Murder at the Mansion by Alison Golden

Murder at the Mansion

by Alison Golden

Rev. Annabelle Dixon is the vicar in Upton St.Mary, a village in Cornwell in the southwestern corner of England. The area is lovely with grass and trees and fields and flowers. The townspeople knew each other quite well and could be very outspoken. “Whether it was the problematic pothole or controversial building extension, the traditional and proud villagers and very strong opinions and voiced them at every opportunity.”
One day, she heard of a new resident who moved into mansion just outside of town. Although nobody seems to have met him, it didn't stop the gossip, especially because a lot of young women were seen going into the house. Annabelle decided to go pay him a visit and welcome him.
The door was opened the beautiful young woman who said the owner, Sir John Cartwright, had just begun his daily meditation and would not be available for an hour. Annabelle said she would return but as she was leaving, she heard a bloodcurdling scream. She dashed upstairs with the young woman right behind her. She quickly determined from which room she thought the scream came but the door was locked. The young woman said she would go get a key and left. Meanwhile Annabelle pushed on the door and it opened. Sir John was lying on the floor in front of an open window with an arrow in his heart. The young woman did not return and Annabelle searched for her unsuccessfully. She then called the police.
The medical examiner said the man died a while before the scream. The search for the killer moves very slowly because of lack of evidence. During that time two beautiful, wealthy women come to town posing as tourists from France. They were checking on an investment but were quickly spotted as fakes because their French accent was so horrendous.
On the whole, the writing was good from the grammatical perspective. The characterizations left something to be desired. Rev. Annabelle should be an intelligent woman with a lot that of self-confidence. Instead which is around the inspector she comes across very differently. As she presents her ideas to the inspector, she sounds like insecure : “I mean, it's probably nonsense," Annabelle chuckled, "I'm sure just a silly idea, and I'm just wasting your time. I probably shouldn't even be bothering you right now." "And this is just a wild assumption, please ignore me if I'm being terribly ignorant." In a conversation with the church secretary, she said she didn't know what kleptomania meant.
If part of her mission is welcoming new people to the area, she should have made an effort to talked with the person who opened Cartwright door.
At another time, Talking to the inspector as he leaves, she says, “It might be worth knowing what people thought about him. We'll see what we can find out about his past, but sometimes people believing the rumor is as good as a motive.” If she was trying to help inspector, why didn't she tell him what she knew.
She keeps referring to her car as the blue miini. After we learn that's what she drives, why didn't she just call it the car.
One cute conversation: Do archers really exist? In abundance. I'm a persistent target of darting glances.
The short book ends with four pastry recipes. ( )
  Judiex | Mar 4, 2018 |
Cozy mystery with unmemorable characters and a light-weight
murder mystery. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 29, 2017 |
While this was a very quick read, it was light and fun, and very cozy indeed.

Annabelle is entertaining to spend time with- good, since most of the book is her POV. She's skilled at her job as the vicar- both in the organizing the church and in acting as a mediator in village disputes- but still gets tongue-tied and goofy when she develops a crush. It's too short to get into much character development, but all the secondary characters are vivid.

Solid plot, too... though the decisive clue was found via deus ex felina. Yes, the cat is a player, too.

I enjoyed this, airy as it is- sometimes one just wants airy! ( )
  cissa | Apr 5, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,191,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible