Glory over Everything by Kathleen Grissom

Glory over Everything (edition 2017)

by Kathleen Grissom (Author)

Member:janimar
Title:Glory over Everything
Authors:Kathleen Grissom (Author)
Info:Touchstone (2017), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Glory over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Borrowed from Cliff Cave Library ( )
  kylessister | May 14, 2019 |
I loved this novel just like I loved "The Kitchen House".I did not want the book to end as I did not want to say goodbye to James, a flawed but deep character who must learn to live with being both black and white.His courage over bigotry is rewarding I loved Pan, the young servant boy stolen and sold into slavery. All the characters are richly developed. The period detail of the southern way of life is very good and the dramatic suspense and action in this novel continues to the end of this great book. ( )
  Smits | May 6, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this continuation of The Kitchen House! The story follows Jamie Pyke, beginning in Philadelphia, and as he travels south to rescue Pan, a young boy whose father entrusted Jamie with his care. Exciting story, beautifully written. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I loved the Kitchen House so I had high expectations for the follow-up. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The characters were not developed and the plot was barely there. I kept waiting for something to pull me in but it just never happened. I finished the book but do not recommend it! ( )
  TracyRitter | Oct 16, 2018 |
This sequel to Kitchen House does not have its authenticity. We follow Belle’s son, Jamie as he negotiates the world as a white man though he’s part black. In the end he seems to be resolving his place in the world accepting two black children along with his white-looking natural child. Some of the story is rather unbelievable and too lucky. ( )
  bereanna | Sep 22, 2018 |
I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person now I was free. There was such a glory over everything. The sun came up like gold through the trees, and I felt like I was in heaven. -Harriet Tubman
To my husband, Charles, for his unfailing support.
Robert's familiar rap on the door came as I was studying a miniature portrait of myself.

Jamie Pyke son of the master of Tall Oaks plantation and his kitchen slave, is passing as a wealthy white aristocrat in Philadelphia. His secret identity is threatened, putting his life in grave danger when he is compelled by a promise to travel back to the South to rescue a beloved boy servant named Pan who has been kidnapped and sold into slavery. The innocent child seems unlikely to survive life in the quarters but he finds an ally in the compassionate nurse, Sukey, who protects him and hatches a plan to help him escape through the Underground Railroad. Jamie locates Pan and Sukey just as the ruthless slave hunters are closing in on him. Together, the three make a run for freedom, but one of them will not survive. (ARC)

"The author of the New York Times bestseller and beloved book club favorite The Kitchen House continues the story of Jamie Pyke, son of both a slave and master of Tall Oakes, whose deadly secret compels him to take a treacherous journey through the Underground Railroad. Published in 2010, The Kitchen House became a grassroots bestseller. Fans connected so deeply to the book's characters that the author, Kathleen Grissom, found herself being asked over and over "what happens next?" The wait is finally over. This new, stand-alone novel opens in 1830, and Jamie, who fled from the Virginian plantation he once called home, is passing in Philadelphia society as a wealthy white silversmith. After many years of striving, Jamie has achieved acclaim and security, only to discover that his aristocratic lover Caroline is pregnant. Before he can reveal his real identity to her, he learns that his beloved servant Pan has been captured and sold into slavery in the South. Pan's father, to whom Jamie owes a great debt, pleads for Jamie's help, and Jamie agrees, knowing the journey will take him perilously close to Tall Oakes and the ruthless slave hunter who is still searching for him. Meanwhile, Caroline's father learns and exposes Jamie's secret, and Jamie loses his home, his business, and finally Caroline. Heartbroken and with nothing to lose, Jamie embarks on a trip to a North Carolina plantation where Pan is being held with a former Tall Oakes slave named Sukey, who is intent on getting Pan to the Underground Railroad. Soon the three of them are running through the Great Dismal Swamp, the notoriously deadly hiding place for escaped slaves. Though they have help from those in the Underground Railroad, not all of them will make it out alive"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,771,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible