The History Boys: The Film by Alan Bennett

The History Boys: The Film (2006)

by Alan Bennett, Nicholas Hytner

2007 (1) 21st century (2) British (3) British literature (3) cinema (1) diary (2) drama (9) education (3) England (3) fiction (4) film (13) film script (2) gay (2) history (2) knowledge (1) non-fiction (2) novel (1) play (2) plays (2) poetry (1) queer (1) school (2) schools (2) screenplay (13) script (2) signed (2) theatre (7) to-read (1) used (1) Yorkshire (2)

1.Main characters
Mr.Hector Mr.Irwin MrsLintott Headmaster
Posner , Dakin, Akhtar, Crowther, Lockwood, Rudge, Scripps, Timms, Fiona, Wilks

2.Write the summary of the book.
This story is similar with "Japanese TV show, Dragon Zakura".
The 8 peoples wants to go to the Oxford and Cambridge. Also Headmaster wants them go to Oxford and Cambridge.
But Mr Hector thinks they doesn't need to go Oxbridge. And his class is always being sillyness.
So Headmaster bring new teacher Mr. Irwin from Oxford.
New teacher is clever. So, headmaster changed timetable even it must not be changed.

3.Write your feelings about the book in details.
Every era, people hopes go to great University. This story tells us straggle of boys to go to Great University. ( )
  JuriYamamoto | Sep 20, 2009 |
I saw the film version of The History Boys and I fell in love with it. With an exam of my own looming , I felt like revisiting this material again. Both of the "History Boys" books (for the film and for the play) have lovely "extras" in them--The History Boys: The Film contains an introduction by director (of both the play and the film) Nicholas Hytner, a brief filming diary from Alan Bennett, and both behind-the-scenes and still photos from the movie, as well as the shooting script (including several scenes which were edited out of the final released film). The History Boys: A Play includes, along with the original play itself, an introduction by Alan Bennett in which he recounts his own memories of A-levels, sitting entrance exams, and going to Oxford. The dialogue and the characters in The History Boys are simply delightful and the commentary on education and on the effect teaching has on teachers is, I think, both brilliant and understated. I welcomed the opportunity to read both the play and the shooting script and compare them to the preserved end-product in the film. It's fascinating to see what was changed from play to film and what bits ultimately got left out (or edited out) from the script and what bits from the play wound up back into the film despite not being in the shooting script. Ultimately, I think I like better both the film's slightly more sympathetic portrayal of Irwin, whose position as a teacher just barely older than his students I find very easy to empathize with (though the similarities, for the most part, end there), and the subtlety that comes with the film's (necessary?) removal of most of the asides to the audience (though I can imagine that on-stage and think it likely works well there).
1 vote lycomayflower | Jan 21, 2009 |
The film script of a first-rate play by a first-rate author, one of Britain's best. ( )
  edwin.gleaves | Jan 26, 2007 |
The screenplay by Alan Bennett based on his award-winning play. This is a mesmerizing meditation on the meaning of education, history and life. Set in a boys' school in northern England in the early 1980's Bennet creates characters that share wonderfully witty dialogue as they attempt to learn about life, love and themselves; all whilst studiously preparing for the entrance exams and interviews for admittance to Oxford & Cambridge. The screenplay stands on its own and is a wonderful complement to the film (which bears repeated viewings). Most fascinating is the way the screenplay was edited for the final film production. ( )
  jwhenderson | Dec 24, 2006 |

Alan Bennettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hytner, Nicholasmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Reference guide/companion to

[None]
[None]
The History Boys is the second film that Alan Bennett and I have made together.

Introduction, by Nicholas Hytner.
14 July 2005 Nick H. picks me up at 8.45 and by a roundabout route the bombed bus in Tavistock Place has made necessary, we go painfully through the traffic-choked streets down to the National and the first reading of the film script of The History Boys.

Film diary, by Alan Bennett.
HECTOR
But remember, open quotation marks, 'All knowledge is precious whether or not it serves the slightest human use,' close quotation marks.
IRWIN
What's truth got to do with it?
What's truth got to do with anything?
MRS LINTOTT
I'll tell you why. It's because history isn't such a frolic for women as it is for men. Why should it be? They never get round the conference table. In 1919, for instance, they just arranged the flowers and then gracefully retired. History is a commentary on the various and continuing incapabilities of men. What is history? History is women following behind with the bucket.
RUDGE
How do I define history? It's just one fucking thing after another.

Now a major motion picture from Fox Searchlight Pictures, The History Boys: The Film contains Alan Bennett's diary of the filming, the shooting script, and an introduction by director Nicholas Hytner, as well as an extensive plate section that includes a look behind the scenes and stills from the film.

An unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form (or senior) boys in a British boys' school are, as such boys will be, in pursuit of sex, sport, and a place at a good university, generally in that order. In all their efforts, they are helped and hindered, enlightened and bemused, by a maverick English teacher who seeks to broaden their horizons in sometimes undefined ways, and a young history teacher who questions the methods, as well as the aim, of their schooling. In The History Boys, Alan Bennett evokes the special period and place that the sixth form represents in an English boy's life. In doing so, he raises not only universal questions about the nature of history and how it is taught but also questions about the purpose of education today.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 06 Dec 2015 13:56:16 -0500)

"An unruly bunch of bright, funny sixth-form boys in pursuit of sex, sport and a place at university. A maverick English teacher at odds with the young and shrewd supply teacher; a headmaster obsessed with results; a History teacher who thinks he's a fool. Staffroom rivalry and the anarchy of adolescence provoke insistent questions about History and how you teach it; about education and its purpose." "The History Boys, the screenplay, contains Alan Bennett's diary of the filming, the shooting script and an Introduction by director Nicholas Hytner, as well as an extensive plate section showing stills from the film and behind the scenes."--BOOK JACKET.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,436,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible