Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being…

by Charles Duhigg (Author)

Member:jamesshelley
Title:Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg (Author)
Info:Random House Audio (2016)
Collections:Read but unowned

Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

Nothing earth shattering here - If you have been following this genre of "self-help" books , social anthropology and group dynamics ; most of the topics would be familiar . Duhigg does quote some real life examples to go with the concepts which I found interesting ( Quantus / Airbus crash) , however it begins to drag towards the end . ( )
  Vik.Ram | May 5, 2019 |
I really enjoyed reading this book - it is that rare combination of good writing and useful, actionable insights! Thank you Mr. Duhigg! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Not sure how to rate this book.

Stuff is quite hard to read. Long winded and there are some stuff that's quite hard to comprehend. There is also an example such as french airplane flight 447 crash which is a sad and tragic story. But there are some good learning points as well. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
Lots of interesting insights at the intersection of business and psychology. I got a lot from the chapters on group process and goal setting. Reminiscent of Malcolm Gladwell in use of moderately entertaining anecdotes to make a point. Very little about productivity, in terms of getting more done -- more a focus on being successful overall. ( )
  libraryhead | Feb 21, 2018 |
(Rating: 3.5 /5.0, rounded down) ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081299339X, Hardcover)

From the author of the New York Times bestselling phenomenon The Power of Habit comes a fascinating new book that explores the science of productivity, and why, in today’s world, managing how you think—rather than what you think—can transform your life.

A young woman drops out of a PhD program and starts playing poker. By training herself to envision contradictory futures, she learns to anticipate her opponents’ missteps—and becomes one of the most successful players in the world.

A group of data scientists at Google embark on a four-year study of how the best teams function, and find that how a group interacts is more important than who is in the group—a principle, it turns out, that also helps explain why Saturday Night Live became a hit.

A Marine Corps general, faced with low morale among recruits, reimagines boot camp—and discovers that instilling a “bias toward action” can turn even the most directionless teenagers into self-motivating achievers.

The filmmakers behind Disney’s Frozen are nearly out of time and on the brink of catastrophe—until they shake up their team in just the right way, spurring a creative breakthrough that leads to one of the highest-grossing movies of all time.

What do these people have in common?

They know that productivity relies on making certain choices. The way we frame our daily decisions; the big ambitions we embrace and the easy goals we ignore; the cultures we establish as leaders to drive innovation; the way we interact with data: These are the things that separate the merely busy from the genuinely productive.

At the core of Smarter Faster Better are eight key concepts—from motivation and goal setting to focus and decision making—that explain why some people and companies get so much done. Drawing on the latest findings in neuroscience, psychology, and behavioral economics—as well as the experiences of CEOs, educational reformers, four-star generals, FBI agents, airplane pilots, and Broadway songwriters—this painstakingly researched book explains that the most productive people, companies, and organizations don’t merely act differently.

They view the world, and their choices, in profoundly different ways.

In The Power of Habit, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Charles Duhigg explained why we do what we do. In Smarter Faster Better, he applies the same relentless curiosity, deep reporting, and rich storytelling to explain how we can improve at the things we do. It’s a groundbreaking exploration of the science of productivity, one that can help anyone learn to succeed with less stress and struggle, and to get more done without sacrificing what we care about most—to become smarter, faster, and better at everything we do.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 12 Dec 2015 02:24:40 -0500)

Redefining productivity as a discipline involving how one thinks, identifies goals, constructs teams, and makes decisions, explains how to transform thinking behaviors to increase self-motivation and shares illustrative examples.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible