Miles: The Autobiography by Miles Davis

Miles: The Autobiography (1989)

by Miles Davis

Other authors: Quincy Troupe (Author)

Universally acclaimed as a musical genius, Miles Davis was one of the most important and influential musicians in the world. Here, Miles speaks out about his life, friends, drugs, racism and music in general.

Read (199)

English (11)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (13)
The best music autobiography ever?
Yes, quite definitely.
Entertaining beyond question.
I think I've read this three times now, and will probably read it 2-3 times more before I die. ( )
  23Goatboy23 | Jan 17, 2020 |
Read this probably 25 years ago, needed to revisit. Famously honest (or blunt anyway, who knows if he's telling the truth), the last few chapters are tough. All the talk about smacking women around, etc. One of the great musicians in the nation's history, also one of the great narcissist/borderline sociopaths. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Dec 16, 2019 |
He revolutionized music on 5 occasions. Next to Glass & Reich and ArvoPärt, this man’s work was a marked transition in my life. Reading his story opened up the narrative of jazz in my world. I had never read the words“M***F**” so many times in my life. I read it every few years. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
I now have a new Top Time Travel Machine Destination: 52nd St in New York around 1947, where you could hear the likes of Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Max Roach, Thelonius Monk, Bud Powell and more all playing at the jazz clubs. Intoxicating. ( )
  haarpsichord | Nov 5, 2018 |
Wonderful. If you want to get a glimpse into the mind of a great musician, Miles’ autobiography is a collection of crazy intense stories of the life of a man who (in his own words) “changed music five or six times.” While Davis is not shy about his own gifts, one of the most rewarding parts of the book is his regard for fellow musicians. A significant portion of the book is Davis explaining other musicians’ talent- breaking down their strength and weaknesses. This is not a technical analysis of music-- rather a testimonial of Davis’ passion for music and innovation- and a marvelous look into the jazz scene of the 40’s- clear into the 80’s. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 16, 2016 |

Miles Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Troupe, QuincyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eichholtz, IreneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,396,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible