thugs involved in this complex conspiracy.

When they find out an organized dangerous crime family and the mob are involved, things get complicated. From Wall Street, an affair, gangsters, blackmail, thugs, betting, technology to motivations for murder—was Brian being framed? As the bodies pile up, confronting dangerous killers is not something Andy had in mind for his bucket list

From Andy’s fun team, and cast of colorful characters: Marcus (PI-tank) Willie (marital arts expert), Sam (Hacker), Enda (secretary), Laurie (wife, ex-cop) and his tenacity--will they solve the whodunit to clear Brian and be reunited with his pal, Boomer?

As always, an entertaining tale! If you are looking for a twisty intense legal thriller, with suspense, mystery, with loads of personality and wit, an ideal series. This installment does not focus on the dog portion, as much as the whodunit crime mystery suspense; however, a well-developed absorbing suspense.

Love this series - Andy Carpenter fans will devour! Looking forward the upcoming holiday book Twelve Days of Christmas (Andy Carpenter Mystery).

JDCMustReadBooks ( )
  JudithDCollins | Jul 16, 2016 |

David Rosenfeltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Defense lawyer Andy Carpenter spends as much time as he can working on his true passion, the Tara Foundation, the dog rescue organization he runs. Lately, Andy has been especially involved in a county prison program where inmates help train dogs the Tara Foundation has rescued to make them more adoptable, benefiting both the dogs and the prisoners. One of the prisoners Andy has been working with is Brian Atkins, who has 18 months left on a 5-year term for fraud. Brian has been helping to train Boomer, an adorable fox terrier the Tara Foundation rescued from a neglectful owner. Brian and Boomer are clearly a terrific match. In fact, Andy hopes that Brian will adopt Boomer himself, once his sentence is up. But one day, Andy arrives at the prison to discover that Brian has used Boomer to make an ingenious escape, and man and dog are both in the wind. The next day, the man on whose testimony Brian was convicted is found murdered. Brian is caught and arrested for the crime, though he forcefully protests his innocence. Suddenly, Andy finds himself with a new client in Brian and a new dog in Boomer. And as he starts to dig deeper into the murder and the events leading up to it, Andy realizes he might be putting them all in far more danger than anyone had realized"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,534,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible