The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia…

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

by Julia Navarro

Recently added byMonica91280, FirstLutheranChurch, Anna-Marie, private library, LauraLaLunga, masland

English (11)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
A mutilated body is found in Turin Cathedral, the home of the Shroud of Turin and the department of Art theft is called in, the body has no tongue, just like a previous attempted theft and as the unit start investigating they start uncovering a multi-layered, many people conspiracy. Between the art investigation unit and a curious journalist the story unravells and Navarro builds a convincing story.

And yes I had some problems with it, not with the alternating story , that was interesting but with the cast of characters, they didn't come across as distinct enough some of the time and I found myself wondering who it was that I was dealing with at that time. Still it kept me up and guessing what was going on.

I do want to read more by this author I think it's an interesting idea and much better written than the Da Vinci Code. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 16, 2012 |
This is another one of those that I've tried to read at least twice. The jubject is interesting so I'll give it another try someday.
  brian_irons | Nov 12, 2011 |
i listened to this and it didn't capture my audio attention. the reader was good. ( )
  mahallett | Dec 5, 2010 |
I rather enjoyed reading this thriller. I find the Shroud of Turin to be a fascinating object. Although this book dosn't really answer the question of the veracity of the shroud, it is interesting to follow a story surrounding the shroud and how there might be some groups who a lot of effort into either desiring or to protecting the shroud.

There are several threads to the story. The main one is the detective effort of Marc Valoni and his Police Art Theft group in Italy to solve the mystery of the fire in the Torino Cathedral. The second is the hitorical provenance of the Shroud following its early arrival in Edessa (now Urfa) into the mixed period of the Middle Ages now in France and then Italy. The third narrative stream is that of Urfa Christians who believe the shroud was improperly taken from them and would like it back. The fourth stream is that of its protectors and their possible Knights Templar association. It is noteworthy that the author, Julia Navarro, attempts to get into the psychology of the participants in the first three groups, but lets the fourth group of actors play out from a distance. Perhaps the Catholic church itself is a fifth stratum.

We do get to see a fair amount of questinable ehtics by some of the players in the novel, but do not fully get inside the religous feeling that promotes people to do many questionable acts on the Shroud's behalf. ( )
  vpfluke | May 19, 2010 |
I won't say I didn't like The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud. But I didn't love it either. It was just okay.

The Brotherhood the Holy Shroud follows the history of the Shroud of Turin. The story moves back and forth through time periods giving you pieces of the puzzle at a time. It was the medival story line of the shroud that held the majority of my attention, as I have a fondness of period fiction involving relics or historical figures. There wasn't much of any thriller or suspense element. I never found myself on the edge of my seat or tearing through the pages to find the outcome. The modern day art crimes division investigating the attempted thieft of the shroud of mediocre at best. Missing completely obivious lines of reasoning until their was no other possible reasoning left. However their were some characters that I enjoyed following. Wouldn't read it again or really recommend the book but still enjoyed it. ( )
  deep220 | Jan 6, 2010 |

Julia Navarroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurley, AndrewTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are other worlds, but they are in this one.

--Paul Éluard
Original title: La Hermandad de la Sábana Santa

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440243025, Mass Market Paperback)

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is the explosive international bestseller that mixes fact and fiction to tell the riveting story of one of the world’s most controversial relics—the Holy Shroud of Turin—and the desperate race to save it from those who will stop at nothing to possess its legendary power....

A fire at the Turin cathedral and the discovery of a mutilated corpse are the latest in a disturbing series of events surrounding the mysterious cloth millions believe to be the authentic burial shroud of Jesus Christ. Those who dare to investigate will be caught in the cross fire of an ancient conflict forged by mortal sacrifice, assassination, and secret societies tied to the shadowy Knights Templar.

Spanning centuries and continents, from the storm-rent skies over Calvary, through the intrigue and treachery of Byzantium and the Crusades, to the modern-day citadels of Istanbul, New York, London, Paris, and Rome, The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud races to a chilling climax in the labyrinths beneath Turin, where astounding truths will be exposed: about the history of a faith, the passions of man, and proof of the most powerful miracle of all….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:22 -0400)

"A fire at the Cathedral of Turin and the discovery of a strangely mutilated body attract the attention of Italy's special Art Crimes Department. For the fire is only the latest in a troubling series of arsons and break-ins at the cathedral, which houses what millions believe to be the authentic burial shroud of Jesus Christ." "A cop as well as an art historian, department chief Marco Valoni leads a crack team of investigators in a race to solve a crime he's certain is about to shock the world. Someone is planning to steal the Holy Shroud, and Valoni's only suspect - a mystery man who bears the same scars as the unidentified corpse - is currently serving out a sentence in a Turin prison." "Following a trail that stretches from the humble meeting places of the earliest Christian communities to the highest councils of the Vatican and the boardrooms that rule the world, Valoni and his associates will find themselves in the cross fire of an ancient conflict forged by mortal sacrifice, assassination, and secret societies with ties to the shadowy legend of the Knights Templars."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,035,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible