Written in Fire (The Brilliance Trilogy) by…

Written in Fire (The Brilliance Trilogy) (edition 2016)

by Marcus Sakey (Author)

Member:realfish
Title:Written in Fire (The Brilliance Trilogy)
Authors:Marcus Sakey (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2016), 345 pages

Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey

For thirty years humanity has struggled to survive with Brilliants, the one percent of the population born with remarkable gifts. For thirty years humanity has tried to avoid a civil war. They haven't.
The White House is in ruins and Brilliants are being internmed in camps. For years Nick Cooper has tried to fight for what is right and for his family. Now, with everything he holds dear threatened, he has to fight his greatest enemy with the hope of bringing peace. ( )
  creighley | Jul 18, 2017 |
Despite advanced technology and innovative scientific discoveries, jealousy, fear, and paranoia threaten to destroy the country as the brilliants and the normals continue to clash. And now the war Nick Cooper has labored long and hard to prevent seems inevitable as those who manipulate events for their own gain set an army against the Holdfast compound in Wyoming.

The building confrontation between brilliants and normals ratchets up the suspense and keeps the pages turning as unfolding events foreshadow the consequences of the actions taken by both groups. Powerful factions behind the scenes work to influence the outcome and the darker, more menacing feel of this third narrative may unsettle some readers. Astute readers will unravel the mostly-predictable elements of the story but unexpected plot twists will keep them guessing until the final reveal.

Readers should note that “A Better World” is the final book in a trilogy; “Brilliance” and “A Better World” are the first and second volumes.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jun 11, 2017 |
I received an advanced copy of this, the final book in Marcus Sakey's Brilliance trilogy. I am always delighted by the way he makes words and phrases sing. So many times I stopped and reread a sentence because his mastery of language was so delicious. His characters have flesh and blood, sweat and tears, hopes and dreams. They're no more perfect than you or I. So real you can hear distinct voices in your head. I am not sure I will ever see DAR as Daughters of The American Revolution instinctively again, but I can live with that. Although I am ready to find out if Hawk has a successful road trip, I'm ok with not knowing. He's so vividly in my imagination I can see several possibilities for the rest of his story. If this is your first taste of Mr. Sakey's work, go back and read some of his older books while you wait patiently for his next book. You won't regret it. ( )
  BranC | Mar 31, 2016 |
This is more a wrap-up of the entire trilogy than just this book since I never reviewed the first two books.

The first book in The Brilliance Trilogy, Brilliance is about a small percentage of people in the world who are labeled as “brilliants”, as opposed to those who don’t and are considered “norms”. Brilliants have extraordinary senses which can be used in good ways or bad. Nick Cooper, who is a brilliant, uses his skills working as an agent to help the U.S. government track down other brilliants that use their extrasensory powers to commit evil acts. Nick and his partner find themselves tracking a terrorist who has bombed a restaurant, killing many innocent men, women and children. As the investigation unfolds and government secrets come to light, Nick finds himself questioning whether he works for the good guys or the bad guys. 4/5 stars

In the second book in the series, A Better World, Nick became an advisor to the President of the United States. The world’s growing fear of brilliants has escalated due to the activities of a terrorist known as John Smith. Nick works with the government to bring down John Smith, but it’s still questionable which side Nick should be fighting for in order to keep his family and the rest of the world safe. 4/5 stars

Written in Fire is the final book in Marcus Sakey’s trilogy. The White House is in ruins. The President has been killed. Cities have been taken over. The brilliants have become feared and are being persecuted by normal people everywhere. The United States is close to civil war. Nick has lost his job and come close to dying. While working to end the terrorism and stop a war, Nick must find the one person who may have a solution to bringing peace to the nation. 3.5/5 stars

Nick Cooper is a good hero and the dynamics between Nick, his children, his girlfriend, his ex-wife, his co-workers and even the terrorists are wonderfully written. We care about Nick because he genuinely cares about what is best for all of them. Nick isn’t always right and he doesn’t always come out on top. We get glimpses of how the government, the populace and the bad guys think and what defines their actions. There is always that gnawing question of which side is right. Does either side have all the answers? In the world today, we are experiencing terrible acts between people more and more frequently, whether it is over race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. The Brilliance Trilogy can be applied to any of these as an example of what can happen between two disparate groups of people and how far out of control it can become.

While the first two books were amazing, hold-on-by-the-seat-of-your-pants thrillers, this third and final installment failed to excite me in the same way. Most of the great action already happened and there is nothing original added here. It seemed like the storyline grew tiring at this point. However, the series as a whole is definitely a worthy read and even though it’s labeled as a trilogy, the author did leave us with one hanging tidbit that may lead to another book. ( )
  sherribelcher | Mar 7, 2016 |
Written in Fire by Marcus Sakey is the completion of The Brilliance Trilogy. It was as good as the second one was bad. I enjoyed this book start to finish & gave it five stars.

Shannon & Cooper have a challenged relationship. "They were soldiers in a shadow war, both living on the ragged edge of life. In theory that sounded romantic, but in reality it was hell on relationships. She was smart & sexy & incredibly capable, & together they made a formidable team. But they hadn't actually spent much time together."

Natalie, Cooper's ex-wife & the mother of his children is still in love with him.

Cooper is with Ethan, Abe's assistant. They were the head of the team that discovered the 'brilliance' gene.

"Maybe it was the leftover frustration from this morning, or the way the world seemed desperate to destroy itself, or the urine smell of the corridor. Maybe he was just tired & sore & hadn't seen his kids in too damn long. Whatever the reason, the anger surged snake-quick, & without consciously planning the move, he spun & put Ethan up against the wall. The scientist yelped in surprise."

This future dystopian novel is a compelling story. I'm thrilled the the author had a good comeback from the second book of the trilogy. It's a page-burning book that's a pleasure to read.

I would like to thank the publisher, Thomas & Mercer & NetGalley for the complimentary kindle copy in exchange for a fair review. This did not change my opinion for this review.
  carolyninjoy | Feb 18, 2016 |

Marcus Sakeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible