A Woman's Place: A Novel by Lynn Austin

A Woman's Place: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lynn Austin

Member:Jeanperry
Title:A Woman's Place: A Novel
Authors:Lynn Austin
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2006), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Own

A Woman's Place: A Novel by Lynn Austin (2006)

A lovely story of four very different women who become a supportive group of friends when the are placed on the same crew in a shipyard during World War II. I loved their different stories and their search for more meaningful lives. It is Christian fiction, but unlike some in that genre it is a skillfully told story as well, one that made me care deeply for the women and their families. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
I didn't know for half the book whether i liked this book or not. The characters were really caricatures of various roles of women: the fiftyish something unmarried school teacher who feels the need to correct people; the brash, undisciplined Brooklyn girl, the doormat who is finally upset that her family doesnt appreciate her; the 18 yr old who is bound and determined to go to college and be her own person, all living in 1941 America. The story was predictable, but i began to like the characters and the story and the feminism and anti-racism of the author.
Even though i am not religious and was irked by the evangelical attitude of some characters, i know people like them.
I ended up enjoying the book. ( )
  Jeanperry | Nov 21, 2012 |
A fantastic book about women on the homefront during WWII. Lynn Austin brings history alive through the lives of her characters! ....and her character development is great! I am always loaning her books out! ( )
  macnoid | Sep 7, 2012 |
My mother was born in 1913 and my three oldest siblings were born in the thirties. Needless to say, I grew up with lots of family stories about WWII – how my family felt when they heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor, how purchasing power changed with ration books and products changed (oleo that was mixed with yellow food coloring instead of margarine, tanning products in place of women’s hose because silk was needed to make parachutes, and of course, how women’s roles changed. All these stories were brought back to mind when I read A Woman’s Place.

A Woman’s Place by Lynn Austen is definitely on my personal list of favorite books. I liked it so much that I wanted to share it, so have donated a copy to the library. It takes place during WWII on the homefront, following three very different women as they work as electricians in a factory that makes ships. This book follows the lives of these women as their friendship and their faith in God grows through hardships, injustices, and revelations. If you have memories of WWII, it certainly helps to revive them. If you only know about WWII through history class, this book is a real education sharing a part of WWII that rarely gets into the history books. ( )
  Ascluth | Jan 5, 2012 |
There is a lot going on in this novel. The women confront gender discrimination as they enter the workforce and then racial discrimination after they’ve entrenched themselves on the production line. There is also the conflict between husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends as they struggle to figure out where women belong. World War II allowed millions of women to enter the workforce and I can only imagine how these women would do after the war.

Read more on my blog: http://ardentreader.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/a-womans-place/ ( )
  theardentreader | Jul 4, 2011 |
'Es gibt viele tüchtige Frauen', sagt er, 'aber du bist die allerbeste!' Anmut und Schönheit sind vergänglich und kein Grund, eine Frau zu rühmen; aber wenn sie den Herrn ernst nimmt, dann verdient sie Lob. Ihre Mühe darf nicht unbelohnt bleiben: Für das, was sie leistet, soll die ganze Stadt sie ehren.
Sprüche 31,29-31
Virginia Mitchell beobachtete, wie ihr Mann den Sonntagsbraten aufschnitt, und fragte sich, ob er ein Verhältnis hatte.

They watched their sons, their brothers, and their husbands enlist to fight a growing menace across the seas. And when their nation asked, they answered the call as well. Virginia longs to find a purpose beyond others' expectations. Helen is driven by a loneliness money can't fulfill. Rosa is desperate to flee her in-laws' rules. Jean hopes to prove herself in a man's world. Under the storm clouds of destruction that threaten America during the early 1940s, this unlikely gathering of women will experience life in sometimes starling new ways as their beliefs are challenged and they struggle toward a new understanding of what love and sacrifice truly mean.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:28 -0400)

While their men fight on far-flung battlefields, America's women help produce what's necessary for victory. In a Michigan shipyard, four female co-workers forge strong bonds of friendship.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible