Kino no Tabi Volume 1: Book one of THE…

Kino no Tabi Volume 1: Book one of THE BEAUTIFUL WORLD (Pop Fiction) (v.…

by Keiichi Sigsawa

I wasn't really too crazy about this story. It's what's known as a "light novel". It's a series of stories about a young woman Kino who travels on her talking motorcycle Hermes. They both visit odd cities in which the residents do away with each other in odd ways. I didn't find any redeeming features to these stories. In the end, not much happened so I couldn't see the point of it all. For manga, I'd rather read the graphic novel type of story. I think I'll stick to those in the future. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Apr 7, 2016 |
Interesting collection of stories. Some things are lost in the English version, for example, the main character's gender isn't apparent until much later, something that isn't easy to achieve in english. I have to mention, though, that the physical book is beautifully designed. It's probably my favorite that I own. ( )
  locriian | Oct 27, 2014 |
I read the first novel after watching the anime and was not disappointed. I only wish Tokyopop had not abandoned the series. ( )
  Aislyng9 | Jan 23, 2013 |
Beautifully philosopical and absurd. If the TV series is as good it makes for amazing viewing. ( )
  pmg1980 | Dec 12, 2009 |
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

"The World is not beautiful, therefore it is."

The first line in this book, and a powerful one. How funny it is that the one thing everyone strives for is perfection, yet we all agree that a perfect world is impossible. Even if it was possible, would we really want it?

Kino doesn't remember what her original name was, only that it was the name of a flower. The first Kino came into the town she lived in when she was eleven, days before she was to have the operation to make her a grownup. The first Kino was a traveller, spending only three days in each new place.

While "curing" a junked and discarded motorcycle, the first Kino tells the young girl about other places and other lives. Places where you don't have to have an operation to be considered an adult. Places where you don't have to do a job that makes you unhappy, just because it's required. He sparks a light in this little girl, and inadvertently brings about his own death. A new Kino is born. She escapes on Hermes, the repaired and animated motorcycle.

Kino becomes a traveller, moving from place to place, staying only three days. Some places are nice, some strange, some scary, and some are downright dangerous. Kino and Hermes learn about life, themselves, and humanity as a whole.

This was not only a really great story, but a really interesting look at the nature of people and society. As well as an interesting take on the concept of "be careful what you wish for". It challenged my ideas of right and wrong, and what cost they come at. It's the first of a planned eight books, and I am extremely interested to see what Kino and Hermes get into next. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
And then there was darkness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,761,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible