The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia…

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

by Julia Navarro

English (12)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
In this story we follow an investigation of the art crimes department in Italy, who are studying the case of the 'Sindone', the shroud of Christ. Throughout history the Sindone has often been threatened; it is now stored in Turin, where strange fires and accidents keep happening, involving men who have no tongue and no fingerprints. Alongside the story of the investigation we are given a secondary story, telling the history of the Sindone.
It turns out that two competing groups are after the Sindone, and the investigative team ends up in the middle of an ancient conflict, with disastrous results.

I enjoyed the historical parts and thought they formed a nice background to the investigation. The investigation itself also keeps you on the edge of your seat. I did guess the involvement of the different parties at quite an early stage in the book, but I still enjoyed following the investigation.
One thing I found annoying is that Navarro feels a need to give lengthy explanations in a way that breaks up the story. Often she lets the investigators tell parts of the history to each other, even if the characters both know the story already - this gives the strange effect that obviously the characters are only having that conversation for the sake of the reader. It feels very awkward and also slows the story down.
I also found the ending somewhat annoying - nothing gets resolved, and there is no real 'wrapping up'. It seems like nothing has changed and the conflict will simply go on forever, with all the investigative work having been useless. I guess that is how it works sometimes, but it left me dissatisfied. ( )
  Britt84 | May 22, 2016 |
A mutilated body is found in Turin Cathedral, the home of the Shroud of Turin and the department of Art theft is called in, the body has no tongue, just like a previous attempted theft and as the unit start investigating they start uncovering a multi-layered, many people conspiracy. Between the art investigation unit and a curious journalist the story unravells and Navarro builds a convincing story.

And yes I had some problems with it, not with the alternating story , that was interesting but with the cast of characters, they didn't come across as distinct enough some of the time and I found myself wondering who it was that I was dealing with at that time. Still it kept me up and guessing what was going on.

I do want to read more by this author I think it's an interesting idea and much better written than the Da Vinci Code. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 16, 2012 |
This is another one of those that I've tried to read at least twice. The jubject is interesting so I'll give it another try someday.
  brian_irons | Nov 12, 2011 |
i listened to this and it didn't capture my audio attention. the reader was good. ( )
  mahallett | Dec 5, 2010 |
I rather enjoyed reading this thriller. I find the Shroud of Turin to be a fascinating object. Although this book dosn't really answer the question of the veracity of the shroud, it is interesting to follow a story surrounding the shroud and how there might be some groups who a lot of effort into either desiring or to protecting the shroud.

There are several threads to the story. The main one is the detective effort of Marc Valoni and his Police Art Theft group in Italy to solve the mystery of the fire in the Torino Cathedral. The second is the hitorical provenance of the Shroud following its early arrival in Edessa (now Urfa) into the mixed period of the Middle Ages now in France and then Italy. The third narrative stream is that of Urfa Christians who believe the shroud was improperly taken from them and would like it back. The fourth stream is that of its protectors and their possible Knights Templar association. It is noteworthy that the author, Julia Navarro, attempts to get into the psychology of the participants in the first three groups, but lets the fourth group of actors play out from a distance. Perhaps the Catholic church itself is a fifth stratum.

We do get to see a fair amount of questinable ehtics by some of the players in the novel, but do not fully get inside the religous feeling that promotes people to do many questionable acts on the Shroud's behalf. ( )
  vpfluke | May 19, 2010 |

Julia Navarroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurley, AndrewTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are other worlds, but they are in this one.

--Paul Éluard
Original title: La Hermandad de la Sábana Santa

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440243025, Mass Market Paperback)

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is the explosive international bestseller that mixes fact and fiction to tell the riveting story of one of the world’s most controversial relics—the Holy Shroud of Turin—and the desperate race to save it from those who will stop at nothing to possess its legendary power....

A fire at the Turin cathedral and the discovery of a mutilated corpse are the latest in a disturbing series of events surrounding the mysterious cloth millions believe to be the authentic burial shroud of Jesus Christ. Those who dare to investigate will be caught in the cross fire of an ancient conflict forged by mortal sacrifice, assassination, and secret societies tied to the shadowy Knights Templar.

Spanning centuries and continents, from the storm-rent skies over Calvary, through the intrigue and treachery of Byzantium and the Crusades, to the modern-day citadels of Istanbul, New York, London, Paris, and Rome, The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud races to a chilling climax in the labyrinths beneath Turin, where astounding truths will be exposed: about the history of a faith, the passions of man, and proof of the most powerful miracle of all….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

"A fire at the Cathedral of Turin and the discovery of a strangely mutilated body attract the attention of Italy's special Art Crimes Department. For the fire is only the latest in a troubling series of arsons and break-ins at the cathedral, which houses what millions believe to be the authentic burial shroud of Jesus Christ." "A cop as well as an art historian, department chief Marco Valoni leads a crack team of investigators in a race to solve a crime he's certain is about to shock the world. Someone is planning to steal the Holy Shroud, and Valoni's only suspect - a mystery man who bears the same scars as the unidentified corpse - is currently serving out a sentence in a Turin prison." "Following a trail that stretches from the humble meeting places of the earliest Christian communities to the highest councils of the Vatican and the boardrooms that rule the world, Valoni and his associates will find themselves in the cross fire of an ancient conflict forged by mortal sacrifice, assassination, and secret societies with ties to the shadowy legend of the Knights Templars."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,788,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible