Death in Breslau by Marek Krajewski

Death in Breslau (1999)

by Marek Krajewski

Series: Eberhard Mock (1)

English (9)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (12)
The Mock series goes beyond noir into crime-gothic. Europe of old was good for that. Kinky aristocrats. Dinky servants. Hinky women. Ancient curses. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
This book was a trip off the beaten track, to a world that no longer exists. I found the plot to be engaging, especially the progressive revelation of the dark side of Criminal Counsellor Mock. The heart of the plot was barely plausible, but that was compensated for by the rich word portrait of 1930s Breslau. ( )
  oparaxenos | Nov 27, 2015 |
I will start off my review by stating that I only very rarely dip into crime Noir novels so please do not accept my thoughts as being those of a seasoned reader of the genre. This is a very dark, brooding type of read. On a presentation/emotional level, it is kind of a strange read. The emotions of the characters - and their actions - are very emphatic in expression. There is a lot of brute force, angry shouting and exaggerated gesturing going on in this story. The very unstable political time period is pronounced here, as is the sweltering hot summer the story take place in. For me, this story had more of a pulp crime feel to it, given that the police - and the Gestapo - were prone to doing their own things and resorting to rather interesting interrogation strategies that really had me squirming uncomfortably in my chair. Looking at the mystery/crime aspect of the story, I do have to say that Krajewski did a fine job with the details and the reveal, but I still cannot get past the rather stilted impression I have of the characters and the story as a whole. This could be due, in part, to the translation.... it just had an overall jarring feeling to it that made it difficult for me to become absorbed in the story. From a purely psychological perspective, one could analyze this story for years and still only scratch the surface of all the possible meanings embedded in it. Maybe that is part of the problem for me: too much all jumbled up in this story, making it difficult for me to extract the substance from the garble.

Overall, definitely a different read for me and intriguing enough that I will consider reading the second book in the Inspector Eberhard Mock Investigation series. ( )
  lkernagh | Sep 6, 2015 |
The book is set in Breslau a pre-WW2 town in Germany in 1933, subsequently Polish post-war.

In a nutshell, a triple murder, double rape has occurred and Mock the policeman or Kriminaldirektor is tasked with solving the case. Most of the narrative takes place during 1933, with the concluding passage wrapping things up in 1951.

I’m undecided as to my feelings about the book overall. Clichés such as un-put-down-able or page-turner definitely don’t apply in this instance. Occasionally you read a book that instead of leaving at home in the morning, you take it to work in the car, you read a few pages when you park, then pop it in your desk drawer ready to catch a chapter at lunchtime......hmmm, not this time.

I suppose my main reaction is ambivalence, I didn’t feel any empathy or connection to Mock or his underling Anwaldt. I wasn’t outraged by the crimes in the beginning and I wasn’t that fussed by the outcome at the end.

Krajewski was skilled at evoking the mood of pre-war Germany and the menace felt by those who though part of the establishment, weren’t part of the growing Brown-shirted, Gestapo loving, Hitlerite factions. Loyalties, alliances and confidences were undertaken with caution, a fact which ratcheted the tension in progressing the investigation into the crimes.

That alone made the book a worthwhile read, though in my opinion the whole raison d’être for the crimes struck me as wholly implausible.

Decide in haste and repent at leisure. I can’t actually recall why I bought this book, or the following two Krajewski Breslau/Mock that follow, but whilst I will read the second and third titles eventually; had I only bought the first, I wouldn’t be rushing to the shops for numbers two and three.

I have some Philip Kerr/Bernie Gunther pre-war Berlin books that I’m looking forward to a lot more. I wouldn’t put anyone off from reading this, but neither would I rush to recommend it either........3 from 5 probably, 2 would be too harsh.
http://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/marek-krajewski-death-in-breslau.html ( )
  col2910 | Jun 10, 2013 |
A dark and predatory thriller, that lurches through 1930s underworld Poland; you will either love it or hate it. It is dark and sinister it has elements of fantasy and strangeness, it has moments of honesty and truth and times when it is farcical. There is something clumsy about the novel, which may be the translation, or may not be; I had to re-read many passages to be sure what was actually going on. However, the novel has an atmosphere you can touch; the suffocating heat of summer in southern Poland will envelope you as you read. ( )
  Tifi | Feb 12, 2011 |

Marek Krajewskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parisi, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The July heat was unbearable.

The mutilated bodies of a young woman and her maid are found dead on a train. Scorpions writhe in their slashed stomachs - a horrifying image that becomes crucial to the investigation. Inspector Eberhard Mock is called in to deal with the case, and is assigned as assistant, Herbert Anwaldt, an orphan.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,477,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible